[Guide/Build] Kodiak - The Comprehensive Iron Bear Guide

Just seems like a quicker shield would be better with topped off proccing more. The loop bonus isn’t really that great from my experience with it.

Edit: also it only works while the shield is completely broken, not while it’s anywhere between 1 and 99%

Confirmed that Ember’s Blaze’s incendiary aura works while in Iron Bear. Considerably better than the Red Suit for Moze anyway since it has decent capacity, and Stoke the Embers may or may not boost the incendiary damage.

I tested out the All-in for a while. Capacity is somewhat low but the deal breaker for me is the delay and recharge rates, which are terrible. Takes forever to proc topped off and you remain vulnerable for quite a while. The + 50% CDR is nice, but I still prefer a shield with better rates.

So far the best I think has been the big boom blaster. Quite low capacity, but it compensates with a Low delay and good recharge rate, plus the effects like booster for 60% shield, bullet absorption or reflect and such.

I also want to try band of sitorak with shield of redistribution and deathless to compensate the low capacity while taking advantage of the ridiculous rates… but i’ll need some thinking to adjust the build. (my preferred build rn has only 6 points in shield of retribution).

Interesting idea about the band of sitorak. I will have to test out the one I have squirreled away. Should be able to get a decent amount of shield hp out of it with a low life class mod.

So, I see IB cooldown is still bugged. Respecced a couple of times to get my build right and ended up with an 11 second and then 8 second cooldown. Used to be like 25 seconds with full fuel usage, so I’d hop out at like 1/2 way to avoid running around like a chicken.

I won’t complain because it means I can stay in IB all the time and not have to worry, but it’ll be weird when they fix it.

You might be surprised how little you can get out of it haha. Its capacity is usually under 2k, so percent boosts are useless, and TRL can boost it a bit, but it’d take a lot to get it over like 8k.

You don’t want the band of sitorak to be much larger than it is, that defeats the purpose of the shield entirely. It’s ok to boost it up a little because the recharge rate is so fast, but you want it to get full as quickly as possible. It plays more like a rough rider. It procs Topped Off really quickly because when it breaks it almost instantly is filled back up, it gives you a HP boost, and a damage boost while broken which is useful for face tanking a badass.

You have to rely on your health pool a lot more though, which can be a problem with dots.

It generally doesn’t get a high enough capacity to make it worthwhile, and bloodletter would ruin the rate/delay enough. BBB is way better for a deathless build.

1 Like

I can back up that Big Boom Blaster opinion, I’ve got a double capacity, shock resistant Big Boom Blaster with the 75% increased health/shields anointment that works wonders. A hard toss up for me between using a Transformer with a shock splash weapon or the BBB.

1 Like

Added a note to the Rocketeer Class Mod about today’s buff to the “While Auto Bear is Active, deal bonus incendiary damage.” anointment. Should be quite tasty on Auto Bear builds.

1 Like

GREAT thread…Thanks Aaron…remember you doing a ton of stuff for shadowevil…the man behind the scenes organizer IIRC.

Anyway. Quick question. Whats the latest verdict on Grizzled versus Explosive Punctuation??

With these guidelines.

1.Can probably only spare 4-5 points between the two.

1. I mainly use Blast Master Com

2. I normally fight as Infantry on Moze with massive splash builds but would like a decent “kill stuff” ability on IB for the fun of it and something other than hopping in and out all the time.

Having said that…it’s “probably” more important to get IB back quicker then additional fuel and armor…etc.

I think the verdict was unless you have a massive investment in Grizzled (like, 8 or more points or so), Explosive Punctuation is better. Although Topped Off easily beats the two of them while it is active. Don’t quote me on this though, I’m not too sure myself. Might check the Skill Rating thread for that.

2 Likes

I usually enjoy Moxsy’s builds a lot. But idk this time. I kinda disagree with a lot that he said/did in this Iron Bear build of his. What do you guys think?

Also, it’s funny… In my testings at the beginning of Maliwan Takedown (trying to standardize enemies killed and amount of them), bear trooper outperforms raging bear in terms of time spent inside IB, even though raging bear seems to be the “norm” and “accepted” that it is better for mobbing.

2 Likes

What is it you disagree with?

The Eruption cancelling is a bit exploity and that type of play is not up my alley but it does obviously work and is pretty crazy.

I prefer to use Blast Master still over either of them but that’s me.

He doesn’t seem to know how Explosive Punctuation actually works in practice, and also thinks matched set reduces heat per shot of iron bear. :smiley:

2 Likes

Things like spending 5 points into Matched Set… Also, he already has Full Means of Destruction and Full Matched Set, but still spend one point into Some for the Road? Really? The magazine itself lasts more than 5 seconds. But he spends a point into it anyway… instead of going for Autobear, for example.

Idk, I feel like it’s a build not as much centered into IB as it is a full moze… You could have this exact build and not use IB at all, and you still be a good threat. Also, his survivability outside IB is entirely dependent on the cloning maddening tracker grenades…

I’m realizing now that it just isn’t what I was expecting… that’s why I “disagree”. When I think of an IB build, I think of almost entirely dependent of IB, fast cool downs, get back in ASAP and so on, and this is not that type of build…

Humm… I don’t even know if it does or not. But he has 2 items that match in his inventory anyway lol

Naw it doesn’t. The reduced heat per shot is for COV weapons since they don’t have magazines, last I heard it didn’t even work not sure if it’s been fixed.

Don’t know about the heat…It definitely increases Mag size the more matched weapons you have.

4 Tediores or 4 Maliwans gives a little boost…

I think it was around 20% IIRC

if you are going for a constant shoot build or Tediore chucking…it’s a consideration at least.

Yeah, I was tripping. Its either magazine size or reduced heat, since they are the same, just on different weapons.

Yes it increases mag size and it’s supposed to decrease heat per shot on COV weapons(the cov part was bugged not sure if fixed) but that’s not what we are talking about Moxsi is claiming it reduces heat per shot for Iron Bear which it does not.

1 Like

Understand…All the YouTubers don’t have near the knowledge depth that the forum has on IB. Great and skilled players…certainly…but they sometimes just don’t know the intricacies that wind up important.

Annnnd I’m sure it’s a “time thing”. they have to balance additional effort to REALLY get into a character vs monetization efforts on their YouTube…production times…etc.

I’m not saying that’s bad…They are making a living and I respect hard work.

Look at Joltz’s latest Moze build…he clearly specks some questionable skills but blows stuff up so well because of his skill and because of his reputation…few will question it.

1 Like

Of course, I agree. And he still managed a very well balanced build. Many of the things we discussed here he is using / talked about. Just not in-depth.

1 Like