Homeworld Remastered Frontend Access Violation Crash

(Hero Crafter 1987 (Homeworld Universal Conquest Mod)) #1

Need some help here. Whenever I load a skirmish, it crashes when the screen says FrontEnd. I find this in the log file

Unable to retrieve UI (animated) texture ()
Error, LoadScreen failed to screen of type GameBalanceScreen when loading section GameBalanceScreen from file DATA:\UI\NewUI\Developer\GameBalanceScreen.lua
Error, LoadScreen failed to screen of type DeveloperScreen when loading section DeveloperScreen from file DATA:\UI\NewUI\Developer\DeveloperScreen.lua

(Jalkian Valour) #2

What’s the latest change you made to the game since the last time it worked?

(Hero Crafter 1987 (Homeworld Universal Conquest Mod)) #3

Just adding in a new ship, its subsystems, weapons, art for the weapons, etc. I removed them later when It started crashing but the game still crashes.

(Jalkian Valour) #4

Did you have any entry in the build.lua for it? Or did you maybe forget a comma there?

(Hero Crafter 1987 (Homeworld Universal Conquest Mod)) #6

It wasn’t that. The game still game me an access violation at FrontEnd and the log said it was the same issue as before. What can I do about this?

(Jalkian Valour) #7

Did you add anything to the research.lua, or the icons.lua? Any other game file that might’ve been tricked up a bit? This seems to me something that’s usually thrown when you’re missing a comma somewhere.

(Hero Crafter 1987 (Homeworld Universal Conquest Mod)) #8

This wasn’t the case. I don’t know what I is. It just says

Unable to retrieve UI (animated) texture ()
Error, LoadScreen failed to screen of type GameBalanceScreen when loading section GameBalanceScreen from file DATA:\UI\NewUI\Developer\GameBalanceScreen.lua
Error, LoadScreen failed to screen of type DeveloperScreen when loading section DeveloperScreen from file DATA:\UI\NewUI\Developer\DeveloperScreen.lua

(Jalkian Valour) #9

Can you get to the game menu first before this happens? Like can you pick your opponents and your map and then try to launch and this comes up? Or does it come up before that happens?

(Hero Crafter 1987 (Homeworld Universal Conquest Mod)) #10

@JalkianValour Yes I can. I pick out the map, my opponents, then I launch it. It loads and at when the loading reaches “frontend”, it sits there for about 5-10 seconds then it crashes. It says it was an Access Violation.

(Jalkian Valour) #11

Do you have much riding on that version? Maybe try to re-install? Seems to me Access Violation can mean just about anything. Sometimes it’s even just a corrupted download of something.

(Trebic) #12

It seems to be loading the developer ui. Normally it shouldn’t. Have you edited any file to enable this . If not, check uisettings.lua (I think that’s what it’s called) . The developer ui should be commented out if I remember correctly.

(Hero Crafter 1987 (Homeworld Universal Conquest Mod)) #13

I will see what I can do. I have a question though, could a hyperspace animation file cause this? If so, I think I know how to fix it.

(Trebic) #14

I don’t think it should . But there’s no harm in checking .

(GOLIATH Mod) #15

I had this a couple times too, and I found the problem file by:

1. making a copy of the whole mod folder to go back to (which you should probably be doing at every big change anyway)

2. Delete a whole folder or group of files, then see if the game runs.

3. If the game runs, you know the problem file was one of the ones you deleted.

4. copy the deleted files back in and make the deleted group smaller and smaller until you find the problem file.

(Hero Crafter 1987 (Homeworld Universal Conquest Mod)) #16

Thanks for the idea. The reason why I asked about the hyperspace file is because I added a new one in but I never tested it. I remembered about the file so I brought it up. I also remembered that because I had this same issue before and it was cause by a hyperspace file that wasn’t modded correctly, causing the game to crash. I will check/fix the files and see what happens.

Wish me luck.

While I’m doing this, feel free to give me ideas of what else could be causing this.

(Hero Crafter 1987 (Homeworld Universal Conquest Mod)) #17

I got it working again. It was the hyperspace file.

(Hero Crafter 1987 (Homeworld Universal Conquest Mod)) #18

Im having the same issue again, however, it only crashes when I play as the hiigarans.

(Taiidan Republic Mod) #19

Probably a hiigaran file then…

(Hero Crafter 1987 (Homeworld Universal Conquest Mod)) #20

That’s what I’m thinking. I have noticed that the AI can use it just fine, but when I try to use it I always get the frontend access violation crash.