How to Make Your Own Ship Badges for Homeworld Remastered (VIDEO Tutorial)

Click for my Video Tutorial on how to create your very own Homeworld Remastered Ship badges!

UPDATE:
Personally I haven’t had any problem removing badges but if you’re trying to remove your badges and find they are being replaced by Steam SquidLordWilliams explains how to prevent Steam from replacing them here:

Finally! A method to DELETE files stored in Steam Cloud servers!

There’s a certain tricky bit in that HWR doesn’t use the S2 file
buffer in the app-number specific directory (as they refer to it,
“/remote”) but just roots itself in the S1 / “profiles:” directory.

So, the short version of the trick is to note that to force the Sync Conflict, Steam needs to be exited, you need to actively change the content of any/all of the TGA files in “profiles:/badges” (I did so by simply saving a flipped version of a badge to all of the files in there via PhotoShop – it was convenient), and then starting Steam, then HWR, which gave me the Sync Conflict pop-up, and before going any further with the pop-up, leaving it open to the side, deleting the “profiles/badges” directly entirely. Tell Steam to upload a new Cloud Sync from disk and whoosh, it synchronizes to only what you have on disk.

Don’t ask how long it took to get that process figured out.

But this works.

4 Likes

cool thanks i will try it , maybe we can make some kind of badges database ?

so i make a tom cruise top-gun badge, everyone can use it on the carrier

Haha! I can already hear the music…

here we go! thanks for your good tutorial

last time in the open space…

… all the young and wild recrouit bomber pilots in the space-bar are like “… wooo Dude, have you seen my new logo? its so awsome…”

… and everybody is like “wooo dude, i need it too” … even the mothership was crazy about that new ■■■■!

and the old guy, smoking his cigarette inside the resource collector
“… OH COMMON!..”

1 Like

I should probably start a thread for everyone to post their badges in…anyone second that?

Great tutorial, btw, @P3G4SU5. I left a request on your vid…

Sure. A centralised thread would be useful as a hub. Taking a look at that request now… :slight_smile:

LOVE. IT. :smile:

Heh.

Thread open, here:

@flure99, care to kick it off?

I’m actually having the reverse problem:

Having tinkered with several badges and gone through multiple iterations, I don’t seem to be able to remove the badges with variant names from “D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Homeworld\HomeworldRM\Bin\Profiles\Badges”. Every badge with every name I’ve used seems to be recreated and placed back in the directory, even if I remove every badge from that directory.

Recreation appears to happen at the time the Launcher is launched, which catches me significantly by surprise.

Thoughts? Because this is going to build a tonne of cruft as I experiment away.

Hi SquidLord,

This is the first time I’ve heard anything about the game replacing the badges. Have you tried deleting the entire ‘Badges’ folder instead of the folder contents to to see whether your issue persists?

Also I notice you mentioned that you have badges in \Steam\steamapps\common\Homeworld\HomeworldRM\Bin\PROFILES\Badges <—attention to the ‘Profiles’ folder.

I recommend placing the ‘Badges’ folder inside the ‘\Homeworld\HomeworldRM\Data’ directory instead and removing the one you have in the Profiles directory.

1 Like

Interestingly, I just tested deleting Badges altogether – and, unexpectedly, starting the Launcher actually aggressively recreated the Badges folder and the TGA files within. Not only did it recreate the directory and the files, it did so before even initializing and opening the Launcher window itself.

That tells me these things have to be getting copied over to somewhere in the file tree, but where is not immediately obvious.

Things have now been moved, and I’ll restart the Launcher once more.

(Minutes later.)

Interesting. No difference after purging Profiles/Badges; Launcher recreates the directory and TGA files within just as before.

Inside the game once launched, I noticed that the displayed badges when editing your Profile is edited show their abstract file path when you hover over them. Having created a new Badges directory under Data, I see duplicates of the active badges, one of which hovers and says “profiles:/badges” and the other which says “data:/badges”.

What that tells me is that things are getting read correctly, but the Launcher backs up the Badges under Profiles to somewhere else for sure. I’ll test to see if the same happens in Data.

(Seconds later.)

It pointedly does not recreate Badges located under Data. Deleting them from there removes that instance from the choices.

I wonder – given that this is happening in the Profiles directory and I can’t seem to find anywhere else this could be coming from, could it be that Gearbox implemented a very naive Steam Cloud Save method and simply assumes everything living under “profiles:” needs to be mirrored up and down to the Steam storage? I mean, that’d be a kind of ridiculous method, but … I’ve been a programmer myself too long to not see ridiculous methods every day.

Ever had a day where you wish you weren’t right?

This is exactly what’s happening.

I tested it by going into Steam, turning off “enable Steam Cloud synchronization”, deleting the “profiles:” Badge directory, then starting the Launcher.

No problem at all. Only saw the badges in the “data:/badges” directory. It even seemed to start up considerably faster.

I then exited the Launcher and turned Cloud sync back on – and immediately, without even starting the Launcher, it sync’d the Badges directory from online back to disk, duping all the old badges.

Which leads me to think two things:

1. Badges actually need to be put under “profiles:/badges” if you intend to ever use them on another computer via Steam Cloud Sync. If you don’t, your Profile will just straight-up be invalid when it comes to using your personalized badge.

2. There needs to be added a means to manage your Badges in HWR’s Launcher itself. As far as I can tell (at the moment), there’s no way for a user to tinker with what’s in Steam Cloud Storage directly or indirectly; it has to be done from the Steam game application itself. Without that, there’ll be no way to deal with managing badges at all. Specifically, there needs to be a way to delete them, in-game.

Research. It’s what’s for dinner.

That was some interesting reading with rather unexpected findings. The reason I say this is that I dedicated some time to using badges stored in the ‘Profiles’ directory in order to test something else and when I was finished I returned the ‘Badge’ folder back into the ‘Data’ folder without experiencing the troubles you’ve been having.

I can confirm cloud synchronisation was on at the time so it’s strange. It’s a puzzle that’s for sure. Let us know if you discover anything.

In times of trouble, the best thing to do is apply Google, rub vigorously, and smile until your face hurts. Solutions come.

In this case, it was kind of a painful process that held as its key finding this thread:

Finally! A method to DELETE files stored in Steam Cloud servers!

There’s a certain tricky bit in that HWR doesn’t use the S2 file buffer in the app-number specific directory (as they refer to it, “/remote”) but just roots itself in the S1 / “profiles:” directory.

So, the short version of the trick is to note that to force the Sync Conflict, Steam needs to be exited, you need to actively change the content of any/all of the TGA files in “profiles:/badges” (I did so by simply saving a flipped version of a badge to all of the files in there via PhotoShop – it was convenient), and then starting Steam, then HWR, which gave me the Sync Conflict pop-up, and before going any further with the pop-up, leaving it open to the side, deleting the “profiles/badges” directly entirely. Tell Steam to upload a new Cloud Sync from disk and whoosh, it synchronizes to only what you have on disk.

Don’t ask how long it took to get that process figured out.

But this works.

Hmm, lets see how a couple of old custom badges I have work, plus an old Badge collection…

Somtaaw never looked so good.

1 Like