I like some of the balance changes that went into HW1R.
- When playing HW1R and HW2R back to back, there is more consistency in how the ships work. Frigates were too strong in the original.
- Bombers were useless in HW1, but I used them throughout my HW1R playthrough.
- I never built Assault Frigates in Classic. In HW1R they were very dependable ships that satisfied many roles, just as they were described in the lore.
- Cruisers are menacing, not just a bigger destroyer.
- While neat in some ways and a big part of classic gameplay, formations in Classic were not immersive for me. Essentially, formations combined smaller ships into one “larger” ship. It was like all ships were slaved to one pilot. Although admittedly fun in the original, I prefer not being able to surround capital ships in sphere formation and bully and torture helpless cruisers to death. Capships are menacing and fighter movements don’t allow them to “bully the big kids.”
- Multi-gun corvettes don’t murder all strike craft like they were flammable.
- The missile destroyer doesn’t have enough oomph.
- Missile Destroyers fire too slowly.
- MDs should have more capship stopping power.
- Because of the unit cap, there is little reason to build them or trade a commissioned destroyer. Assault Frigates have taken up the slack.
- Support Frigates need more speed/healing range.
- Turanic and Kadeshi motherships are just big targets. It was “cinematic” for me when the Turanic carrier, flanked by two ion array frigates, engaged my mothership with ion beams in the original.
- Even if the ramming logic is too difficult for HW1R, they should have forward or broadside ion beams for “scare factor.”
- For multibeam frigates, even if the spin/raking logic is too difficult for HW1R, the ion beams could be on a “virtual turret” to sweep along a target’s path.
- Also, I hardly remember any multibeam frigates spawning for them to even be a memory. They were iconic in the original. In HW1R, I feel like only two spawned, and they died quickly.
- Perhaps multibeam frigates could be given destroyer level hit points to make them more menacing.
- I think in the last mission an entire enemy fleet was missing. If one wasn’t missing, maybe you should add one! I think the last mission would be more memorable if it had one more fleet to take down.
*For me, the Turanic/Kadeshi motherships and multibeam frigates don’t have to behave like the original! I would be happy if they just did SOMETHING that felt like a threat, so they would at least evoke the same level of urgency they did in Classic.
I think this is important to make this a definitive, complete game.
And finally…THANK YOU for bringing Homeworld back! I hope my list was constructive, with simple ideas that may be considered to make HW1R an enduring classic in its own right.