Homeworld Remastered 2.3 Players Patch

The Homeworld Remastered 2.3 Players Patch resolves many balance issues and bugs from the 2.1 Patch. It includes the changes from Gearbox’s unfinished 2.205 Patch Preview, plus many additional improvements. It enhances multiplayer and singleplayer while respecting Gearbox’s direction, and the feel of Relic’s classics. Notably it fixes the 666 Formation Bug, the Cross Race Docking Bug, and is authored by the players who helped Gearbox balance Homeworld Remastered. It also features additional gameplay options including a campaign difficulty adjuster, camera zoom adjuster, observer mode, vast unit caps, and more.

Gearbox ended their support, so this is being released by the community for the players and fans. Credits: Gearbox, Cloaked, Kadeshi, Trebic, NoOne, Fear, Echo and all the other contributors, testers, and players providing feedback. A full change list is here.

Subscribe on Steam

Download for GOG

14 Likes

I have only skimmed this and likely will have more to say tomorrow, but I wanted to get a few things out immediately.

1. Awesome! I hope this catches on. I’ve personally never noticed the bug in question in action, but having it out of play would definitely make me more confident that things are behaving.

2. This change jumped out at me

Gravity Well Generators
Can now be repaired

I don’t think their inability to be repaired was ever an oversight or bug. Them burning themselves out and blowing up after a time period was, I’m pretty sure, a design feature to limit their power that was even written into the ship fluff. Letting them be repaired changes that equation a lot, so it raises my eyebrows a tad.

2 Likes

Definitely, would love for this to catch on in multiplayer.

Regarding Gravity Wells, they still burn down, blow up, and don’t recharge. The only difference is you can repair them like in Homeworld 1 classic, so you can continue to use them as a basic hyperspace inhibitor.

1 Like

This is friggin awesome! Huge respect and thanks to all the people involved in this patch for fixing what Gearbox was unwilling to! You guys are the best! :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

By the way, is there a method to automatically load a mod without the need to activate it in the launcher every time we start the game?

You can make a shortcut with a command line flag. I don’t remember off the top of my head what it is for launching a workshop mod though.

1 Like

Okay so it is possible, now I only need someone who knows the correct command line :smiley: , thanks your confirmation that it is possible!

you may be able to find the needed flags by checking hw2.log (or is it hwr.log now?) in the bin directories after launching the mod through the launcher. It usually lists the flags the game was launched with there, and the launcher probably acts by feeding flags into the executable.

Okay, I’ll have a look at them later and will report back, thanks again! :slight_smile:

There’s three ways to launch the 2.3 Players Patch:

Instructions:

1. Click Subscribe
  2. Play Homeworld Remastered v2.1
  3. Click Mods, select the 2.3 Players Patch, (optionally select a Campaign), and Click Launch.

To load this every time you play Homeworld Remastered:

1. Go to your Steam Library and right click on Homeworld Remastered Collection
  2. Click Properties, click Set Launch Options, and type in the following:
  3. -workshopmod ???\1190476337\2.3PlayersPatch.big
  4. Change the question marks to the numbers you see in this folder: “C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Homeworld\HomeworldRM\DataWorkshopMODs”

To create desktop shortcuts to load this:

1. Right click on your desktop and click New > Shortcut
  2. Create three shortcuts similar to the ones below:
  3. Homeworld Remastered Multiplayer:
    “C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Homeworld\HomeworldRM\Bin\Release\HomeworldRM.exe” -workshopmod ???\1190476337\2.3PlayersPatch.big
  4. Homeworld 1 Remastered Campaign:
    “C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Homeworld\HomeworldRM\Bin\Release\HomeworldRM.exe” -dlccampaign HW1Campaign.big -campaign HomeworldClassic -moviepath DataHW1Campaign -workshopmod ???\1190476337\2.3PlayersPatch.big
  5. Homeworld 2 Remastered Campaign:
    “C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Homeworld\HomeworldRM\Bin\Release\HomeworldRM.exe” -dlccampaign HW2Campaign.big -campaign Ascension -moviepath DataHW2Campaign -workshopmod ???\1190476337\2.3PlayersPatch.big
  6. For each shortcut, change the question marks to the numbers you see in this folder: “C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Homeworld\HomeworldRM\DataWorkshopMODs”
2 Likes

Thanks! I’ll check the log for the numbers later and will report back :slight_smile:

Alright, adding -workshopmod 76561197993641957\1190476337\2.3PlayersPatch.big (with my numbers ofc) as the launch command for Homeworld RM in Steam via “Set Launch Options…” also works and is even more convenient for me ^^. Thanks again for your help!

Oh, wow! Good work!

Is there a way to load the mod, then load other mods on top of it?

1 Like

Yes, HWR lets you select and load multiple mods. However this works best with small mods like maps. For big mods that add new ships to the game, or change existing ship stats, you’ll likely need to wait for the authors to include these changes.
Instructions:

1. Click Subscribe
  2. Play Homeworld Remastered v2.1
  3. Click Mods, select the 2.3 Players Patch, (optionally select additional mods), (optionally select a Campaign), and click Launch

See the ReadMe here.

3 Likes

Should we unsubscribe from the patch preview if we are using the 2.3 patch or does it not matter?

Use this with the default game (v2.1). It includes the patch preview (v2.205) changes.

For singleplayer it wont matter, but for multiplayer everyone needs to be on the same version (v2.1 + v2.3 Players Patch).

3 Likes

Okay, thanks! :slight_smile:

Hadn’t realised GB had abandoned the game support, so thank you to all involved in this game patch.

Went in to the game after a long while. Almost no one there seems to even know or care about this. There must be some way to spread the word and get more ppl on board. The only two games I was able to play with this mod ended half way because of “out of sync” errors. Dont know if this is just bad luck or not.

Great work on the patch by the way.

@Cloaked

I have a possible bug to report, I was just playing some vs. AI matches and when I select an enemy ship that is in a formation, I can’t then click a single ship within that formation (in the left lower corner panel) to select it, it sticks with the selected formation and no single ship within it is selectable.

It works for my own ships in formation, just not for enemies.