Homeworld Remastered Patch Balance Changes

I was under the assumption that the multiplayer is shared, as it is possible to fuse both steam and Gog MP through Gog Galaxy if supported by the game (apperently in this case it is not ?).

I’d be more concerned about Government spyware, mal-adware than that.
Gog. Noted that not all games can get played over the same online servers but they don’t really tell which games that are. It always depends on how a game is coded and handling it’s multiplayer.

@maelrizzo: If you heard that then it might be possibly right. I don’t have the GOG version so I can’t test it. How ever keep in mind that sharing your libraries once again has nothing to do with the mp component of any given game.

I don’t have the Gog version either, as I bought the game back at release on steam :wink: but I know for a fact that there are games that can be played in mp across steam and gog I think it is called ‘Gog Galaxy cross play’ or something along those lines, I was not referring to the feature of gog to import certain steam games for free :wink:

Interesting good to know. So far I avoided Gog Galaxy because Origin and Steam are more than enough for me ^^. :neutral_face: but this feature works only if the developers of the games agree on that shared thing in the first place. So not very reliable if you ask me. The only good reason to get Gog games is (for me) that they fix up the older games not running on modern OS anymore through various hacks and mods.

GOG and Steams versions WILL NOT play with each other, regardless. Even LAN. Because they are different builds of the game, and the way that HW works (has always worked) was that the EXE and all loaded data create a signature for compatability - and won’t play with things lacking that exact signature. The ‘sync state’ system used in MP means even minor build differences can destroy MP game logic…

1 Like

Aww that’s too bad :confused:
@goose3

Yeah it is on the developer (as is with steam btw, you can and also have games on steam that have their own mp and are compatible across clients, many simply choose to use the steam api, but this is not to be confused with steam being the default) and it is a new feature of gog so it isn’t that common at the moment, but it is great to have that option, because it isn’t a given that a game is mp compatible across 2 different clients.

I personally would turn that around and say the only good reason to use steam/origin/uplay is that they have some exclusive games and a larger userbase, because otherwise gog is the better deal in comparison (no drm, games not bound to client, no need to be online at least once, fair price policy for regional currency differences, to name a few).

What’s the point of DRM free? What’s the difference?

Free range organic Homeworld.

3 Likes

You aren’t bound to a platform, you have no crappy copy protection that messes with your game and you are not put under the general assumption that you are a software pirate. I mean isn’t it kind of ironic that the ones being bothered by copy protection are usually the people who bought the game ? Trash like securom or starforce have caused much grief in the past as they falsely detected legal copies as pirated and denied paying customers to play their game. Furthermore drm like ‘always online’ (some of the more recent Assassins Creed titles use it for example) can be a real issue for people who have unstable internet connections or of the platform is down (which tends to happen from time to time on steam, uplay or origin especially after a big game release).

I personally experienced this and had to actually use a crack to play a game that I had bought because it simply refused to run otherwise, that is why drm sucks and is mostly a hassle for customers and not pirates who crack it anyway.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying that steam is the devil and shouldn’t be used, because I myself have been using steam for over 10 years now and have over a hundred games on my account, but if I have the choice between a copy with or without drm I would always choose the latter (if no restrictions apply to it !).

2 Likes

#2.1 Patch Balance Changes

Hiigaran and Vaygr
Fixed an attack style issue for battlecruisers vs frigates.

Hiigaran
The following minor tweaks better balance Hiigaran upgrades against Vaygr upgrades.

Gun Platforms
Health Upgrade Costs 700->800

Ion Platforms
Health Upgrade Costs 1200->800

Pulsar Corvettes
Health Upgrade Costs 1200->1000

Kushan and Taiidan
Kushan Cloaked Fighters
Research Time down 50%
Build Time 10->15 seconds

Taiidan Defense Fighters
Research Time down 50%
Build Time 12->18 seconds
Speed up 13% (to match interceptors)

Multigun Corvettes
Research Time down 33%
Build Time 25->22 seconds

Heavy Corvettes
Research Time down 45%
Build Time 25->22 seconds

kus_researchship.ship
Health up 50% (to match time to kill a homeworld 2 research module with interceptors)

4 Likes

I was thinking more along the lines of:
Evasive = full speed and defensive bonus
Normal = full speed and no other bonuses
Aggressive = less speed, offensive bonus, defensive malus.

If we’re going by the “in combat” then lower speed when guns are firing, since the analogy was something along the line of diverting power to engines.

Increased speed IS the defensive bonus. More speed equates to being hit less often.

If you gave normal and evasive the same speed, the only difference between them would be engagement distance and breaking vs. keeping sub-squadrons.

2 Likes

You sure that’s the only component? There are still RNG weapons in game, and ballistics should still hit if the craft is going in a straight line no matter how fast.

I wonder if the devs could clarify the defensive bonus to Evasive. If it’s strictly just speed, then that means it would be useless against missile based weapons. That would defeat the purpose of it.

Generally speaking, weapons that normally engage strikecraft are now ballistics based (instead of RNG based).

As for: [quote=“RedDevilCG, post:53, topic:1501771, full:true”]ballistics should still hit if the craft is going in a straight line no matter how fast.[/quote] …yes, some shots will hit whether it’s ballistics or RNG based. And? It seems like you’re confirming what I already said: giving normal and evasive the same speed will significantly reduce the survival advantage evasive currently has over normal.

[quote=“RedDevilCG, post:53, topic:1501771, full:true”]If it’s strictly just speed, then that means it would be useless against missile based weapons. That would defeat the purpose of it.[/quote] That’s how evasive worked in HW1. It wasn’t some ‘magical’ increase to damage resistances.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure Evasive worked better in HW 1 because strike craft actually juked left and right while moving forward. So it was kind of ‘magical’ as you put it. Not sure why you’re so sassy with your responses, btw.

I don’t consider visually distinct juking ‘magical’, but I would consider an increased damage resistance ‘magical’. Evasive didn’t help fighters much against the missile destroyer in classic HW1, so I don’t know why you’d say “…then that means [evasive] would be useless against missile based weapons. That would defeat the purpose of it.”

New tactics, stances, and flight maneuver documentation is here:

Thanks for posting that. I’ll have to read into it more, as all I knew up to this point was this:[quote]Evasive. Evasive strike craft receive bonuses to speed, acceleration, and take reduced damage. Evasive ships will break formation as soon as they enter combat and attempt to dodge incoming fire. Evasive strike craft fight at longer range. This stance is intended as a delaying or harassing action.[/quote]It said, “reduced damage,” and not “reduced chance to be hit,” which seems to indicate the ‘magical’ less damage you were talking about earlier. I think that’s why we don’t seem to be on the same page, because I assumed it was modifying damage and not chance to hit.

Why are Hiigaran interceptors cheaper than HW1? They cost 450 for a squadron of 5 while HW1 ints cost 100 each.

Hw2 fighters have upgrades to buy to be on par with hw1 fighters which do not need upgrades.

1 Like

Well, my first post is wrong. There are tactics multipliers for damage dealt and received, but that’s still far from the full picture. “Misses” have more impact on damage dealt and received for strikecraft. Assault frigates and destroyers are mediocre against moving fighters, but they will annihilate fighters that are motionless (trapped in a gravity well, sphere guarding a capital ship, sitting in parade…). As distance increases, most weapons become less accurate and some weapons do less damage. Most ships become less accurate as the speed of a target increases (defenders are a notable exception). Aggressive ships generally have a bonus to projectile speed, so “misses” that still hit happen more often.