Heavy question?

Are RPG’s the only weapons considered “heavy”? Or are shotguns or snipers heavy as well? I only use mods and things for RPG’s but wondered what else they may work for.

1 Like

I don’t have an official answer, but I think it’s RPG focused because there are now various types of Heavy weapons between the manufacturers, with Vladofs looking more like large caliber guns, Atlas with their mounted Orbs, COVs weird thingies, and Torgues & Tediore’s traditional RPGs.

As far as I know RPGs are the only heavy weapon, all the other are their own thing for COM bonus purposes.

It’s only RPGs. They aren’t calling them Rocket Launchers anymore because many heavy weapons don’t technically shoot rockets, I mean there’s literal flamethrowers, mortars, magical orb launchers etc.

Just look at the weapon icon
Screenshot_20200729-192259
If it has this symbol it’s heavy.

5 Likes

I thought that would be the case but in my mind a heavy weapon is one that requires two hands to use. Also everything else is specific (pistol damage, assault rifle, SMG…). everywhere else in the game it’s referred to as a launcher so I just wondered if it maybe included multiple weapon types. Thanks everyone😊

1 Like

AR which many consider “assault rifles” is not correct.

AR actually stands for Arma-Lite rifles. They were the first weapon manufacturer to design the AR-15 platform which can be chambered in multiple calibers like .223, 5.56 NATO, 300 Blackout, etc.

I understand that Assault Rifles is a category of weapons in video games, but in real life, there is no such thing as an assault rifle. Assault is an action, not a thing. If you were assaulted by someone coming at you with a spoon (like Jack) would you call it an assault spoon?

2 Likes

Part of the confusion about ARs has to do with naming conventions in BL1.

You had Fully Automatic Machine Guns and Burst Fire & Semi-Automatic Rifles. https://borderlands.fandom.com/wiki/Combat_Rifle

I think after the “Assault Weapons Ban” that came with the Brady bill some people have replaced the usage of Automatic Rifle https://www.britannica.com/technology/automatic-rifle

With Assault Rifle, Independent of the AR-15, which has its specific name. Since BL2 dropped the term Combat Rifle, people started using ARs to refer to them, divorced from anything in particular.

Language is malleable.

Umm… Assault rifles is very much a class of weapons outside of video games. It means a rifle meant for assaulting, similarly to a dessert spoon being one meant for eating desserts. Assault as a word is both a verb and a noun. As a noun it means a physical attack. AR, while first coined by Armalite for the AR-15, has been accepted into the common lexicon to stand place for assault rifle, similarly to the way that tylenol has become an accepted way to refer to the drug acetaminophen, rather than just the most prominent brand name of said drug. Just saying.

2 Likes

@kazbiel26

I hear what you’re saying … but then whats the difference between an assault rifle and a sniper rifle? Wouldn’t snipers be made for assaulting too?

Well, snipers are specifically designed for sniping, hunting rifles for hunting. Obviously any gun can be used for assaulting, but what we think of as assault rifles are so dubbed because they were either designed for military assaults, or are non mil spec versions of them, and have no real other purpose than assault. Even most snipers are really just jumped up hunting rifles.

Lmao … ummmmm, ok.

1 Like