How to make the game easier for a noob?

I’ve played the game before on PC (melee Zer0 level 49) and I can tell that I’m well experienced with the game. But some days ago I bought the ps3 version (cause my pc is so bad) and my mom wanted to try playing coop with me. She is a noob in general FPS games, and she have some difficulties when the game is too complicate. But she really want to play with me. So I picked Maya to support her with the Harmony tree, she picked Sal because she like the go-in-the-middle-and-keep-shooting style play. She don’t want to pick other character but she is in trouble (most or the time I have to revive her). Is there a method or something to make the game easier for her? At the moment we are level 8 and just killed Flynt

5 Likes

tip moxxi and get your mom some good/bad touch so that she will have some sort of healing.

then upgrade it with a rubi and a heartbreaker when the quest for it became available.

4 Likes

Thanks, I didn’t think of it xD this will make the game little easier. Which weapon for the second slot when gunzerking? She like SMGs and ARs, and she hate low fire rate weapons (and she hate sniper rifles in general, even if it has a high fire rate xD)

4 Likes

it is normal mode, anything will work.

Check this thread, be warned, don’t sing it. lol

4 Likes

3 Likes

@nat_zero_six I’m flattered that the silliness I spout seemed apropos to you. :blush:

I think it’s beyond cool that your mom is going to tour Pandora with you. It’s a trip I’d love to take with my mom.
I think you already did the best thing by going Maya because Maya is a fantastic support toon. Nat is right, in NVHM you should be able to make pretty much anything work. I find Sal to be kind of a slow starter because of how gear dependent he is, but you can make it all work, and it will get easier as your mom gets more and more used to being Sal. I’d suggest making the middle three of your Maya your focus until you spec Res (Sweet Release first, then Restoration, Res. You could spec Elated too for extra Phaselock healing), and then the right tree to Cloud Kill. And as much as slag is an unnecessary thing in Normal I’d suggest using slag weapons to soften the enemies on the field (assuming your hanging back while your mom runs point). As for your mom, she can spec the Brawn tree to good effect in Normal and that should help her Tank more effectively. If she is trying to get to max level she’ll probably want to respec into Rampage to start TVHM. Other than that you can always ask questions in the Salvador section and get advice specific to her situation/setup/playstyle there.

And welcome to the forums. It’s the most helpful place on the web. Sort of like a Pandoran welcome center, complete with maps and brochures, for folks looking to slaughter their way through the Borderlands.

5 Likes

Lol because of you i have LSS.

2 Likes

Just because Sal can tank through pretty much anything at level 72 doesn’t mean he can do that at low levels. May I suggest some reading! It’s a breakdown on his skills, and at the end there are sugestions on leveling builds.

7 Likes

Thank you @paulothead , I was already focusing in the middle tree. Your suggestion to use slag, even if in normal mode is not necessary, is right, so she can deal more damage to enemies. I’ll pay attention for a slag sniper rifle (I’m using sniper rifles to support my mom at distance). As for my mom, she is focusing in the middle tree, because she uses a lot of ammos (she isn’t much accurate), maybe I can convince her to respec in the Brawn tree xD. One question that I have thought in this moment: for the healing with the Restoraton skill, a sniper rifle is effective or not? If not which type of weapon can heal more?

4 Likes

Thanks @Ronnie_Rayburn , I will give a look

4 Likes

About sniper rifles, I think for Maya they all work pretty well, Sniders will have the highest slag chance but I like the Dahl Scout on my Maya. As for effectiveness with Restoration I cant really say anything because my Mayas have never played coop :scream:, but I would think they’d work ok. Maybe a high rate of fire like a Droog would be better for that. @Ronnie_Rayburn, have you experience nursing, and therefore more practical knowledge?

Back to Sal for a second, I suggested Brawn because of your description of how your mom plays. For me the middle tree was the move, but I also played more cautiously and the extended gunzerk as well as shortened cooldown was more helpful than being able to soak up bullets was. That link Ronnie provided is full of helpful information, so it should help your mom make choices that are good for her.

4 Likes

Despite all my hours of playing, I’ve only played a couple of hours in Co-op due to technical issues. However, I can still come up with some solid advice on Maya. She is, after all, my main girl. :wink:

The level of healing you get from restoration is based on the dps you deal. If you’re capable of landing hits with a slow firing weapon, it will heal. Simple as that! But… I’ve never been a real fan of Restoration in the first place. It has it’s moments, but I think there are more important skills to go for before even considering Restoration. I’ll try to explain why.

In UVHM, you deal enough damage that a couple of points in Restoration is more than enough and the level of damage that enemies deal also makes it a good choice. But in NVHM, it’s a different story. 5/5 in Restoration means that the healing is 30% of the damage dealt. There are various items that can boost your damage output, but at level 8, you’re not likely to have any of those items yet. If you have some BAR, it will increase the dps, but you will generally have a hard time finding a sniper that deals +100 at that stage. Your health will be somewhere between 150 and 200, if memory serves me. Maybe slightly higher. Anyways… The math is becoming clearer now, right? It’s just not a very effective skill at that point, imo. You’ll be better off specing 5/5 in Sweet release, and when the time comes, you’ll start putting points in Elated. Sweet Release doesn’t care if it’s you or your mom that does the killing, as long as it’s a phaselocked enemy. Elated heals everyone on the team with a percentage based on your health. Even with this in mind, I’d much rather drop points in Wreck over Restoration. Get a cooldown relic as soon as you can for more phaselock.

Since Elated heals based off the level of your health, the number of points you drop into it may vary. You’ll need to get a feel for how much is needed. Once you’re satisfied, you should start down the Motion tree to get Converge. It’s one of Maya’s best skills, and it will help out your mom too.

If you find a nurse COM or a Matriarch COM, you might wanna consider those. Just don’t give up your whole offense. Your mom needs to play a bit smarter more carefully. Rushing in is fine if you have the right gear. If you don’t… :worried: The FFYL timer gets shorter and shorter each time you go down, so it’s generally a better idea to stay alive in the first place.

Snipers

Phaselock makes it so that you can really take your time and aim. And to get the most out of that, you’ll want a powerful sniper that can one-shot most enemies. I’ve always liked Maliwan Sniders (Maliwan barrel) on Maya, but I’m a big fan of Jakobs snipers too. I tend to rip through all my ammo on Vladof snipers, so I don’t use them as much. Some of them are really good, though. It’s just that they compensate a lower base damage with a higher fire rate. Dahl is even worse on ammo, unless you hipfire them. Some of them whip out 5-shot bursts. :scream: Ten bursts, and all 48 are gone! :rofl:

Fast firing guns will rip through Sal’s ammo pool in seconds. If she’s hell bent on using them, I’d suggest that she at least uses different types.

While tipping Moxxi will get you some of her weapons, I shudder at the thought of doing it that early. Why, you ask? Because the first gun she gives you is a corrosive one, and it’s a one-off. Only one per character. Choose wisely!

Once you have a Moxxi weapon, you can wield it while wearing nova- or spike shields for some nice healing.

5 Likes

Thank you guys for supporting us :smiley:

5 Likes

We’ve all been there before, and now we’re here for you. We’re happy to help. Have fun, and don’t be shy about asking questions. :+1:

4 Likes

Wow … Your mom sounds really cool.

Go farm Knuckledragger for a Hornet pistol. She should be able to melt anything at level 8 with one.

2 Likes

I would advise against this. In normal anything works, no reason to waste time farming for a level 1 or 2 Hornet. Much better if you want to farm, hit up Savage Lee for a Harold. That will be around level 9 in Normal, I believe. However anything will work in Normal, you don’t even need to match elements.

7 Likes

Yeah … I can agree with that logic! A Harold would be much better but a Hornet is much easier to come by.

1 Like

By the time you will actually need a corrosive weapon, you will find that the Hornet from level 1-4 just isn’t up to par. A level 8-9 Harold will last all the way to Wildlife Exploitation Preserve if necessary. Hornet is also not a great gun if you wanna gunzerk. It’s at it’s best when you aim down sight and get the burst fire.

But normally, you’ll find other guns that will do the job just as good! Keep that in mind! :wink:

3 Likes

Minus the fact that no one here wants to kill, eat or experiment on you- w/o your permission, of course :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

:crazy_face: You sure? We could stick 'em in the Fridge!

3 Likes