Good solo character?

So I love BL immensely and figured I would buy Battleborn and give it a shot.

I have never played it so could anyone suggest a good character to use to solo through the campaign with?

4 Likes

That really depends on your play-style. The “every player” character is probably Oscar Mike. Do you prefer gun play, melee, high skill, … ?

4 Likes

Well for borderlands I really enjoy sniper builds or siren cat builds that focus on SMG’s.

3 Likes

You can do pretty well with Marquis or Thorn for sniper-style play. For a more elemental play-style - that’s a little harder. Kelvin is ice/melee; Alani is water/healer; Miko is another elemental/healer.

I’d start with Oscar Mike just because he’s the safest to get familiar with the main game mechanics and start gaining some gear.

4 Likes

Thanks, and is it anything like borderlands with a shared stash? Should I save gear for other toons?

1 Like

You have a shared inventory (which you can use in-game credits to expand.) Everything goes in there, and then you build load-outs of three items from that. From memory there are seven different gear types which come in various colour tiers (should look familiar!) Some gears are specific to a faction or character, but most can be used by anyone.

2 Likes

That’s not technically true. Any character can wear any gear, but only the character or faction a piece of gear is designed for will get the passive (the red text) affect, e.g. anybody can wear Montana’s outfit, but only he gets the reduced cooldown effect on his minigun.

What platform do you play on, Sehenry? If it’s the PC, I’ll join you in those missions sometime.

2 Likes

I bought it on the Xbox but if the PC ever puts it on sale I would buy it there also.

3 Likes

I find that over the course of my time playing the game my choice of character for story ended up being based on the mission. You can play any hero on any mission but if your going solo you need to be prepared for some possible difficulty.
Missions with lots of defense points are really well handled by “Territorial” type Heros like Kleese or Galilea as they like to set up shop and own control points.

One stages like The Algorithm almost always play a hero with ranged basic attack simply for ISIC. Mellka is pretty good over all as she can build decent AOE, has decent ranged attacks and damn strong melee add in some health regen she is a very solid damage dealer, Deande is another good character but she is a bit more advanced with her passive. Shayne and Aurox are one of my favorite Rogue Battleborn. They do a really good amount of damage and have a good array of helixes for self sustaining and damage dealing. Also they are not that hard to get the hang of. Biggest thing to remember is that the Boomerang is really strong ranged utility for keeping pressure on an enemy you don’t want to approach yet.
Lastly the most obvious single player choice in my mind is Montana. He is very solid without even selecting his helixes, he can build some damn good damage and give him some more health and shield regen items he will just never die even if you take cover for just 10 seconds to breath.

Hope this helps you make your way though the story missions easier!

4 Likes

There’s also Beatrix, who is a sniper/support character (so not great for solo play, admittedly), as well as Toby and ISIC, who play best as snipers despite their descriptions being more defense-based. Toby has better crowd control, and ISIC better defense; both are, in my opinion, two of the strongest characters one can use in the story and ops missions.

2 Likes

There is only one answer to this question: Shayne

1 Like

LOL good to know.

My game should arrive tomorrow and I will try it out.

Apparently it is drastically different than what I was expecting but we’ll see =)

1 Like

Not Ambra? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

To be fair, I love Ambra but can only do what I do with her using the gear you get from Mastering her.

2 Likes

As a long time Ambra main I would agree. She is also one of those characters who you really need to explore different helix combos to get the most out of her. On top of that I think of her like Phoebe in the regard that she gets some of her best Helix options from rank unlocks. Swapping Wind for Slam can make here a strong Control capable of deleting large groups of enemies without her ult.

3 Likes

Sounds like some of you Steam peeps want to have an OPs reunion this week. AmIRight?

4 Likes

Maybe. :dukewhistle:

1 Like

Add me on Xbox if you want. GT is Genericktag.

1 Like