In the current state of Borderlands 3 (as of early January 2020), Moze is considered by many to be the “weakest” of the Vault Hunters. Many attribute this to the lack of sustainability in terms of survival, as well as issues with anointments, Iron Bear, and skills that lack synergy or a worthy use. In the hopes of improving the Gunner’s situation, this list is created. Rather than having them float around the corners of the forum, I’ve gone around and collected issues/solutions that I’ve seen repeatedly pop up in the Moze forum in the hopes that we can rub our brain cells together and help address the issues that plague Moze.
If you don’t see an issue that you believe should be addressed, or believe you have a good solution to a raised issue, speak up about it. It isn’t limited to one solution per problem.
Problem: High Mayhem levels make it easy to kill oneself with Splash Damage, especially with “Torgue Cross Promotion” increasing splash damage radius.
- Add splash damage resistance to one of Moze’s skills.
Problem: “Tenacious Defense” does not synergize well with low-hp builds.
- Change the fully-depleted requirement to require 50%~75% of total shields be depleted instead (add a cooldown if necessary.)
- Make it function as a sort of buffer if shields are depleted (If shield equals 100, and an attack equals 120 and would deplete the shield, Tenacious Defense acts as an extra 40 shield)
- Add a function to prevent damage to Moze’s health bar if Tenacious Defense activates.
- Change the gun damage bonus to “v2” damage.
Problem: Relying on grenades for restoring health with “Vampyr” is inconsistent and gear reliant to be effective.
- Add a .125% (per point invested) life restoration to all gun-based splash damage (reduce grenade healing if necessary.)
- Change it to restore based on maximum health instead of missing health.
Problem: “Thin Red Line” and other methods that reserve health below 50% disable health-gating on Moze.
- Attach an effect to one of the Shield of Retribution skills that prevents excess damage from rolling over into the health pool.
Problem: “Behind the Iron Curtain” is inefficient due to the rest of the skill tree increasing shield capacity more than this skill can keep up with.
- Increase the recharge rate based on a percentage of your shield capacity instead of increasing the shield’s innate recharge rate.
- Heavily increase the recharge rate bonus. (Bonuses were previously buffed on April 2nd, 2020.)
Other Survivability Propositions:
- Add increased Shield Regeneration Rate to “Vladof Ingenuity”. Added on April 23rd, 2020.
- Add more means of sustainment similar to “Vampyr” to the “Shield of Retribution” and “Bottomless Mags” skill trees. “Redistribution” and “Rushin’ Offensive” were given survival qualities on April 23rd, 2020.
- Add an effect that restores health based on incendiary damage dealt to “Selfless Vengeance”.
- Add an effect that restores health based on incendiary damage dealt to “Cloud of Lead”.
- Add a life-steal effect to “Scrappy” for three seconds upon switching weapons.
- Make “Security Bear” activate on Action Skill start and not be delayed for a few seconds.
- Add an indicator the the HUD indicating the shield strength of “Security Bear”.
- Allow “Security Bear” to reactivate while Auto Bear is active.
- Add radiation resistance to “Vladof Ingenuity”.
- Add a passive health regeneration and reduces shield delay to nearby teammates while “Security Bear” is active.
- Add health regeneration to “Forge”.
- Add (Moze) damage reduction to “Stainless Steel Bear”.
Problem: “Selfless Vengeance” does not synergize well with the Bottomless Mags Tree, and the bonus is weak.
- Change the Incendiary bonus to scale in strength with how long it has been since you last reloaded.
- Add a considerable reload speed bonus.
- Replace health penalty with an incendiary Damage-over-Time applied to Moze (with bonus incendiary damage extended to teammates whenever Moze is on fire).
Problem: “Full-Can of Whoop-Ass” can interfere with a teammate’s build if they are intentionally depleting their shield for melee damage bonuses.
- Limit the effect to Iron Bear’s vicinity, or change the effect to increase teammate recharge rate and recharge delay the closer in proximity to Iron Bear they are.
- Remove team effect and increase the shield recharge speed by 50%.
Problem: The Shield of Retribution skill tree has too many “Gun Damage” bonuses.
- Change “Desperate Measure”'s bonus gun damage into “V1” damage that can be applied by any source instead of just weapons.
Problem: “Why Can’t I Carry All These Grenades” is largely redundant due to Moze’s grenade regeneration abilities.
- Add a bonus to Moze’s grenade-throwing rate based on the numbers of grenades carried.
- Add three grenades per point invested.
- Enable grenades to be thrown while sprinting.
- Add a chance to not consume grenades when thrown.
- Add increased grenade damage.
Problem: “Explosive Punctuation” is not worth investing into due to better sources of Action Skill Cooldown existing.
- Heavily increase the cooldown bonus.
- Change the skill to have a chance to reduce action skill cooldown by x seconds when splash damage is dealt.
Problem: “Short Fuse” is inconsistent.
- Change secondary explosion chance to 75%~100% and reduce secondary explosion damage to 15% to enable consistency.
Other Skill Propositions:
- Allow “Rushin’ Offensive” to enable throwing grenades while running.
- Allow “Specialist Bear” to add a different bonus for having different types of Iron bear weapons equipped. Buffed on April 9th, 2020 from 25% to 60%.
- Remove the diminishing returns on “Grizzled”, reduce the effect as necessary.
Problem: Iron Bear can only use splash-dealing weapons to restore health with “Vampyr”, limiting weapon choice.
- Move the Iron Bear life-steal effect to Deadlines and remove the splash requirement.
- Add more Iron Bear life-steal options to Shield of Retribution and Bottomless Mags that aren’t tied to splash damage.
Problem: The “Bear Fist” weapons and augments underperform.
- Enable melee bonuses and effects to affect the Bear Fist weapons.
- Increase the overall speed and reduce the fuel cost of the “Close the Distance” augment.
- Add a bonus damage resistance to Iron Bear while Bear Fist weapons are equipped.
- Add a movement speed bonus to Iron Bear while Bear Fist weapons are equipped.
Problem: The “Salamander” weapons and augments underperform.
- Increase the damage of the Salamander weapons and augments. Buffed on April 9th, 2020.
- Reduce the damage penalty against shielded enemies.
- Add a bonus damage reduction while the Salamander is equipped.
Problem: The “Vanquisher” rocket augments (Not the unaugmented “Vanquisher” rockets) underperform.
- Heavily increase the damage and increase the reloading time to five seconds from six for Hammerdown Protocol. Buffed on April 9th, 2020.
- Increase the damage of the “Active Tracking” rockets. Buffed on March 5th, 2020.
- Increase the damage-increasing effect of the “Target Softening” rockets.
Problem: Auto Bear can be physically knocked around by small enemies.
- Increase Auto Bear’s weight.
Problem: Iron Bear’s Action Skill Cooldown is excessive for the strength that it currently offers at endgame.
- Reduce the cooldown time. Buffed on April 2nd, 2020.
Problem: Iron Bear’s performance at the higher Mayhem levels is underachieving
- Add a scaling that increases Iron Bear’s damage based on the Mayhem level active.
Problem: Iron Bear’s mid-air jump slows the mech down if the Speed Demon mayhem modifier is active.
Propositions: Adjust Iron Bear’s mid-air jump to function appropriately with the Speed Demon modifier.
Problem: None of the capstones for Moze are applicable while using her Action Skill.
- Enable Short Fuse to activate while piloting Iron Bear.
- Enable Forge to passively regenerate ammo in Iron Bear’s armaments or reduce heat.
- Enable Tenacious Defense to act as a one-time fail-safe that restores 40% of Iron Bear’s armor if it would be destroyed instead.
Problem: Iron Bear is cumbersome to use for anointment triggering.
- Add a feature to summon an Auto Bear by holding the Action Skill button (similar to Attack Command) to enable easier anointment triggering and Auto Bear-focused builds.
Problem: The “After exiting Iron Bear, do not consume ammo for 5 seconds” is redundant with “Some for the Road”.
- Replace with “After exiting Iron Bear, have a 50% chance to gain ammo instead of consuming ammo for 10 seconds”.
- Allow Some for the Road and the anointment to stack together for 10 seconds of no-ammo consumption.
Problem: The “While Auto Bear is active, constantly regenerate 8% of magazine size per second” is lacking.
- Change it to “While Auto Bear is active, weapons have a 25% chance to add ammo to the magazine.”
Problem: The “After exiting Iron Bear, the next 2 magazines will have 10% increased fire rate and 20% critical damage” anointment is lacking.
- Increase the strength of the bonuses to 20% fire rate and 30% critical damage.
Problem: “After exiting Iron Bear, the next 3 magazines will have 33% increased reload speed and 67% increased handling” anointment is lacking.
Problem: Iron Bear lacks anointments for usage while piloting it.
- Add a shield anointment that adds bonus splash damage on activating Iron Bear for 25 seconds.
- Add anointments for bonus elemental damage while piloting Iron Bear.
Problem: Moze is punished for switching weapons while most anointments are active, and thus “trapped” into using one weapon until Iron Bear is able to be redeployed.
- Add more anointments that activate on criteria not related to the end of an Action Skill, such as switching weapons, dealing splash damage, depleting/refilling a shield, or throwing a grenade.
- Make Moze’s anointments persist across weapons with the same anointment.
Other Anointment Propositions:
- Remove the kill requirement on the “30% Action Skill Cooldown after exiting Iron Bear” anointment.
- Add Moze-specific versions of the elemental Action-Skill-End anointments that better mesh with her toolkit (whether it be longer durations or different activation conditions).
Problem: Collecting a health pick-up stops shield regeneration (presumably when the Bloodletter class mod is equipped).
- Adjust the Bloodletter to prevent this.
Problem: Moze’s ammo regeneration skills do not mention reduced regeneration effectiveness on Heavy Weapons.
- Mention this in the skill descriptions or remove the reduced effectiveness.
Problem: Several of Moze’s Legendary Class Mods are un-intuitive or ineffective.
- Remove the penalties on the Bloodletter. (They don’t display on the card anymore but are still in effect.)
- Add a special effect of passive percentage-based health regeneration to the Bloodletter.
- Replace the skills on the Rocketeer with “Vampyr”, “Stoke the Embers”, and “Auto Bear” to better suit a class mod designed to utilize Auto Bear.
- Add +50% Action Skill Cooldown Rate to the Bear Trooper class mod.
- Remove or buff the damage cap on the Bear Trooper’s unique effect.
- Remove the clause where the user gains decreased fuel usage with each kill on the Raging Bear.
- Add an effect where extra fuel is gained based on the damage dealt by Iron Bear.
- Reduce the time required to hit the maximum corrosive damage on the Green Monster.
- Enable the corrosive effect of the Green Monster to apply to Iron Bear weapons
- Replace the bonus corrosive damage bonus of the Green Monster with one that convert’s Mozes’ incendiary skills to corrosive.
- Increase the maximum damage cap of the Green Monster’s corrosive effect to 400% over the course of 20 seconds of continuous fire.
- Add “Pull the Holy Pin” to the Mind Sweeper.
Problem: Inconsistent ability to trigger special effects while in Iron Bear (for example, the Electric Banjo relic’s tesla effect doesn’t work at all, while the Mind-Sweeper class mod’s mini-grenades do.)
- Enable more effects to activate while in Iron Bear.
Problem: “Means of Destruction” does not properly regenerate grenade ammo if grenades are used. (Console issue)
Problem: The “Rocketeer” class mod does not work properly if the user is not the host.
Problem: The anointment for producing grenades while in Iron Bear does not activate in subsequent activations of Iron Bear.
Problem: Scorching RPMs and Phalanx Doctrine only boost the damage of Iron Bear’s left arm, just like Desperate Measures did before it was fixed.
Problem: Iron Bear doesn’t get the bonus damage from Drowning in Brass or Phalanx Doctrine if Moze accumulates stacks before summoning him. Iron Bear only gets the bonus damage from kills made while he is active.
Problem: “Rushin’ Offensive” no longer allows you to initiate a sprint while firing a weapon as of April 23rd, 2020.
Problem: “Force Feedback” does not actually restore any % of your shield on a critical kill.
Problem: The “While Auto Bear is active, deal 20% bonus incendiary damage” anointment is lacking.
- Resolved! The 20% damage bonus is now 75% as of January 16th 2020.
Problem: The “After exiting Iron Bear, the next 2 magazines will have 40% bonus incendiary damage” is redundant due to similar, superior anointments existing.
- Resolved! The 40% damage bonus is now 125% as of January 16th 2020.
Problem: Bottomless Mags lacks any sort of survivability improvement for Moze.
- Resolved! “Redistribution” now passively regenerates health while active and “Rushin’ Offensive” can health-steal as of April 23rd, 2020.
Problem: “Torgue Cross-Promotion” is oftentimes more detrimental to Moze than useful.
- Resolved! “Torgue Cross-Promotion” now boosts splash damage alongside the original bonus as of April 23rd, 2020.
Problem: “Dakka Bear” underperforms.
- Resolved! Iron Bear and the turret user now deal more damage together as of April 23rd, 2020.
Problem: Automatic ammo pick-ups from the ground interfere with ammo regeneration.
- Semi-Resolved! “Forge” now fills up the player’s magazine even when your reserve ammunition is full as of April 23rd, 2020.