Hyperion SMGs (non uniques): A Closer Look

Hey guys I have been on a binge laterly of trying to use more non-red text weapons and make them useful (non uniques).

Another section of weapons I noticed I have never really used are the hyperion SMGs. Is there one that stands out from the rest int his bunch? Similar to how Synergy pistols are very good compared to the rest of the hyperion pistols?

I noticed I have had a few hyperion smgs that had very little initial kick whereas have an initial kick that is way too annoying. By the time the perfect accuracy sets I already ran out of ammo so I am trying to find out the best parts if I can? Thanks for your help.

2 Likes

Hyperion SMG’s initial sway is what kept me away from them for a very long time.
I discovered that the Hyperion stock reduces said sway however and this makes a world of difference. Dahl stock is actually second best imo (counter to normal advice).

Another great thing to help is a Hyperion allegiance relic with accuracy which helps it get to max accuracy much faster - similar to the Bitch.

As far as types, naturally I gravitate to the Maliwan-barreled variety - Backburner, Storm, Weisenheimer - because they’re sooooo rare. :stuck_out_tongue:
Seriously though, I really like them.

Of course you want to have a Hyperion grip as well.

5 Likes

If you have a high badass rank you also might want to pay attention to how much recoil reduction you’re invested in. It has a reverse effect on the hyperion reverse recoil gimmick making it actually harmful on Hyperion gear. Usually it’s not too noticable but especially when you pick up stuff that kicks all over the place at the beginning it starts mattering a lot more.

I’m not too well versed on Hyperion SMG’s parts. If I pick one up I just shoot it in the air for a mag to see if it’s worth it LOL. Hyperion E-tech plasma casters are really good, I think? I rarely use plasma casters so I have trouble remembering which brands are good but I’m fairly sure Hyperion was one of the best ones out there.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for clearing that up guys. So it is actually the stock that helps lower the recoil? I never knew that.

I also didn’t the accuracy relic helps it return faster to max accuracy so you end up using less ammo spraying all over.

2 Likes

Oh yes I got like around 10 percent on badass ranks but I stopped putting it in after that because of those guns.

1 Like

For the most part, a Dahl stock on most guns (snipers, SMGs, ARs) will be the most effective way to reduce recoil.

Hyperion stock is the most reliable on shotguns (with Torgue being an odd competitor).

Hyperion stock on Hyperion SMGs limits the sway and gets max accuracy a bit faster.
Edit - did a quick test. Dahl stock did better than I remembered. The other stocks were terrible though.

2 Likes

I always hated Hyperion guns in general because of the initial sway. But then someone said something about the Hyperion allegiance relic reducing the initial sway. I tried it out, and the result came out as an allegiance build for Maya. It made a huge difference. There was still some sway, but now it was manageable. The Bitch, which was my main gun in that build, had almost no sway at all. Here’s the build!

5 Likes

Thanks again fro breaking it down for me it really helps a lot. I have been addicted to trying to match the gun parts when I can.

3 Likes

That is a great little build you have there! I am going to have to try it out sometime!

3 Likes

Also don’t mean to switch topics too much but for Hyperion Pistols what would the equivalent of a Hyperion stock for reducing the intial sway and recoil kick… would it just be a hyperion pistol grip?

1 Like

I haven’t done a lot of testing with pistol grips. I tend to default to matching grip almost without exception. The Hyperion grip should theoretically be best ; Dahl grips are great for stability so should help.

The best thing I found is the Core (stability) prefix. I recently discovered this for the Lady Fist for Deputy Sal. I always spec Steady As She Goes which has a negative effect on Hyperion’s reverse recoil. Basically, swapping to a regular Fist while Gunzerking caused the reticle to bounce around to the point that I couldn’t reliably crit (which is kind of the point).

I fluked onto the Core (it just happened to be the first slag one I got when I was farming) and this fixed it. I haven’t tried it with other characters yet.

2 Likes

Good idea with the Core prefix thanks for the heads up I will keep an eye out for that. I wish I could reset my BAR now cuz I like using it but the recoil reduction hurts things.

2 Likes

I don’t think your 10% will have a noticeable negative impact. Some people have 40-50% - which would be noticeable. The Steady skill is 80%.

2 Likes

I’m quite sure that the stability is not that important on other characters who are not adding that huge debuff to their hyperion guns :smiley:

That said I do think it’s probably one of the top 4 good prefixes you can get for it and definitely gets the job done so if you feel like that is the most comfy for you to use then do that.

I’ve always gone with damage but double shot should be pretty awesome too if ammo consumption is not a problem for how you’re using it.

1 Like

So much good advice in this thread. Thanks guys :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I didn’t know about this before this thread, so I tried it. I have ~43% BAR, and the difference with BAR on and off on a Hyperion plasma caster (which I find to be one of the worst when it comes to swaying), was more than noticeable. I was actually able to use it efficiently with BAR off. With BAR on, it’s like sniping with Gaige and 150-200 anarchy stacks.

4 Likes

Too bad there is no way to reset BAR without using profile editors :frowning:

1 Like

I kinda did the same thing with a Maya. Previously she was a Cat Maya who was already kinda mostly-Hyperion. Using a Hyperion allegiance relic (and proper parts after educating myself) made the Actualizer an actually viable weapon. :smiley: (And it’s much easier to farm for than a Bitch, which I got tired of farming for…)

4 Likes