[HELP] Advice on implementing "Triton Beam"?

Hey there,

I’ve got a few ships that are going to utilize the “Triton Beam” that Sajuuk and the Projenitor dreadnought are currently equipped with, so I took a look at the Dread’s .ship and .events files! There’s nearly a million different events! (exaggerating of course haha)

I know people have implemented them in other mods before, anyone have any advice on equipping my own custom ship with the weapon? Or maybe just help on making sense of whats going on in the .events file? (ex. I’ve got no idea where all those markers would go on my ship for the various events)

the actual beam is straightforward and referenced in the .wepn, the events are all of the charging effects along the ships trenches, if you just want the beam you really don’t need the events. If you want the charging effects then you will need to learn how the timing/scale in the events and their order is important to the over all FX

Ahhh alright thanks. I got overwhelmed when I glanced at it and figured I should ask before I break anything haha.

So I’ve got my ship entirely set up, .ship file and .events file are configured for now. Getting a “General Error” when I try to test it out in-game. I’m 90% sure that everything is exactly how it should be, so I’m being led to believe the Super Beam is the culprit.

This is how I’ve got it set up in my .ship file:

StartShipWeaponConfig(NewShipType,“Civ2_SuperBeam”,“Weapon_SuperBeam”,“Weapon_SuperBeam”);

This is how I’ve got it set up in my .events file:

animation2 =
    {
        name = "Weapon_SuperBeam",
        length = 5,
        loop = 0,
        parent = "",
        minimum = 0,
        maximum = 0,
        markers = {""}
    },

event9 =
{
{ “anim”, “Weapon_SuperBeam” },
{ “animtime”, “0” },
{ “marker”, “root” },
{ “fx”, “super_beam_dreadnaught_mesh” },
{ “sound”, “WEAPON/MEGASHIP/FIRE/DREADNAUGHT_FIRE_1” },
{ “fx_scale”, “1” },
},
event=10 =
{
{ “animtime”, “0” },
{ “marker”, “Weapon_SuperBeam_Muzzle” },
{ “fx”, “super_beam_combo_nis” },
{ “sound”, “WEAPON/MEGASHIP/FIRE/SAJUUK_HEAVY_ION_CANNON_BEAM” },
{ “fx_scale”, “1” },
{ “fx_nlips”, “on” },
},
event11 =
{
{ “animtime”, “0” },
{ “marker”, “Weapon_SuperBeam_Muzzle” },
{ “fx”, “super_beam_glow_nis” },
{ “fx_scale”, “1” },
{ “fx_nlips”, “on” },

Does this seem correct?

Should be event10=

Also, it just might be a C&P thing, but if not, there’s a possibility you don’t have enough close braces.

I suppose you’re talking about the missing close braces for the event11. That’s the first thing I saw too. Certainly a CopyPaste thingie as you said.

Thanks! My tired eyes didn’t catch that.

Yeah, just a C&P thing, I have them in the file.

Fixed that, still doesn’t work :confused: I’ve triple-checked my model to make sure all the names and such are correct, checked the my .ship, have my .weapon files in the right place. What could I be overlooking?

Do you have something in the hwrm.log file (with -luatrace) before the crash ?

In all honesty, this might sound really stupid, but it might not even be related to the files you think you’re modifying… (unless those files are the only files in the mod).

Also, it could be your HOD.

I’ve narrowed down the problem, it’s my custom .weapon scripts, I think it’s where they’re placed.

I have them in their own respective folders in:

…\HomeworldRM\MyMod\weapon

Is this ^ not correct?

be also especially careful with lower/upper case. I remember some part of hw being very picky with the way files are recognized (to be clearer, if your weapon file’s name is KillEmAll_Weapon for example, be sure to keep it like that in the script)

It’s better just to keep everything lowercase, unless there is a specific requirement otherwise (such as hard-coded variable/function names, like kCollector, or StartWeaponConfig). I don’t know that this is actual fact…

If you’d like, I can take a look at your files if you zip 'em up and PM the link to me.

2 Likes

That sounds like a great idea, PM’ing now!

poke

poke

@pouk

What ? :stuck_out_tongue: ^^