I’m going to go down the list and Tell step by step how the developers should buff Zane. I’m going to try to go through as many playstyles as possible, and make this a comprehensive buff guide. The communities feedback would be much appreciated.
disclaimer: I had to use a 3rd party website to get the skill descriptions because Gearbox’s own website somehow doesn’t have the live interactive skill trees anymore. some skill descriptions might be wrong
The Undercover Tree(Barrier)
This tree somehow became Zane’s best tree. Their is very little wrong with it. It could use some small buffs to a few skills.
- Confident Competence: This skill gives 10% Gun damage and 22% accuarcy at Maximum shield capacity. I think the gun damage should be buffed to 20%. It’s a 1 point investment skill, and usually those 1 point skills have a massive impact. This skill does not.
- Best served Cold: This skill does NOT need a cooldown. Does not do enough damage to warrant it. The cooldown was only 2 seconds. It seems like a cooldown for the sake of cooldown. Take it off. Even with 5 points it’s not that damaging a nova.
- Refreshment: This skill is too far down the tree. Move up one tier or more.
Overall buffs to playstyle: Maliwan guns should not go through the barrier.
This tree is problamtic. It seems fine at face value until you start comparing the kill skills to other vault hunters kill skills or even passives.
- Cold Bore: This skill LIMITS Build diversity. Forcing Zane player’s to use one shot guns and constantly swap weapons in a gimmicky fashion. This may be controversial, but I would nerf the cryo buff and make the duration last either seconds or a full magazine.
- Violent Momentum: Might be undertoned. That’s all
- Drone Delivery: A 15 Second Cooldown to drop a grenade is actually ridiculous. If you want to keep this cooldown, make it drop two grenades for the price of one. or Halve the cooldown
- Cool Hand: I think a reload kill skill is bad and can be merged with another ability. Violent speed or violent momentum would be preferred
- Almighty ordinance(Augment): Skill needs a complete rework. Terrible.
Overall: The drones augments are weak. The best augments are the cryo bullets and the radiation augment. They are still weak. The drone scales badly.
Double Agent Tree
This skill tree has alot of potential but their are few things holding it back.
- Duct tape: Might be undertuned. That’s all
- Super Sonicman: There is no reason why this skill is so far down this tree when similar skills such as DonnyBrook and Synchronicity are skills available to you by lvl 10. Needs to be MUCH further up the tree.
- Double barrel should be switched with boom enchanced
- boom enchanced should be buffed even further. It’s undertuned.
Good tree but the issue with this tree is that it focuses on grenades but Zane doesn’t do any addition grenade damage. He’s just throwing grenades with poor aim and efficiency for less benefit than a character like moze. Also
Zane’s main problem is 3 fold. He doesn’t do any additional damage with the tree focuses.
- Shield Tree Focuses on Cryo. But Zane gets no additional damage benefit from cryo or frozen targets. Zane needs to do more weapon damage and critical damage to frozen targets. That alone will bring Zane in line with this playstyle. Also make the barrier work in mailwan weapons.
- The Sntnl/Kill Skill tree focuses on movement. But it’s under-tuned in all aspects. Plus Zane can’t run while shooting like Moze can. Which would have been an obvious skill to give zane. A buff to the benefits Zane gets from movement would be great while buffing some of the kill skills.The kill skills seem to be balanced with the expectation that players will use seeing red capstone. That’s poor design. And under-tunes all the kill skills inadvertently.
- The Clone tree focuses on grenades but Zane gets no addition damage benefit from throwing grenades than anyone else. In fact, his grenade regeneration is balanced out by the fact that he can’t CHOOSE when to throw grenades. An amara with an anointed grenade that regens on action skill end, can and will surpass Zane grenade damage potential. A buff to Zane grenade damage/splash damage could make him a true grenade master.
Zane has the worst class mods in the game with the least impact on gameplay. These class mods need entirly different perks. period.
Anointed should not be completely immune to cryo damage ticks. Immune to slowing and freezing is one thing. But a whole element shouldn’t be obsolete for no reason. My slaughter shaft run is over if 3 anointed shows up. Hell even two sometimes.
That’s it for now