[GUI] Passing values between gametype and GUI scripts

Other than writing to a file and then reading it, what’s a good way to pass values (mostly strings) between gametype scripts and GUI scripts? Thanks.

I just discovered the function MainUI_ScarEvent which allows you to execute arbitrary gametype code from within a GUI screen. That at least takes care of communications in one direction.

I think it’s @Dwarfinator that’s good at GUI stuff

I suppose I could do this:

UI_SetTextLabelText(<sScreenName>, <sElementName>, <sTextString>)

But I would still need to monitor the screen element continuously for changes, which might be less efficient than simply writing/reading a file and reloading the screen.

Also, does anybody have HWRM installed in “Program Files”? Does writing to the player profile folder cause problems with UAC? I have the game installed in a separate partition so this does not apply to me.

Passing values between scopes has always been a hassle. Using an external file is the way to go.

I used to use a binary system by showing/hiding elements to transfer numeric values before, but it was a lot more complicated than writing in a file, and also not useable for strings.

Will there be UAC issues for those people whose Steam directory is in C:\Program Files?

I run out of C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Homeworld\HomeworldRM without any issues…

Okay, good.