I just finished the first rough pass of rebalancing and tweaking to make Remastered feel less like an awful mishmash of HW1 and HW2 and more like Homeworld 1’s pacing, balance, and general gameplay mixed with the conveniences of HW2. So far it only applies to Kushan, because it would’ve been a pain to duplicate everything while I was working on it for Taiidan. Once I nail down the numbers I’ll get Taiidan working.
There’s a few special ships (drone frigate, cloak fighter, etc) that haven’t had their damage/speeds adjusted, but the HP values are correct across the board.
- HW2 armor system removed, 10 damage is now 10 damage no matter what a ship is shooting
- Damage, rate of fire, and HP values lifted directly from HW1
- Ship speeds ported over from HW1 at 0.4 times to keep in the correct scale and feeling
- Weapon ranges ported over from HW1 at 0.5 times the range, again to keep with the correct scale and feeling
- Muzzle velocities ported over from HW1 at 0.5 times speed for same reasons as above
- Bullet effect for Corvettes beefed up so you can still see them at their high speeds
- Interceptors now built in squadrons of 4
- Scouts now built in squadrons of 3
- Accuracy of all weapons tuned to better approximate their HW1 counterparts and situations
The effect of this all is that the game now just feels so much more right. Destroyers now longer plow through walls of frigates. Frigates are no longer tissue paper cannon fodder. Capital ship battles have length to them and aren’t over as soon as somebody pops out the designated counter. Destroyers and Heavy Cruisers now feel balanced with the rest of the ships. Interceptors aren’t worthless garbage and actually have relatively high DPS in a fragile, but speedy platform. Corvettes are heavy tanks that have slow firing weapons, but they’re very high velocity, hard hitting, and generally accurate.
Screenshots don’t really do this justice, so here’s a hastily recorded video.