How to build Mellka in her current state?

Well title says it all. I am down to 2 characters sitting at level 15 (all the others reached 20) and Mellka is next in line for the promotion.

I must admit I never really enjoyed her, mainly because I can’t seem to understand how to play her, especially since the venom was nerfed and peppering the lanes with canisters has become mostly pointless…

I know there a few Mellka mains here (I’ve been a silent daily-reader since winter update). So what is the common build/your recommendations for helix, gear loadout and playstyle?

1 Like

@lequizachris
And his chanel in YouTube

2 Likes

Look, @EdenSophia! A chance to take someone under your venom-wing!

4 Likes

My current build for her.

I switch up some levels but this is the general build.

3 Likes

She only needs Sprint and Health to be awesome as is.

2 Likes

Sprint speed is bad on her because she can move faster by sliding. Making sprint speed irrelevant

3 Likes

Movement speed might not be so bad for her
With her having such a high starting movement speed and all

100% agree on sprint speed though

4 Likes

Thank you for your answers so far, I appreciate it!
Also, I would prefer if this thread avoid turning into a debate and focus more on each player’s own perspective, build, loadout & playstyle. Even if you only play Mellka once in a while, how do you build her? What circumstances make you pick her, is it to counter specific targets or just for a change? Which opponent Battleborn give you the most trouble and which ones are easy targets?

@dantesolar Thanks for the link, I’m going to watch as soon as I’m done posting this!

@HandsomeCam I’m actually scared of EdenSophia… I feel my poor performances with Mellka would make her scold me and forbid me from playing her ever again :cold_sweat:

@reliikki Thanks for that, I am looking forward to try your build in my next match. Is it normal that helix choices stop at Level 6 or is my browser acting up? Also, may I ask your favored loadout to go with it? (or should I be able to see it on lowlidev and I’m just missing stuff?)

@wisecarver So no specific helices but bringing a good health gear and sprint speed should do it? I will try something around this since I am taking all suggestions into consideration (well almost, I fear typing that will cause some trolling)

@blainebrossart1 I get from your comment that I should try to use the slide as much as possible when I’m running around. Thanks for that tip.

@Vicks_Toire I’m still gonna take wisecarver’s advice for a spin, I’m thinking of adding movement speed too then! And I will make my own judgement on both opinions. I must admit I’m far from being a high skilled players even with all my hours into the game so I really want to look at all aspects, maybe sprint speed will do it for me even if it sounds dumb from a top-tier player point of view… :wink:

1 Like

Mellka has high movement speed but low sprint speed. Sliding instead of sprinting let’s her keep up with other character’s sprinting.

2 Likes

Nah… Well, maybe. Shrugs.

It’s kind of a crap-shoot…

Also, if you want @lequizachris’s “perspective”, one of the best Mellka mains on PS4 (like Eden), i can give it to you in three words and one emoji:

“Mellka is bae <3”

I swear, the guy is like f*ckin’ Groot, or something… :smirk:

4 Likes

Yeah, as I said in my original post, I’ve been stalking the forums on a daily basis since Winter Update but decided to sign-up recently. I’ve seen his random appearances, always with this statement.
I wonder how it works out between Mellka, Eden and him… must be some weird love triangle… or is he just the third wheel?

Let’s not derail my own thread any further… although it is still very Mellka related :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

@EdenSophia and I take turns with her :]

4 Likes

Ps.
Mellka is bae <3

5 Likes

Ok, so I watched this specific video, almost twice considering all the rewinding.
What I note firsthand is that I need to really get in touch with Mellka to even think about playing her in a decent way as learning when to dive/chase or give up a kill is critical with her. In this match, he seems to be the key “line-holder”. As soon as he gets distracted for too long, dies or teleport back to base, the line breaks and his team is sent back to the next choke point.
It also makes me realize how much I need to improve my battlefield awareness when under fire/pressure, I’m too easily taken by surprise because I lose track of my minimap while fighting and it’s unforgiving with a squishy character.
Would really like a quick overview of the basics for Mellka play @lequizachris, I don’t believe I’ll ever be great with her but some basic tips and guidelines would greatly help!

Also, on a more general topic: do gameplay videos with “voice-over” comments exist? Like analyzing and describing performances, actions and thoughts during matches. For example, I tend to panic when ■■■■ goes down quick and react badly, I would explain what when through my mind at this moment and explain wtf that mess was and what I should have done instead…

@UnrealXistenz

I mess around with mellka a very small amount,
but I found stacking regen on her is absurdly useful and fun, I was playing a melee mellka and unless I got stunned I would just fly away for a few seconds when I was low to come back ready for a fight

1 Like

Gear, melka is so gear dependant. She needs her loadout asap.

Melka needs to be nimble but not predictable (jumping melkas are so easy to kill), move (her movement speed is high) and mix it with a jump and airstall to change your direction in the jumps.

Her slow is a heavy slow, map awareness and make wise decisions to retreat once you are focused.

Melka can kill healers easily and squishies. Her gun dmg is rly high and her meele is perfect to body block and push them back to your team.

Melka’s helix has only 1 path as must of her helix sucks…

2 Likes

Hmm, weird it does that, Lowlines site doesn’t seem to be saving the full Helix tree?
http://battlebornforum.com/pages/battleborn-helix-build-editor-mellka/?rows=1,1,-1,0,1,-1,1,-1,1,-1,
This should work.

For gear currently I’m running this;

View on lowlidev.com.au

View on lowlidev.com.au

I switch out the third piece a lot, currently I’m running this for the secondary health regen;

View on lowlidev.com.au

If you’re fine with a more expensive loadout, I might also go with this in place of the reload and build for maximum claw lunge damage (If you don’t want to build Claw Lunge offensively you can also use the eldrid epic Attack DMG)

View on lowlidev.com.au

Completely forgot this one to replace cheaper reload piece for constant regen bonus;

View on lowlidev.com.au

Notes;
Mellka is so mobile that she can stay in the fight for much longer with enough regen, in my experience.
I don’t use legendaries but her venom should activate Bola’s Target Finders effect and any legendary that increases her survivability is good.
Her base health is low and you lose Eldrid Rhythm on death so you kind of need to stack health items on her.

2 Likes

The reason I use Sprint with her isn’t in the fight, the Sprint is for everything around her awesome dance.
She can have blazing speed, but when she runs out, or away, Sprint.

Thanks a lot! Tried that build, already feels better.
I really need to get that flawed green clip gear (or at least the flawed version of the purple), I tried using the purple but it’s so expensive and as @dantesolar mentionned, I feel it is important to activate gear quickly to be able to secure kills/assist early and not get behind in levels.

I only had time to play one match yesterday, opted for a story mission (5 man Algorithm), ended doing great with:

View on lowlidev.com.au

View on lowlidev.com.au

View on lowlidev.com.au

What a smooth ride it was! Running around, blasting everything without worrying about my health I ended up with something like 243k damage (around 100k above 2nd place) and having a great time.
Also I found it easier to remember to keep using the slide when running around since I’m less stressed out in story.
I think I will keep running a bit of story mode as I feel it helps me get used to her handling, like remembering to slide, aiming the canister before pressing the reload button, etc… and maybe I’ll end up looting that flawed green clip!

Also, does jumping + using spike (with lift off) give enough air time to proc the “Talon of the Hawk” legendary?

View on lowlidev.com.au

2 Likes

Haven’t tested it, but I assume that just basic Spike + Air Stall should be enough to proc it. I wouldn’t personally rate the TotH very highly for Mellka though, at least in PvP, because her basic damage isn’t extremely high so a ~5% increase isn’t going to give you much. I think I’d rather take a basic +Attack with secondary +Health.

1 Like