I gotta admit something... I really don't like BALEX

I appreciate the discussion of the Borderlands writers, but I feel it may be a tad off topic as the initial discussion was meant to be about one’s personal feelings on BALEX, his personality, and if you enjoy him or not.

I feel as though we may have strayed a tad too far from that train of thought.

2 Likes

He isn’t the writer, I believe the head writer is sam

I didn’t say he was the writer

1 Like

I would very much appreciate it if we could stay on topic and not bring this discussion further away from said topic by attempting to argue privilege, the patriarchy, and the difference between male and female power dynamics in male dominated societies.

So did you flag the other guy for going off course? Seems off topic also.

Let’s NOT get into a discussion of who flagged who for what reason - that really WOULD be inappropriate, and probably end the thread.

I would also recommend folks review the FORUM RULES if they haven’t read them yet.

2 Likes

If you have issues with flags, pm a moderator, do not derail the topic.

2 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Bad Posts (for individual posts not topics)

Wow. You are taking the writing, way, way too seriously. He’s just supposed to be vulgar, sarcastic and rude for the sake of humor. You’re way over analyzing.

1 Like

Wait there was some kind of story to Battleborne??? :slight_smile:

Welcome to Borderlands, innuendos and insults are the basis of most of the writing.

Nah Balex is awesome IMO. A more than worthy addition to the canon of Borderlands characters. :slight_smile:

(Side note: I don’t know where people are getting the idea that past BL installments had better writing. They’re all full of plot holes and inconsistencies, in some cases the narrative seemingly shoehorned in around level objectives (case in point: the whole plot thread about getting a software upgrade for Claptrap to bypass the deathwall in Thousand Cuts in BL2… it’s full of plot holes and general WTF-ness heh. There’s been more than a few threads here about the questionable writing in BL/BL2/TPS over the years.)

How about our Badass vault hunters getting stopped in their quest to save pandora because a ladder fell over

It kind of reminds me of the state star wars is in. “They don’t follow the rules of physics” when star wars never did. The og star wars was full a messes, luke getting out of a trash compactor with totally clean and dry clothes etc…

2 Likes

I doubt many people think BL2 will win any awards, but Handsome Jack’s writing was absolutely amazing and there were a lot of 1 liners that to this day I still laugh by butt off when I play it and that is after I have completed it dozens of times over.

BL3 literally had a single handful of moments where I was laughing.

1 Like

Oh yeah, topping Jack is a nearly impossible task. Total agreement there. Dameon Clarke deserves a lot of the credit though, through his delivery and random ad-libs.

1 Like

There in lies the rub, when you have such a breakout villain that becomes so iconic and you kill him off. Where do we go now??? you would have to be writing superstars or the luckiest people in the world to come close again.

The new villains are ok I guess. but I am sure very few people will put them at Jacks level of fun and impact.

So even though the base kind of story writing has not changed as you say quite rightly buddy, unfortunately the quality of the characters they are writing for is certainly not the same.

Yeah I said before BL3 came out that Gearbox was screwed when it came to a villain to compare to Jack, there was no way they were going to top him.

The problem is they went from absolute top tier best ever villain (IMHO), to bottom of the barrel, not even remotely decent, current villains.

Not sure if they could have done worse if they had tried.

1 Like

Aside from BAR (which i could simply turn off) and a few skills that either didn’t scale well or didn’t work, BL2 was near perfect imo. BL3 falls short in nearly every category. BUT the game play is outstanding. And a few of the QoL changes are outstanding. I’ve just come to accept the fact this game doesn’t exactly feel like Borderlands to me in a lot of ways. But it is still fun and there is still a lot to come.

I can easily look past the poor writing. Not why i’m here. BL2 story/writing (aside from a couple DLC’s) was just a great bonus for me. Game play is the star. And it’s wonderful in BL3. And Balex being a big meanie is near the bottom of the list of problems with this game. Not on my list actually.

This is my feeling as far as story. Story is lousy but they could do away with all the chatting cut scenes so I can move on quicker rather then waiting on the bridge for lillith and calypso twins to finish talking…

Supposedly they are looking into that as a lot of people requested the option to skip. That option was there in Borderlands GOTY so i would be expecting it in the near future tbh