Grenades, Shields, and Barrel Damage Post Patch

Since I’ve been… highly critical of the game in the past few weeks, I wanted to start off by saying:

Thank you, Gearbox.

It felt really good to go into Cistern of Slaughter to get leveled to 60, and actually use Iron Bear. Normally, I pack a Carrier for the Cistern so that I can deal with the Rakks (in SLOOOOOW MODE) but, I never even pulled it out of my pack, because Iron Bear feels good.

But, while in Cistern, I noticed a couple of things:

1.) Grenade Mods - I guess I thought that Mayhem Modifiers would retroactively be added to grenades that were previously dropped on Mayhem Modes, but it appears they aren’t. My Recurring Hex from M10 is just a recurring hex. Is this how it is supposed to be?

2.) Shields - Shields that deal damage / nova / etc… are still terrible. I had (mistakenly) thought that Shields were going to get buffed as well, but looking back over it, I don’t see any mention of it, and I have to say, it’s a bummer.

3.) Barrel Damage - Did I misunderstand the Bordercast? I was under the impression that Barrel damage was going to scale on enemies, but not on players… Having a Jabber heave a corrosive Barrel at Iron Bear and 1 shot Iron Bear (From Full, I had just hopped in) was a surprise.

All in all, I’m happy with the patch. I feel like I have a path forward with Moze, and that I don’t feel so pigeonholed on Builds.

A few guns still seem SUPER LOW on Damage (Carrier), but overall, I don’t feel like I’m stuck in an endless loop of trying to farm a Monarch, that will never drop.

I would still like to see some of the mayhem modifiers just leave the pool, or simply stop dropping at a certain mayhem level, but so far things feels promising. I’m excited to start the DLC, and see where it takes Moze. I don’t think that I have been able to say that since Mayhem 2.0 dropped, and I’ve been especially bitter since the first balance Patch.

2 Likes

Guns had Mayhem indicators in the code as soon as Mayhem 2.0 launched; they just wheren’t visible until the fix. Grenades did not so every single one was M0.

It’s true that Gearbox never said that shield effects that cause damage would be scaled. It’s also true that they SHOULD be scaled just like melee since refarming without increasing defensive capability would be a waste. Not that such effects where ever really any good even without mayhem.

I don’t recall anything about barrels in the patch notes.

Which is why I was confused on the Bordercast. They specifically brought up that they were going to be scaling it in the bordercast.

When I saw that it wasn’t in the patch notes, I thought that it was just an oversight. And then… no, it wasn’t there.

It could just be something they are planing for the future. It wouldn’t be the first time.

The ffyl overhaul in this recent patch for example was first talked about 6 or 7 months ago.

1 Like

Nova damage is decent when Mayhem mode is off. Spike damage leaves much to be desired even with Mayhem off though.