How can I extract textures from HW:R

Hi all,

I would very much like to get the texture map for Kharak. How would I go about this?

I found a set of directions over here. However I’m stuck at the point of dropping a .big file into the decryptor, where DOS tells me:

'bigDecrypter.exe is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
press any key to continue…

I don’t know how to proceed from here. Any assistance?

I have to say, DoK’s Kharak map is probably WAY more detailed/proper than ours… and given it is a Unity-based game, likely way easier to get too.

Have you seen the Expedition guide model? It does have some information I’d probably like to dig out, but that map looks low-res compared to the one used in HW:R mission 1.

Ok, got around the issue by re-downloading the bigDecrypter. I have two questions now:

1. Where is Kharak? I don’t see it in the ship folder where I think it used to be for HW1 original…

2. What format are the textures and how do I convert them to something usable, like jpeg or png?

Still going here… I think I’ve found Kharak and I’m trying to use CFHodEd.exe to open and work with the files… but it’s not opening. “Please install the latest version of DirectX (August 2007 or later).” It says, though I have the latest version of DirectX installed!

You’re unlikely to find anything but resistance from CFHod where HWR is concerned. The development team of HWR does not, and by all appearances can not, endorse 3rd-party-hod-hackery of any sort. This is likely part of the reason you’re being directed to DoK for the Kharak texture map… really there is no established or endorsed way to get textures out of HWR game files.

However, I just remembered something that could help you:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=412433578&searchtext=

I don’t remember for sure but I think they included Kharak in the example… not just the space BG. See what you find!

1 Like

That’s a shame, because all I want is that texture to slap on a sphere and start mapping. :C

I can’t seem to download that example listed…

If you subscribe to the Example item, it’ll appear in your \Steam\SteamApps\workshop\content…

You can extract the Kharak texture from HWR using CFHodEd (I’ve done it), but I suggest not wasting your time as it’s a bloody AWFUL texture as far as planet map standards go (no offense to the devs, it looks great in-game!). I’d recommend doing as BitVenom suggested and going after the textures from Deserts of Kharak.

Did the subscription route and finally found the background example… the “planet” in there is just a texture projected on to the inside of a spherical map, and not a sphere itself.

Kharak does not have a rendered model in DoK, its all cutscenes for the full planet. The Expedition guide has a pretty low res one, but I don’t know how to dig the model out of it.

Eh - there’s an ACTUAL planet in the Examples… Not sure what you were seeing… ? I think you stopped when you saw the background/skysphere maybe?

What should I be looking for, then? I was looking at the .tgas and they had the planet in the background.

If it’s within the HOD, then I return to my original problem: I can’t open the HOD editors I have access to. “Please install the latest version of DirectX (August 2007 or later).” is what it tells me when trying to launch, but I HAVE the latest DirectX versions installed…