Hack and Slash, anyone?

I’m curious if anyone else here plays anything hack and slash like Metal Gear Rising, Devil May Cry and the likes. Usually this style of game is overshadowed by other more popular game types, so I’m curious if anyone here enjoys them as well.

1 Like

I play both of them. Castlevania series as well ;).

I played the hell out of Bayonetta and Dante’s Inferno

Played Viewtiful Joe, The Wonderful 101, and Bayonetta/Bayonetta 2. I also have MGR:Revengance and DMC4 on steam, but still haven’t started on the altter.

I love Bayonetta and Metal Gear Rising (Actually I love all of Platnium Games’s stuff, shame I dont own a Wii-U), but I havnt played much else in the genre that I enjoyed. I could never get into DMC or other games.

I would LOVE to play a MGS:Rising type game where the enemies wernt cyborgs though, I want my Kill Bill bloodspurts goddamnit!

Rising was really excellant, I had a grin on my face the entire way through that just go bigger and bigger as every hour went by. The fast-pace, the pseudeo-philisophical monalouges and the sheer ridiclusas of everything made it seem like a game I woulf make if I had a Dev team who obeyed by every command (and loads of money).

1 Like

Personally, I would love to see a Force Unleashed game that played similarly to Metal Gear Rising. The blade mode gimmick already would work for a lightsaber and slicing stuff up, the sword combat felt elegant and fluid, and many of the bosses in Metal Gear Rising were duels with someone who was a potential equal with you. I feel like that’s how a boss fight with a Jedi in a Platinum Games made Star Wars thing would be. Then again, Platinum is a fan of going way over the top, so the opening would probably have your character slicing up an AT-AT in the opening or something…

On an unrelated note, MGR’s final boss is one of those things I still come back to even though the game’s been out I believe two years.

How about some Darksiders? Zat count?

People are talking about this in the RTT,

I REALLY enjoyed Darksiders 1, but I couldnt finish 2.

2 was just to far removed from anything relatable (the setting of a regigious type apocolypse in 1 was awesome), but 2 was just generick fantasy tropes that IMO wasnt very well written. The maps felt waaaaay to empty (there were bits that were just ride your horse along this road until you reach dungeon. I much prefered the layout of Darksiders 1’s world.

My one complaint about the original is the f*cking final boss, the only difficulty in it comes from “can you press Square X amount of times in Y amount of seconds?” I physically couldnt do it, I needed a friend to do the button mashing and pass me the controller for the actual fight.

Pfft, and AT-AT? The game would have you slice up the Death Star!

But yeah, that would be an amzing concept. It would also allow them to rectifiy my other complaint with Rising: the enviroments were pretty bland. I want epic backdrops for my slo-mo blade shenanigins. You’re right about the bosses, Platnium Games makes amazing bosses, the moment in Vanquish when Elana removes your safty cap on your energy is one of my favourite in all of gaming, a game that was already stupidly fast paced and crazy get triple clocked!

I said the AT-AT for the opening, believe me, the second to last boss would be slicing the Death Star, then a fight with some extremely powerful form of The Emperor similar to what happened with MGR’s ending. With the Star Wars backgrounds, the environment would feel much more lively than in MGR. If this were announced, or at least a sequel to MGR, consider it bought on sight.

I actually found DS2 to be more engaging than DS1, hahaha. I could never quite relate to the laid-on-top RPG mechanics in DS1 when the core game wasn’t really even an RPG. Also, not having the horse from near the start was a pain. I much preferred that in DS2, and I didn’t even rely on Fast Travel that much.

That said, I love smashing enemies apart wherever they are, so I didn’t mind the open expanses so much. There are always enemies spawning to kill (especially in the dead world; skellingtuns everywhere boss!). The fully fleshed-out RPG mechanics were nice too, especially with the sheer amount of recycling available for your gear.

I just remembered Conan on 360 (or was it Xbox?) So bad it was good.

Loved DMC and God of war

I just realised how badly I want a Borderlands spin-off about Zer0 made by Platnium Games.

Imagine Metal Gear Rising but set in the Borderlands universe, and with invisibility and Haiku’s

I love this type of game. I loved DMC, until they rebooted it and filled its hollow-out corpse with dog ■■■■. I hated DmC just because it wasn’t anything like the other DMC games, and the characters weren’t themselves at all. Also, the color-coded enemies severely limited the combat, and I hated that.

Metal Gear Rising was one of the first MG games I ever played.

In addition to those, I love Ninja Gaiden. I’ve gone through NG, NGBlack, NGII, NG2S, the god-awful NG3, and the not-awful-but-still-not-as-good-as-it-could-have-been NG3:RE.

Darksiders! Darksiders 1 and Darksiders 2 were some fantastic games, and I really want them to make at least two more so we’ll have played all Four Horsemen.

Ninja Blade. It was kind of like Protoype Meets Ninja Gaiden, and despite all the crap it gets, it was actually a fun game. Terrible plot, but in a hokey sort of way.

Do the Tenchu games count, or would those be more Stealth?

Koei’s WARRIORS series. Dynasty Warriors, Samurai Warriors, and Warriors Orochi make for some great hack-and-slash fun. I’ve played pretty much all of them, including the weird Gundam and One Piece ones and Strikeforce.

Played both Force Unleashed titles, like the first one better even though the gameplay in the second one was superior, mostly because the first one’s story didn’t suck.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 1 and 2 might count, especially 2, where you get Dracula’s sweet-ass Void Sword.

Ninety-Nine Nights 1 and 2 were great fun, similar to WARRIORS games, but with less options.

Don’t know if Kingdom Hearts games count, but I’ve played all of those as well.

Do you think The Elder Scrolls games count? I’ve played Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim, if they do.

I think Dragon’s Dogma probably applies, and it’s probably my favorite game of all time. I have the Dark Arisen version.

Drakengard 1 and 2 are games I’ve played, loved them both, never got the 3rd game because it looked stupid.

Nanobreaker for the PS2, that was a fun, if bizarre, game.

Way of the Samurai games are kick-ass. The latest one isn’t translated and it’s only on PSN as ‘Samurai Dou 4’, but it was freaking awesome.

Monster Hunter games are great fun, at least if they’re anything like Monster Hunter 3 on the Wii. Crazy huge swords! Lightning action! All you need to know!

Lord of the Rings: War in the North wasn’t a bad game.

Divinity II: Dragon Knight Saga might count, a lot of good fun to be had in that one. Also, you turn into a f***ing dragon, so that’s awesome.

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning had a lot of quests, but the combat was top-notch.

I think the Souls games might count? Played Demons Souls, Dark Souls and Dark Souls II, all decent games worth playing, albeit very annoying at times.

Dungeon Siege could count. I’ve only played the 3rd one, which a lot of people didn’t like, but I found it a decent experience.

Dragon Age II and Dragon Age: Inquisition could count if you looked at it objectively, and while DA2 wasn’t the best, DAI was fantastic.

If Legend of Zelda games count, then mark up OoC, MM, WW and TP. I haven’t played Skyward Sword yet.

That’s all I can remember at the moment, but yes, I actually really enjoy Hack and Slash games.

1 Like

There is a secret to enjoying DmC, and that is to forget that it is a Devil May Cry game. Yes, it technically is part of the series, but due to the different combat and characters, I keep it separate from DMC. As a hack n’ slash goes, DmC was brilliant, and felt a bit fresh compared to some other games. As a DMC game though, it was pretty bad. With that being said, I still cannot play that game without using the classic Dante skin.

1 Like

That ‘Classic Dante’ skin was the only way I got through it even once. It was a decent hack and slash, but I just hate that they call it a Devil May Cry game. Ughh. It’s like god-awful book movies that are nothing like the source material. You can enjoy the movie and you enjoy the book, but the only way it’s possible is if you don’t connect them. There’s exceptions to the rule, of course, but most of the time that’s the only way I can watch movies of books I’ve read anymore.

[quote=“Space_Beast, post:17, topic:2644”]
Ughh. It’s like god-awful book movies that are nothing like the source material.[/quote]
Okay, ouch…you just reminded me that the Eragon movie exists…

I loved the Golden Axe series on the SEGA Genesis. Good times.

1 Like

Yeeeeeep. That’s where that thought came from.

God, that sucked. I liked the book okay, but that movie was so terrible… the dragon magically poofed to full grown instantly, the orcs (forget what the name he had for them was) were just fat guys in animal skins, the Ra’Zac were pathetic, that final battle scene was a joke… that movie just blew.