I cannot support Gearbox if they are anti-police

Gearbox has postponed the June 4 update to show solidarity with the Black Lives Matter (BLM) movement. As a retired cop, I find this appalling. BLM is calling to defund police across the nation. They accuse all cops of being racist. They accuse entire departments of being racist. They call for death to police. In a department of 4,000 sworn, I never saw any overt racist acts by anyone I worked with. I was a cop and I am not a racist. My department was not racist. Our District Attorney was not racist. Our judges were not racist. The problem of racial inequality is not due to, or perpetuated by law enforcement. The problem is extremely complex and won’t be easily solved by blaming cops. Unarmed white men are killed by police. Unarmed Hispanics are killed by police. What makes the news? An unarmed black man killed by a white officer. The death of George Floyd was unacceptable and the officers are all in jail for it. Four bad cops are the reason George Floyd is dead; however, cops are not the reason the black community suffers racial inequality. If Gearbox wants to support change towards racial equality, I fully support that. If I knew how to accomplish it, I would do it in a heartbeat. But I cannot support a game that supports this hateful group.

45 Likes

I think most people never even go to the Black Lives Matter website and look around. BLM isn’t making any secret of their ‘defund’ the police position.

5 Likes

It’s a game calm down

11 Likes

Agree. The police are not the Gestapo, I’m a proud black man who grew up in Queens New York. I’ve experienced my share of police interactions, but I’ve always shown respect to law enforcement and they’ve returned the same civil respect towards me. Even when I was once accused of robbery because they were looking for a young black male in his mid twenties. Cops would come at me aggressive like if I was a hoodlum, but I remained calm and explained in a good calm respectful manner that I was innocent and they must have the wrong guy. Long story short they realized I was not the one they were looking for and we all talked in a civilized manner to clear things up and we parted ways with no bad feelings or hatred and said our “have a nice day” to each other and that was it. If I had responded like an angry Antifa teenager screaming and shouting calling them racist, that situation would most likely have gone horribly wrong.

I support peaceful protest but people supporting Black Lives Matter while they loot and riot and killing black citizens and officers like David Dorn, Patrick Underwood and other black citizens is nothing more than a sham and white people claiming to support Black Lives Matters for their own political correctness image while doing nothing but escalate the violence, is disrespectful and a disgrace.

I love the games Gearbox has created but ever since Borderlands 3 released it looks to me as if Gearbox is starting to lean more and more towards an anti Trump, anti conservative nature, which is sad for me to see because I wish Gearbox would have been neutral and non bias. I hope Gearbox doesn’t get caught in a left versus right political war because it looks like that’s were it’s going. The police need the support of all the communities to stop the violent looting and death.

32 Likes

It is indeed disappointing. On many levels.

It is a poor excuse and bad business practice. It was somewhat evident early on that BL3 didn’t have the same magic as BL2, but GB seems determined to ensure that it won’t share the same longevity.

9 Likes

The key thing to remember is that the #BlackLivesMatter hashtag does NOT refer to a singular organization. You can support the idea that all should have equitable treatment under law and agree that everyone should be entitled to experience their constitutionally guaranteed rights and freedoms without agreeing with every statement or policy position put out under a hashtag or on a website.

I’m going to go out on a limb here and suggest - based on the people at GBX I’ve come to know through interaction via the forums - that GBX are definitely NOT anti-police, but very much pro-equity.

Tl;dr: I don’t think you should feel concerned about supporting GBX because one group within a larger movement has expressed a position you disagree with.

13 Likes

Fair enough, but Gearbox’s intent and people’s perceptions are sometimes different. When I see Black Lives Matter, I see hatred towards cops. I don’t think I’m the only one.

11 Likes

I would simply encourage you to read wider and deeper, because there’s WAY more to BLM than ‘hatred towards cops’. It’s hard though, because there is a lot of mistrust between many black communities and their local police forces. I’ve heard stories around where I live that have me extremely upset about those specific situations, and I know that they are not as rare as someone might suppose based on the local news coverage.

1 Like

Being pro something does not automatically make that individual or organization anti something else.

I understand that inferences can be made but that’s clearly not Gearbox’s message.

3 Likes

If I google Black Lives Matter I get the hateful organization and the defund police nonsense. That’s about as deep and wide as most people will research. The first thing I think of when I see BLM is the, “pigs in a blanket, fry 'em like bacon” chant. When I see BLM, it makes my blood boil. BLM talks nonsense and incites violence against police.

Gearbox, please leave politics out of my video games. I will turn on CNN or Foxnews if I want politics.

11 Likes

Is there any media is truly apolitical?

(by the way, I agree with wanting to avoid politics wherever possible, it’s definitely a tiring and depressing subject regardless of what it focuses on)

5 Likes

You’d honestly be better with NPR than those two…

4 Likes

I was once told to join the BLM movement by members, when I told them that “all lives matter”, lets just say I got some pretty angry verbal responses by my fellow black brothers and sisters in that organization. There are many BLM members that are very respectful and honorable people which I am happy and lucky to know, but then there are some BLM members that are very aggressive and violent, it is usually the loudest and most vocally confrontational that gets to make the 6 o’clock news and media. Some people would normally think that loud and verbally vocal BLM member would be the representative of all the BLM movement, which is not actually true but it’s what it would appear to many.

Same with the police, despite there being many many good officers that have put themselves in harm’s way to protect citizens and many honorable cops losing their lives in the line of duty, the cops that have been irresponsible and abusive are usually the ones that make the 6 o’clock news and online media. And people make the mistake that those bad cops are the representative of all police in the nation, which is not true.

I’m just wondering where are all the BLM supporters for retired officer David Dorn and officer Patrick Underwood who were killed for trying to help their community during the protest and looting. Both good honorable black men loved and respected by their fellow citizens, and yet nobody is talking about them. This is also as tragic as what happened to George Floyd. This is why I don’t see how hash tagging BLM is acceptable while supporters in the BLM movement have hurt and killed their fellow black comrades and other ethnicity in the past few days.

I’m sorry for the long post everybody.

12 Likes

I can kind of see how that might happen: the “all lives matter” got hijacked by white supremacist neo-Nazis. It’s a bit of a tainted phrase.

You’ll find that in any large group with a political agenda, doesn’t matter who or what colour their skin is. I agree it’s upsetting, and it certainly doesn’t help the broader discussion. But that is part and parcel of the variety in human nature.

Well, you just made me aware of them, so there’s that. I’ve read a few good stories in amongst everything else, but people seem to fixate on the bad news and share that around, so it kind of gets amplified.

1 Like

Actually Bernie Sanders said “all lives matter” and he got some very negative responses. Also I don’t remember white supremacist saying “all lives matter” since they believe only white lives matter, I believe the saying “white lives matter” was actually what white supremacist are saying. Besides, it had nothing to do with white supremacist since I’m black and they knew who I was. They got angry because I turned down their “You’re either with us, or against us!” proposal. I don’t deal in absolute nor with people who do, that’s why I said no.

Very true, it is also important to point out those in said groups that are violent and dangerous and not support and turn a blind eye of said group out of pure political correctness. The police have their violent and abusive officers, but they also have much much more selfless honest officers that are right now suffering and dying in the streets at the hands of so called “protesters”.

Indeed it does, that’s what really worries me. The fact that the news media only wants to report stories that will cause chaos, hatred and destruction on the streets to further a political agenda.

6 Likes

Boy that seems like a ■■■■■■■ problem then doesn’t it?

3 Likes

Frankly I refuse to get involved with all the drama considering not one person has posted the actual facts that led up to this point. And far the the racism that has come I have seen it being used more often. So far as white lives matter, black lives matter, whatever. I do not care either obey the laws or face the penalties. There is no need for these peaceful protests or riots.

Far as the game is concerned yeah there is a few issues but I do not play as often as I would like considering a 70 hour work week.

1 Like

If you’re judging the label “unarmed…” instead of the situation, it sounds very bad. However, most situations where unarmed suspects are shot are situations where suspects physically attack police officers. If a police officer feels they are about to lose a fight, they are justified to use deadly force. Police officers are killed with their own guns every year. The suspect, in most situations, determines the level of force used on them based on the level of their resistance.

5 Likes

Sure the “not all…” argument can be made for anything. But just one is too many in my opinion. Just one violent protester, just one racist/violent cop. That’s all it takes for it to be a problem.

The bigger problem is the systemic issues that allows for these things to exist in the first place. I truly hope these protests bring about some of the change that is needed. Right now police are trained to fear everyone who isn’t a cop and they are mostly trained for combat. To act instead of react. That and the police unions are forced to protect the bad cops as well as the good ones.

There’s a show called Patriot Act on Netflix, they did an episode last year where Hasan goes into these core problems with the police departments and how they are trained and protected and that is horribly wrong. Granted it’s just one point of view into the systems that need to be fixed. It only take a cursory bit of research to verify these things.

Nothing is going to get any better for anyone until those systems are changed. And honestly it’s not so much racism at the heart of the root cause, it’s how police are taught to see the general public as an enemy. Particularly lower class citizens.

3 Likes

I NEVER saw the public as my enemy. I was not trained that way in the academy nor by my department. I, and most of my partners, truly signed up to serve our community. We wanted to go out and do good every day. People dial 911 when they need help and we responded.

I do believe, however, that there was animosity in some communities. I worked in poor black neighborhoods and neighborhoods with a lot of illegal aliens. Some in the black community thought I was there to do them harm; this was not true. Some in the Hispanic community thought I was looking to deport everyone; not true. I simply wanted to make the community better.

When I drove into these neighborhoods, I could feel the animosity. Hard stares, people avoiding me, little kids flipping me off, it was obvious that I was not wanted in the neighborhood. Some hated me, some feared me, and some wanted me there. But the ones that wanted me there were not sending their message as loudly as the ones that didn’t.

When I drove into these neighborhoods, my demeanor changed. I became more defensive. My guard was up. I was in unfriendly territory.

So what happens when I contact a black person in this unfriendly neighborhood? I’m on guard, my defenses are up. The black person might be afraid; afraid that this white cop has come to hurt him. His adrenaline starts pumping. I see that he is nervous, why? Has he done something wrong? Is he about to run? Is he going to fight me? My adrenaline starts pumping. Will this situation escalate, turn into a violent confrontation?

My problem, back then, is that I didn’t understand the mindset of the black person I was engaging. His problem was that he had been conditioned to fear police. The only reasonable solution I can come up with is better training for police and more community outreach.

6 Likes