How many likes do you have? Version 3: This time it’s personal

47 years flew by.

I’m married, have another dog and a couple kids. I was thinking if they got rid of the likes feature could we get you know some basic forum stuff like signatures and the block feature back?

7 Likes

Granted, I wasn’t on the old forums, so I never got to experience having a signature. But I did experience it on other websites like the Equestria Daily Forums and others.

@daerksiea, If they brought back Sigs. I can make you one if you want.

3 Likes

Is my phone stupid or are you not purple anymore?

4 Likes

I actually have one. If they brought back signatures, I’m going back to my Psylocke set.

I think that should be left up to the admins of this board.

2 Likes

It’s worth noting that devs have heard those requests before and… tend to disagree with users about what users want.

3 Likes

I’m not sure it’s always disagreeing about what users want, but more like saying “Yes, but that will have consequences you won’t like and will then complain about.”

Take signatures, for example. The discourse post layout already has quite a bit of wasted space (padding and margins around the text itself, and around the icon bar at the bottom of each post.) If you then throw in user signatures on every post, you’ll end up with a one-line post consisting of nothing more than an emoji taking up half the screen.

There’s already quite enough scrolling with the continuous thread-per-page layout (probably why there’s a 10k cap on posts per thread); signatures would just make that worse. Now, you could argue for “only a four-line text sig” but, if it allows background graphics, we all know how that will end up (remember the “this is how big your sig can be” post?)

I wouldn’t mind one additional line of user-definable text in the header, with an option to put a banner graphic behind it. That would push the start of every post down to just below the avatar, which wouldn’t be too bad. Actually, I might suggest that…

5 Likes

Kind of a potato/potato thing, but yours is more politic than mine. Really better PR phrasing than they’ve ever given that I’ve seen.

As to the specifics of the sig thing that does seem to be their position. That’s at least plausible. Their opinion on blocking users is less defensible and boils down to “well if a person gets blocked a lot then they don’t get reported and so they don’t get banned when they should.” The trade off there is the user is forced to deal with people they don’t want to interact with at all as long as the offender is “playing by the rules”. When in any sane world, they could use the same forum option that has been available since 2003 and everyone’s happy, right? RIGHT?!

Sorry. I’m still bitter.

3 Likes
10 Likes
9 Likes

You people give your Likes away far too easily and it’s going to cause a market crash. Maybe that’s why there is a Like limit.

10 Likes

In 47 years, I would be 64 and I would be like:

“You kids and your fancy gadgets! Back in my day, we had this!”

5 Likes

otters are the new cats

6 Likes

8 Likes

7 Likes

7 Likes

8 Likes
9 Likes

You guys are freaking me out with all the otter gifs and memes…

They may as well be mini leapord seals! :rage:

6 Likes

Well, except for being substantially smaller, not living that far south, and not eating penguins… (Sea otters are basically a northern pacific species, while regular otters are all inland freah-water critters. No penguins were harmed in the making of these GIFs.)

5 Likes

Poorly concealed sigh of relief.

Oh, ok. Thanks!

I still don’t trust them… :unamused:

7 Likes