How much does Zane truly lag behind the other Vault Hunters in the endgame?

I’ve seen the posts about his skills not working, and how little damage he does compared to the other VH’s, but I guess I’m curious about specifics - how does Zane fall behind the other VH’s in the endgame, and is it as bad as most people say?

Really far behind and yes.

It’s pretty bad. On top of having more broken skills than anyone else by a wide margin, he also lacks the specialization that the others have (Amara - elemental damage, Moze - splash Damage and high rof, Fl4k - big crit single shot damage).

I disagree ive been maining zane and play with friends who main each of the other vault hunters. All of us have been playing since the beginning and are all pretty good at these games. Ive been using the clone and the shield and have frequently been the last one alive in slaughter houses. I think hes great for mobbing especially with all the freeze stuff. Now maybe specifically fighting bosses he falls behind a bit lacking an insane damage skill but as far as mobbing goes you have a shield that can literally take infinite damage assuming you can freeze people

I disagree ive been maining zane and play with friends who main each of the other vault hunters. All of us have been playing since the beginning and are all pretty good at these games. Ive been using the clone and the shield and have frequently been the last one alive in slaughter houses. I think hes great for mobbing especially with all the freeze stuff. Now maybe specifically fighting bosses he falls behind a bit lacking an insane damage skill but as far as mobbing goes you have a shield that can literally take infinite damage assuming you can freeze people

You’de be surprised about the boss killing speed: https://streamable.com/ibdy4

1 Like

I just truly dont understand the whole idea that zane is bad ive played every character and have most of them at 50 and he is by far my favorite character

most of his skills work as described (as far as ik from my own gameplay, i haven’t encountered any buggy interactions as of the latest patch)

i also suggest checking out this post i made ab my own zane build and the replies others had for similar builds utilizing most of his skills, it makes him quite powerful through CC and infinite cooldowns

ZANE IS GOOD - The Infinite Action Skill

1 Like

I really wanted to like Zane based on the character. But, I feel like they missed the boat on his skill trees for damage… they got the flare which makes him “fun” but they ignored the straight weapon boosts I think he needs as an operator.

General things like Assault Rifle dog or rate of fire boosts. SMG crit dmg and faster reloading… I dunno. Operatives are weapon experts. He feels like Q from James Bond with a chip on his shoulder

1 Like

you can get quite a few good damage boosts from his barrier and its retaliation augment as well as skills like synchronicity, donnybrook, confident competence, violent moment, and playin’ dirty

his clone can also do a surprising amount of damage with boom enhance and double barrel

Depends a bit on the situation. I’m gonna say he’s the worst against bosses simply because he can’t keep up with Mozes mag size and grenade boosts, Fl4ks crit damage and Amaras absolutely broken phaseslam gun damage anointments but I’d say for mobbing he isn’t all that bad.
Now, I’ve mostly been playing Clone & Drone which is objectively not a very efficient way to play him (especially with my personal skill point distribution) but I have seen what a good player can do with the right build and it’s genuinely not worse than anything you can do with the other characters for mobbing, be that proving grounds or circle of slaughter.
One obvious weakness is of course that he specializes in cryo damage which can get crippled to being basically useless if you have bad luck with your mayhem modifiers and yes, many of his skills appear to be either not working as advertised or not working at all which holds him back.
Long story short, do not believe those people who say he’s so utterly underpowered that he’s not viable in the endgame (that’s probably the same people who were talking ■■■■ about Axton in Borderlands 2) but just keep in mind that if you are really looking to min max and become the very best at a particular thing, chances are Zane is not gonna be your first choice.

He does actually have a rate of fire boost (violent violence) as well as a reload speed one (Cool Hand). But an issue he certainly has is that a lot of his potency is tied to his kill skills and only temporary.