After decades of console peasantry, I decided to join the glorious PC gaming master race instead of buying a PS4 or Xbone this time around. The thought of having to buy all my games again was enough to convince me this time.
The thing is: I haven’t had a PC for games since the late 90’s and I don’t know anything about them.
I sort of know what I want though and am looking for inputs…didn’t know who to turn to and then I remembered “hey! I’m part of a vibrant game-related community!”… surely some of you know a thing or 2 about building a gaming PC, right ?
Here’s what i’m looking for:
- I intend to hook it up to my living room TV and mainly play with a controller. Years of habits are hard to change and I was never comfortable with M+K anyway. I’ll probably have a small table for some game that require M+K but otherwise, I’m gonna use a controler 95% of the time. (maybe a steam controller ? I know @Derch has been toying with one lately… anyone else has ? )
- I’m looking at an entry-level rig, ideally well below the 1000$ mark.
- Accordingly, I don’t care much about performance: I can totally live with 60FPS and 720P resolution. What I really want is stability: As long as it doesn’t crash or slows to a crawl, i’m happy. I want it to last as long as possible too obviously, but high-end performance is really not a factor.
- Since it will be in the living room, I’m looking for a small form factor: mini tower or even smaller. And at least decent-looking, but not too flashy. Sober-looking and sleek is what I want (or else the GF is not gonna be happy)
- I’m already aware that one place where you can’t be a cheapskate is the power supply (and in any case, this is the part of the rig I intend to keep the longest along with the case)
- Mini ITX preferably or Micro ATX board.
- I’ve been hearing about the Radeon 480X, supposedly exactly what i’m looking for. Is it worth waiting for its release ?
- A bit of upgradability would be nice (so I’d rather have all my RAM in a single bar and have room to add more for example).
- I will also probably use it for Netflix or the equivalent. Probably not a big concern but it doesn’t hurt to mention.
Anybody want to help me pick parts ?