First download Skunks HW2 Map Editor. This download includes the required drivers and documentation:
Instructions to install
Works on Windows Vista, 7, 8, 10
- Copy dx8vb.dll to:
A. For 32 Bit OS: c:\windows\system32
B. For 64 Bit OS: c:\windows\syswow64
- Run the Command Prompt (cmd.exe) as an Administrator.
- At the command prompt type cd\ and press Enter. Then type:
A. For 32 Bit OS: regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\dx8vb.dll
B. For 64 Bit OS: regsvr32 c:\windows\syswow64\dx8vb.dll
- Press Enter, a dialogue box showing successful registration should be displayed
- Run “Homeworld2 Map Editor v1.2.msi”
- Copy “Skunks HW2 Map Editor.exe” to your desktop. (Step 7 is very important! If you leave it in the default directory, you may get a comctl32.ocx error. If this happens, you may need to uninstall the program, and repeat step 5.)
- Run “Skunks HW2 Map Editor.exe”
- If outside the US/UK/China, ensure your Windows Decimal Symbol is set to a dot. Commas will cause a crash.
The “Skunks HW 2 Map Editor Tutorial.rtf” file has just about everything there is to know about the Map Editor. Credits for this document go to Dryson.
You can also download the Ace Map Pack for examples of maps, thumbnails and the new HWR .levels file: http://www.moddb.com/games/homeworld-remastered/addons/ace-maps-for-homeworld-remastered
Homeworld Remastered Notes
- Save often! The tool tends to crash sometimes. Also, sometimes the graphics glich out out if you alt-tab or minimize.
- The tool only saves starting locations for 6 players. You can edit the .level files in notepad to add a 7th and 8th player.
- Homeworld remastered requires a .levels file. This is basically a list of all the maps you want to be included for each GameType. A brief .levels tutorial is below.
".levels" Tutorial for HWR
- Create a text file in the following folder (path may vary): C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Homeworld\HomeworldRM\Data\leveldata\multiplayer
- Name it something like “MyMaps.levels”
- Open the file in notepad and copy and paste this code:
Next copy and paste the following code for each of your maps. The name is the filename without the .level extension.
Your maps will now be available in game. More details on the .levels files are here: Custom Maps - What you need to know!
HWR 2.0 Patch Map Changes
The following nebulas will appear as black boxes, and must be replaced with alternate code. The first 4 are identical replacements, however the last nebula must be substituted with a similar looking nebula.
- addNebula(“polysurface5”, “M05_DustCloud_Nebula”,
- addNebula(“polysurface5”, “M05_NebualDustCloud_NoRes”,
- addNebula(“polysurface5”, “M05_NebualDustCloud_NoRes2”,
- addNebula(“polysurface5”, “M05_NebualDustCloud_NoRes3”,
- addNebula(“polysurface5”, “Nebula_Hiding”,
---->closest substitute: addNebula(“polysurface5”, “m11_bentusi_debris”,
PayDay’s Map Editor
PayDay’s Map Editor for HWR came out in September 2016, and is still under development. As of 2019, it has some advantages and disadvantages compared to Skunks map editor. Hopefully it will only get better!