How to improve Borderlands 3(idea crafting) -attachment/prefix weapon/item customization

I’ve been doing a little bit of idea crafting on how to improve things/fix problems in borderlands. let me know your feedback and/or tell us if you have any ideas yourselves.

Problem A: the uselessness of whites and green items(mostly weapons) past the beginning of the games

Problem B: Borderlands 2 and Borderlands TPS relies too much on boss/enemy drops for its legendaries. my main problem isn’t that boss/enemy drops are by far the best why to get specific legendaries. its the different variants on the guns that make boss grinding very bothersome. also if you don’t like farming a boss, run them like 50+ times finely get the weapon, but oh no wrong variant time to run them like 50 more times and hope that weapon variant drops

Solution 1 for A and B: We should have a system to customize the weapon attachments/prefixes. The system i thought of was instead of selling weapons, we could have a weapon scrap system, that the scrap is use for getting weapon attachments/prefixes are bought or swapped for a selected weapon. it could be part of the weapon grinder system(be great if the grinder be part of the menus instead of machine in town). it would also give more reason to pick up white and green, basically to mass scrap them. Gives people more options on getting their weapon variant they need(still have to put in the work to get at lest get the weapon but don’t have to get grind the enemy again if you get the wrong variant). Can work for toward that weapon without doing the same thing over. and over. of course the thing like legendaries would take more scrap then like a blue so farm said enemy would still be a good way to get that variant. Lastly could work lore wise, scraping a weapon manufacturer competitor’s weapons would remove them from the market and if you scrap their weapons your trading their parts back for “cheap”

edit(5-4-19): i thought it was clear but here i go, i’m not advocating the removal of white and green weapons never said that never will. When i say weapon scrap i don’t mean to remove them from the game! Scrap is a concept secondary currency like eridium or moon stones used to change weapon attachment/prefix.

Future solutions - (this is a placeholder if think of something in the future or if someone posts cool solutions to the problems above(will be quoted) and edit it in)

want to talk about other ways to improve borderlands 3? Check out my other how to improve BL3 post(s), link below
Skill trees

1 Like

I feel like a better solution would be having all legendary+ items in the global pool and specific rare enemies and bosses have an extra maybe boosted chance at dropping a specific legendary+ item. That way if you want a specific item you still have a method to farming it. However there will always be a chance of getting it randomly while doing stuff.

As far as more options on stuff to do with lower rarity items. Maybe expand the grinder from TPS with more recipes or more slots to feed a bigger blender.

1 Like

Didn’t the pre-sequel have this system already? The Grinder machines in Sanctuary were used to upgrade multiple trash items to get better ones.

Edit: Concordia, not Sanctuary…thanks @ttrejo

OK, it appears that several people need a reminder of the COMMUNITY GUIDELINES and FORUM RULES

Specifically:

• Don’t talk down to other users
  • ALWAYS keep it civil - be excellent
  • If you don’t like a topic, don’t post in it
  • If you see a post that violates the forum rules, FLAG IT; let the moderators deal with it

I’ll re-open this thread in a bit once PMs have been sent and folks have had a chance to calm down.

2 Likes

Problem B: Borderlands 2 and Borderlands TPS relies too much on boss/enemy drops for its legendaries. my main problem isn’t that boss/enemy drops are by far the best why to get specific legendaries. its the different variants on the guns that make boss grinding very bothersome. also if you don’t like farming a boss, run them like 50+ times finely get the weapon, but oh no wrong variant time to run them like 50 more times and hope that weapon variant drops

I agree. This was one of the biggest problems with BL2s farming. It was even worse when talking about mission specific items since you just have to keep dashboarding and loading your game til you get the parts you need. It looks like BL3 is placing a greater emphasis in-game on weapon parts, since you can now view a description of a gun’s parts when inspecting the weapon. Therefore, I definitely think there needs to be some way to swap the parts rather than just having to re-farm the same exact gun 50 times, and then having to do it again in 5 levels or whatever. I think a cool idea would be a grinder type of machine that lets you swap some parts from one gun on to another gun of the same rarity. Hell I wouldn’t even care if it had to be the same exact gun. Just as long as it’s actually possible to get a weapon with perfect parts rather than refarming endlessly for a perfect variant that you will almost certainly never find.

If nothing else, I would at least hope they implement a way to “re-roll” the weapon for a small fee. Although, I think the weapon part swapping would be more fun since it keeps the emphasis more on farming items rather than standing in front of a machine and pressing a button.

1 Like

Hmmm… Ok… White weapons can be thrown like bouncing Betty’s (like a grenade with an arc) So they have a consumable property. Or you can drop them and shoot them to set them off. Defensively, they can extend the shields by taking the damage before the shield, but being consumed from you inventory.

This way you have a low budget strategy with low power weapons, but versatility to make them a challenging option.

That would require making a consumable class of weapons with distinct qualities by manufacturer, but it would open up a strategy for experienced players who want another strategy.

1 Like

Hey I think if we could rename an change the element of the gun or grenade an shield that also be nice to have in bl3 :sunglasses::pray:t2::+1: