[HWR MOD] FX: The Legendary Fleet v1.0 Has Come Out!

FX:LF is the first step of 9CCN MOD Team’s new mod on Remastered which is called FX:Galaxy . This MOD introduces 9CCN’s Legendary Fleet in both HW1/HW2 campaign, and offers a brand new “survival mode”.
Please check our moddb page for more details:

1 Like

Good stuff guys! A few notes:

• Nice .big protection trick… :wink: Not terribly hard to detect/remove - but I’m not your target audience I think.

• The .HOD files you guys have are REALLY bad for performance, FYI. They’re using meshes with TONS of single-strip calls (4-10 verts at a time on average, >500 single strips, 1 call each) - whereas in comparison most HW:RM ships draw with 1 call per material, per mesh (so some do 3-4 calls, really complex ones might to 20 calls). That primitive type won’t even be supported long… I’m a bit surprised it draws right now, frankly.

• FX Mod has always had great… well… FX :wink: Check out how to use Beam Lights and such - they’ll really amp up how your stuff looks. I saw some ‘beam light’ files and was really excited until I realized they’re just normal lights… :frowning:

• DXT5 is BAD. If you see a HW:RM mesh use it, it’s probably a very special case.

• No Normals/Team/Stripe/etc?

• Your bounds compute logic is the old box then radius for many ships it’s SUPER wasteful (stuff will try to draw when nowhere near the screen)

• You have tons of ‘old’ scar data, it’s just wasted space/load-time. On top of which these ships don’t get any battle scars.

In the future the Collision systems will have data similar to the Scar systems (allowing for more accurate hit-tests more often for much less CPU) - so you’ll need to swap to using HODOR or end up with a ton of ships that don’t get hit very much… Please ping me if you need anything - the work done for the FX Mods is literally some of the very best done, anywhere, IMHO.

5 Likes

@BitVenom we should have a sub-forum for released mods, since here they are quickly buried under technical discussions, and mods like Complex and this (which are, as you said, the best).

1 Like

Are the mesh strip calls and bounds compute logic only a side effect of whether they’re using hodor or not?

CfHodEd had some busted logic for a few things (oh god it’s old scar logic was terrifyingly bad) - but I dunno if that’s the tool used here. I’d almost say ‘no’ - but it’s hard to tell. A very small handful of HW2 HODs back when we started had the same problem - no idea why or what made them different either.

The actual mesh format HODOR makes is better, but the low-level format just sucks. Something better is eventually going to appear - I know what it looks like but have a few weeks of more important work to do.

Hello!

Any idea when the full version of the mod will come out?

Fairly interested in this project. Mostly because of how bad I am at HW2 and I’m beginning to wonder if using classic units through its campaign would be easier.