[Guide] An Introduction to Borderlands Math

Nice post. Cooldown rate makes a lot more sense now.

By any chance, can you go over a breakdown on sticky weapon damage? I heard that the damage on the weapon card is dropped by 33% before you start getting the sticky bonuses. In addition, I have heard that the bonus is additive. On top of that, I have also heard you only get 10 seconds or a reload to get as many stickies on the target as possible (whichever comes first).

2 Likes

Stickies are on my list of things I’d like to do a write up on. I’m yet to test stickies myself so unfortunately I can’t help you just yet.

3 Likes

There was a sortof breakdown for them in response to this post : https://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/t/torgue-stickies-are-bugged/4173895

2 Likes

Brilliant post, @Prismatic. This one will be a well revisited resource for years.

3 Likes

how is this man not a community badass yet?

3 Likes

I recently tested that:

Basically, Torgue sticky does mostly what it states, but all damage is multiplied by ×0.7. Which means that it’s going to do less damage than impact bullets if you’re not using a weapon with a large magazine (mostly AR’s). With many pistols, shotguns or rocket launchers you’re going to do less damage overall with stickies if their sticky bonus isn’t particularly high.

One user suggested it wasn’t like this at launch and they nerfed the entire thing because damage output was insane with AR’s.

But yes, it is additive. And if you wait too long so that they explode before reloading, they receive no bonus at all, all doing just the base 70% damage.

3 Likes

I’ve never been more excited to be in a math class! :DDD

2 Likes

Maths is useful for two things: 1) astrophysics and 2) Borderlands

5 Likes

Absolutely fascinating and fun guide, thank you.

1 Like

I’ve added a section that walks through a gun damage example and addresses multiplicative boosts and how we can compare which boost offers more value. The section is extremely wordy and I’d like it to be shorter, so if anyone has suggestions on it please let me know. I’m really unsure if the section even makes sense to anyone but me. So please voice all constructive criticism of it, I want nit picking!

Also if anyone thinks a section could use an example let me know. All the better if you have an idea for interesting an insightful example.

5 Likes

Just to give you some feedback: It think it’s perfect. Even though I’m no math-y kinda guy, I think I fully understood everything you said. For me, it’s even better when it’s wordy. So, yeah, great work, man!

2 Likes

I’ve added a section on double dipping bonuses. There’s enough in the game and the terminoogy comes up enough that it’s worth knowing of.

I also made few minor format tweaks and added a link to the general Borderlands Gun Damage post I made.

I’m tempted to add a section on when each bonus is calculated although as it already sits at the bottom of the General damage thread I’ll leave it there unless anyone has questions on it that would be well suited to being answered here.

2 Likes

How is this not pinned?

Because “Math” scare people? :smirk:

If he renamed it to, “An Introduction to Borderlands Puppies and Kittens”, I’m sure they will pin it then. But then the comments will become nasty and filled with threats of lawsuits because ppl expected puppies and kittens but found formulas instead; which triggered their high school and/or college math PTSD so they want to be compensated for the pain and suffering induced by said formulas. It’s just too risky! :grin:

1 Like

How about like the books:

[Guide] Borderlands Math for Dummies

Friendly yet recognizable. (Might get sued by “for Dummies”?)

1 Like

It’s not pinned because we already have quite a collection, and too many pinned posts fill up the category pages. It is linked from the Community Resources Guide iirc.

4 Likes

This is absolutely amazing Prismatic! Incredible job thank you so much! I was wondering if you would be able to also break down damage calculation for Action Skills?

1 Like

Action Skills are hard to do a general calculation for as they vary significantly.

As a general they get

Action Skill Damage = Base Skill Damage x Action skill damage x Splash x Special Multipliers x Elemental Multiplier

Is there a more specific Action skill I can breakdown for you?

3 Likes

Wow man thank you for such a quick reply! This is very helpful. Actually I was looking into Rakk Attack, I was wanting to work on a “Caster” R4k Fl4k. So basically I was hoping to find the damage formula so I know which stats to look for to maximum as much damage as possible out of my Rakk Attack. I noticed in your formula you didn’t manage overall damage (Damage % Bonus). Some skills fl4k has, gives just Damage Bonus opposed to weapon and action skill damage. Does this Neutral Damage Bonus also increase Action Skill Damage?

Generally when it’s just Damage it will fit into one of the two primary special multipliers. The community labels these v1 and v2. They weren’t something I covered in this guide as I just labelled them under the Special Multipliers tag. You’ll have to check the more in depth damage write up I did on for a brief overview of them

Back to your question though, I’m not a Fl4k player myself so I’m going to reference @Ratore’s work in this excellent doc. You’ll find which bonuses apply where within the aforementioned special multipliers.

The relevant section of the doc for action skills says

Action Skill Damage = [(Action Skill Base Damage) * (1 + GrimHarvest + IntStalkerHuman) * (1 + Frenzy + EmpathicRage + PackTactics + SkagDmg + Interplanetary + Powe Inside + Victor Rush) * (1 + HiddenMachine + HuntersEyeArmor + DE4DEYE + IceBreaker) * (1 + ClassModSplash Dmg + ArtifactAreaDmg + SplashDamageAnoint) * (1 + ArtifactElementaDmg + Scorcher)]

4 Likes