I would like advice for a Jakobs Pistol build

Took another look at charris’ thread, and again, I apologize to him.

Charris, I don’t like Short Fused because I generally operate at Pistol range, not Shotgun range. Most of the time, I am only getting 1 extra damage from Short Fused, and to me, using a skill point for 1 extra damage per shot is not a good tradeoff.

That here is also a core point of skill selection. Debating the merits of one skill over another can only take us so far. I like short fused, because I love using cryo debuff and I also like to play point blank range with my shotties, but if you are not getting anything out of it because of the way you play, then only you can tell if it’s worth it in your case.

Skill doesn’t suit your playstyle? Don’t take it.
Same as all other suggestions: look at them through the lenses of your playstyle, and decide for yourself which to listen to. :smile:

…Pickpocket is still poop though :stuck_out_tongue:

What’s really killing me is the fact that I only have a single point to play with. If I had more, I could put a few in Faster than You, for example, to counter the fact that the Luck Cannon’ DPS is more limited by it’s reload speed than other Jakobs pistols. For just a single point, though, my choices are Short Fused and not-Pickpocket.

Put that last point into wanted then, maybe it will do more for you than short fused.

Sometimes I put a single point into unchained, just to have a “timer” on the screen :stuck_out_tongue: Since it can only gain one stack per second, it’s a pretty good estimate of how long it took you to kill something from the first shot.

Unfortunately, it has to stay in the Fan the Hammer tree, or I can’t pick up Hell’s Comin with Me or One for Each of Ya.

I also want some advices about Jakobs weaponry in general, may I use this thread?
Im thinking about a purple Rustler COM. Its not commom, I know it, but I like to pick up Scavs with Sniper Rifles and to use Gatling Guns for sustained combats so the card come in hand to me.

This is the base of my build: http://thepresequel.com/Nisha/4101410100000000000000015510015051/nimrustler,auto

Im limited to lv 50, so I need some light where to spent my remaining points. I dont need more points in Riflewoman, so what do I pick?
I thought about going to Rarin’ to Go for the extra damage, but Bottled Courage fit right in my playstyle. I only use Showdown as a burst damage when surrounded by a lot of things, swaping for a good Jakobs Pistol.

I used to run with a rustler’s COM in one of my builds (Proof) , and believe me, it’s not as good as it may sound…

The bonus are all over the place and don’t complement each other very well. You get bonus to 2 skills that only work from the hip, an accuracy bonus for one of the most accurate gun type in the game, and a damage bonus to Sniper rifles… but who uses a sniper rifle from the hip ?

Compared to, for example, the Sheriff COM (IMO, the best non-legendary all-around COM for Nisha) you get about the same damage bonus to your sniper rifle…but you also get it for your AR…and your pistol… and any other gun you might want :stuck_out_tongue:

You would lose the damage bonus from Quick shot (as the fire rate bonus is lost on Jakobs guns anyway), but gain a good serving of crit bonus from BFG, health regen, extra health and extra shield…
in the case of your AR, it’s a net gain on nearly all aspects, and in the case of your sniper, it’s a push.

Now, i’m not saying you should move to the Sheriff COM: I only use it as a point of comparison to illustrate why I think the Rustler COM is not so great.

I could see how to make it useful, but that would require a playstyle that revolves around hip-firing sniper rifles…I tried, it’s lackluster.

Good choices for a Jakobs-focused build are the six-shooter (obviously), Sheriff and Crapshooter. Six-shooter might not be that good since you don’t spec into 2 of the 3 skills it boosts, but it’s still better than Rustler’s IMO.

Crapshooter, same deal: you don’t have points into 2 of the 3 skills involved, but a single point into trick shot would turn this build around :smile:

Best pick for what seems to be your playstyle would be Sheriff IMO. It does everything right, boosts your damage in an uncomplicated way and shores up your survivability like no other COM around.

As for the build advice, I would say first, get rid of Unchained…it does NOTHING for you, even if your COM boosts it.

I would never be caught dead without at least a few points in trick shot. Sometimes when you’re in FFYL and no enemies can be reached because they’re behind cover, it feels great to be able to just unload on the ceiling to get a second wind. :stuck_out_tongue:

FFOB is great, even if it doesn’t look like it., it’s always worth a point to me, unless it plays badly with Mag6 for your weapon… but that’s not the case here.

If you want to put your points outside RW, I would take Saddle up. Ruthless is wasted on you since you don’t use showdown much.

Bottled courage might be a great choice to spend the last points you have.

L&O has nothing further to offer you at this point IMO, inless you really spend those points to get to Rarin’ to go… but with a level 50 cap, you don,t have points to “waste” to reach it.

Personally, this is what I would do with my skill points: http://thepresequel.com/Nisha/4101410100005005000000005501014351/grisheriff,auto

1 Like

Thanks for the reply, Chuck!
To be honest with you, I spent one point into Unchained because I was thinking about a Diaub for sniper rifle instead of the Muckamuck and the Calipeen. Outside of it, I thought about a blue Rustler first. And I dont hipshot with the sniper, usually use it to pick up enemies before the heat come to me. Maybe I put this point into FFOB

About the hip-shoting skills, I like them because of the Gatling Gun mostly. It feels better to handle it with the accuracy and recoil reduction bonus. Also, Im problably going to add a shotgun in the main loadout, so maybe I can take even more advantage of them. They make easy to aim for crits in FFYL also, this is why I dont like Trick Shot this much. I always try to aim! Haha

I thought about picking Saddle Up, Bottled Courage and Short Fused with the remaining point because of my way of using Showdown. I tend to only use it when Im badly outnumbered, so I throw some cryo grenades as back up (Vladof AoE or transfusions) and start to fan the hammer with a Pistol. Sometimes I use an automatic, not going to lie, but I thought that the bonus damage from Short Fused on frozen targets could come in hand.
If I pick Rarin’ to Go and Jurisdiction my playstyle upon Showdown would be changed a lot I guess.

Thanks for the reply Chuck!
I guess you are right, the Sheriff COM bonus are better for my Jakobs weaponry rather than only the sniper rifle. But the skills are just… meh. Unchained makes no difference at all, Bona Fide Grit is a good skill, but Law is kinda redundant. I already use a high capacity shield, be it Turtle or Adaptive.

Also, I thought about the Six-Shooter COM. Crack Shot and Mag6 complement each other very well when using sniper rifles or pistols, but not so much when I’m using a Gatling Gun. And I use it a lot. If I remember correctly, it has around 16 bullets in the mag without FfoB. Maybe the 3x ammo consuption makes up for it, so the time I dont have the bonus is little.
Also, I would have to leave Hot Lead, a more consistent bonus. And take Mag6 instead of Bottled Courage. Dont know if the pros are better than the cons.
Maybe the Six-Shooter is for Jakobs shotguns only, and I want a “Jakobs” of all trades setup.

As for the skills, what the Sheriff does right in that department is that ANYONE benefits from Law and BFGrit, and almost everyone benefits from Unchained (except jakobs users of course) It’s a generalist COM. If you plan on using ONLY Jakobs guns, the Six-shooter is better, but if you plan to use 1 or 2 elemental guns, then the Sheriff is ALWAYS good, no matter what you do, no matter what you have equipped.

About law.
That you have already a big shield capacity is great! Law provides a percentage-based bonus: the more you already have, the more it gives you. With a turtle shield, the Sheriff has perfect synergy: it boosts shield on a percentage base, and health (which tortle shields lower) too, but on a flat rate this time. the end result is way more health/shield than you would have otherwise.

I was thinking you might give a little different approach to your build by picking up a Blue Rarity High-rollin Crapshooter class mod and making your build like this. http://thepresequel.com/Nisha/0100000000005050150050105501015151/higcrapshooter,auto
The massive damage gain will help to mow enemies down a lot faster than with the Sheriff com. I know it doesn’t seem like it would be better as the sheriff mod boosts all things your build has going for it, but the points gained in tombstone will greatly increase your damage output very noticably over your current setup. Also the points gained in trick shot allow for getting rid of snap shot and would help you get out of FFYL easier like chuck was suggesting. This alternate build would work well with all jakobs weapons and also allow you to dual weild pistols. Its worth a shot at experimenting with it and see if it works with your play style. Maybe it will surprise you , you never know unless you try right :smile:

Actually, as much as I like your build, I wouldn’t recommend it right away (I think Gab is around level 30 or something )

It requires a bit of gear synergy to really shine, which is not the best thing when leveling.

I recommend a Sheriff partly because I think it’s one of the best all-around COMs for Nisha, but also (especially in the case of leveling characters) because it’s easy to find gear for and easy to play. It ensures survivability through increased health, increased shield, health regen. And has a flat predictable damage bonus. Sometimes you can be 2-3 levels without finding a good gun, so this damage bonus can make it last longer. While tombstone as a primary source of DPS is much more potent…but it also requires you to have an easy time to get that first kill to get the ball rolling, which is not always easy with leveling gear.

That said, if he happens to have the suitable gear, then yes, a Tombstone-focused build is totally efficient at all levels. It’s actually MUCH stronger than a Sheriff build for mobbing. Beware of FFYL and bosses though (especially bosses with few minions).

In all cases, those are MUCH better choices than a Rustler COM :stuck_out_tongue:

Ya I’m not sure how it would do in the lower levels the build just looks good to me on paper and in theory, survivability could be an issue if the kills aren’t fast enough, i’ll make a lvl 50 on UVHM and test both builds out. I’ll get back to you guys here in a few when i do, i’ll test out the level 50 version of my build i posted here as well as what was recommended by Chuck and the weapons your using etc,. Will also test some kind of level 30 version and see how it fares on tvhm i guess.

Was hoping you could tell us which weapons your currently using, the names of them rather, your wanting to make a “jakobs” of all trades setup, so in order to direct you properly it would be most helpful to know, also what level are you currently? that will help in sorting out your build and lastly, what console are you on, maybe if you needed items i could help with that, i have access to xbox 360, xbox one, and pc. If you can get your own items of whatever ones then probably best to go with crapshooter, if you are unable to farm or grind for the items you need for that class mod its probably best to go with six-shooter, in the end you should be aiming to go with the crapshooter, as its the clear winner for a jakobs build in terms of dps.

I did try out the Crapshooter at lvl 50 UVHM as well as the six-shooter.

Did a few runs on Eclipse and his lovely giant hp pool.

Crapshooter with Doc’s Flayer vs Eclipse took 1 minute to down him, tiny bit of ammo left over on an accurate run.
took another 3 minutes to finish the fight against EOS with a Two-Fer Luck Cannon. Total fight time was 4 minutes.

Six-Shooter with Doc’s Flayer took 45 seconds to run out of ammo against Eclipse, got him down to 3/4 of his HP, finished the fight with the Two-Fer Luck Cannon, and the total fight time was 2 minutes. EOS took another 3 minutes and 40 seconds to finish, total fight time was 5 minutes and 40 seconds.

I didn’t do a sheriff mod because it only has dps boost from bfg for jakobs and it will be more or less the same as the six-shooter, probably less in dps terms.

Once I know your current level / gear situation If you want any help still I’ll be happy to point you in a good direction. I will even test out different builds for you if your curious what will be better for dps, or what works best with the weapons you want to use etc.

gabrielcruz, at the risk of sounding rude, would you mind creating a new thread for any future replies to chuck or charris? I don’t have any problems with you asking for or getting advice, but I get an email every time someone responds to this thread, and it’s getting somewhat annoying to keep getting drawn back here when no one is actually talking to me.

LOL Sorry, I had actually completely forgotten how this thread started :stuck_out_tongue:

I get it, and normally, I wouldn’t mind in the slightest. The only reason I say anything is because of the emails. If it weren’t for that, I’d let you guys hijack the thread all you want.

Ya me too, really sorry about that. In regards to your build. I have to say having FnY and rarin for the jakobs build really increased dps much more than I thought possible, and I know things didn’t really start off well for us and I am really sorry about that. The build I use is solid for jakobs guns and its at least worth your time to try it out when your able to. I would only suggest a minor change to my build to suit your needs and play style.

Moving the one point from short fused to bottled courage gives a tiny bit of cussion in certain circumstances where your taking fire damage or something and it helps to have that as a fall back to negate going into FFYL, as you’ve already said you don’t need short fused so that would be the only decent place to stick it. At the very least its worth your time to at least give it a try, just remember to use the blue +6 tombstone +5 trick shot crapshooter.

Also again. Sorry for the thread hijack. Really wasn’t intentional.

Sorry for all the trouble, man. For real!