HW2 Classic Mods Not Working

(Omnipotent Snail) #1

I've been looking around for a while but have yet to find any solution, so I figured I'd start a thread in case others are having the same problem.

I want to run some of the awesome mods the community has made for Homeworld 2 Classic, but no matter what I try the game does not launch. When trying to run a mod using the launcher, I set everything up, hit play, get the windows loading spinny cursor, then.... nothing. It never loads into the game, I never even get to a black screen, it just quits without giving me any error message.

I've tried running them from the command line using the -mod flag and explicit file paths, to the same result.

Running mods for Remastered using the launcher works perfectly. I am not using an AMD card.

From looking through the error logs, it seems that when I try to run any mod (I've tried 3 so far) the game runs into an (or some) errors while loading the LUAs.

The only thing I haven't tried yet is uninstalling and reinstalling the whole game, but I'd rather not do that if I don't have to because I'm at University and the wifi is crap.

I'm stumped as how to fix this because the same mods seem to work just fine for other people. Like I said, I can run Remastered mods just fine, and I can also play Homeowrld 1 and 2 classic without mods fine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: I found one mod that seems to work, the Mass Effect Reborn mod... none of the others I have tried do, however

Specs:
Steam Version, installed on external drive (could this have anything to do with it?)
Late 2014 MacBook Pro running Bootcamp Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
Intel Core i7
Nvidia GT 750 M graphics
16 GB RAM

List the mods you're trying to play and the HW2.log errors encountered in each of them.

(Omnipotent Snail) #3

FreeSpace: Fleet Command

Mon Mar 16 18:58:36 2015
Loaded Archive: 'Homeworld2.big'
UTIL -- filepath failure, path doesn't exists 'E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Homeworld\Homeworld2Classic\data\locale\English'
Loaded Archive: 'English.big'
Loaded Archive: '76561198038325136\399059073\FSFCv3.big'
Uing ..profiles\ for profiles folder
LUA 'data:LevelData\Multiplayer\SURVIVAL.LUA' -- parameter: attempt to call global Player_GetRace' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
1: main of string "" at line 76
2: function
dofilepath' [C]
3: main of string "" at line 71
GAME -- Using player profile Player1
parameter: expected;
last token read: Ä' at line 1 in string ""
data:UI\UI.lua
LUA_ERRSYNTAX: syntax error during precompilation -- FATAL EXIT -- scripting/710:! --stack trace-- 0x004C8BBA: SteamLobbySessionDesc::SetUserData (E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Homeworld\Homeworld2Classic\bin\Release\Homeworld2.exe) 0x007A1F50: ServerMatchmakingManager::
vftable' (E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Homeworld\Homeworld2Classic\bin\Release\Homeworld2.exe)

Star Trek: Continuum (This one gets as far as a black loading screen!)
Mon Mar 16 18:59:43 2015
Loaded Archive: 'Homeworld2.big'
UTIL -- filepath failure, path doesn't exists 'E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Homeworld\Homeworld2Classic\data\locale\English'
Loaded Archive: 'English.big'
Loaded Archive: '76561198038325136\403358147\STC_GAMMA.big'
Uing ..profiles\ for profiles folder
LUA 'data:LevelData\Multiplayer\INVASION_TNG.LUA' -- parameter: invalid control char;
last token read: 0x00' at line 1 in string ""
stack traceback:
1: function
dofilepath' [C]
2: main of string "" at line 5
3: function dofilepath' [C]
4: main of string "" at line 132
GAME -- Using player profile Player1
LUA 'data:ui/camera.lua' -- parameter: <statement> expected;
last token read:
È' at line 1 in string ""
Changing from a 32 bit colour depth in winNT (6.1 build 7601), Service Pack 1
error executing GetAssumedLatestDll() in driverConfig.lua
error executing GetAssumedLatestDllVersion() in driverConfig.lua
error executing AdjustForBadDrivers() in driverConfig.lua
Using NVIDIA Corporation's 4.5.0 NVIDIA 347.52 GeForce GT 750M/PCIe/SSE2 renderer (Suspected driver is 0)
Loaded Archive: 'EnglishSpeech.big'
Loaded Archive: 'Music.big'
LUA 'Data:Sound/root.lua' -- parameter: expected;
last token read: `' at line 1 in string ""
Unable to set sound root path, missing root.lua in Data:Sound -- FATAL EXIT -- soundmaninit/692:! --stack trace-- 0x006C2856: getLibraryID (E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Homeworld\Homeworld2Classic\bin\Release\Homeworld2.exe) 0x004F2CF5: SteamLobbySessionDesc::SetUserData (E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Homeworld\Homeworld2Classic\bin\Release\Homeworld2.exe)

(Botman) #4

Seeing this "parameter: invalid control char;" leads me to believe that it has something to do with the way Bootcamp is handling files. It seems like it's getting characters that are not in the standard ASCII character set possibly because it thinks the file is not ANSI/ASCII but UTF-16 or Unicode. I don't know much about bootcamp, but the only thing I can suggest is using the "verify game cache" feature in Steam to make sure that your files were all downloaded properly (this includes any mods downloaded from Workshop).

To do the "verify game cache", right click on the game in Steam, select 'Properties', then click the "LOCAL FILES" tab and click the "Verify Integrity of Game Cache..." button and Steam will check each of the files downloaded for the game to verify that you don't have any missing or corrupt files on your machine.

Could it have something to do with the 'dofilepath' function? It seems to be involved in both cases.

(Captain Elson) #6

I FOUND A SOLUTION. Sorry for bringing this thread back, but if you haven’t been able to mod HW2C since march 2015, I feel the need to let everyone in the universe know that this works for me.
You need to type in the Command Line box,
" -nopbuffer -w [Desired Resolution Width(Pixels)] -h [Desired Resolution Height(Pixels)]"
For example, Mine reads " -nopbuffer -w 1920 -h 1080"
Again, Sorry for bringing this thread back, but I feel the need to let everyone know that you can play Star Wars Warlords (and all your other quirky mods) again
Cheers!
Captain Elson

(Snake_B5) #7

the nopbuffer trick have been documented a long time ago in the global crash topic here :wink: Master Troubleshooting Thread (Crashing, Graphic Issues, Syncing)

(Nathanius) #8

The only time I’ve seen unexpected characters like this is when Steam had borked the download and corrupted the file. It’s been the bane of quite a few people. Solution for that is deleting and redownloading the *.big file here:

[quote=“OmnipotentSnail, post:3, topic:134451”]
Loaded Archive: ‘76561198038325136\403358147\STC_GAMMA.big’[/quote]