Ideal DLC size/mission flow

I like the headhunter DLCs because of how self-contained they are, and their minimal impact on any given playthrough’s flow. Even still, their main problem is that they are all too similar in their mission flow. The concept of a single map is a keeper, but there’s no reason that they all have to be just 1 main quest, then only one side quest only after you’ve completed the main quest. I think it would have been cool to see headhunters with mission flow more similar to Lynchwood, or the Dahl Headlands from borderlands 1. One to three main quests, but various side missions you could knock out with minimal effort along the way. I think that would be the sweet spot for DLC size/mission quantity in borderlands.

Sorry for the disjointed post, it just seems like there’s an unspoken formula, some borderlands map golden ratio that I can’t quite put my finger on.

I think time and manpower play into how much time and effort gets dedicated to that sort of DLC. With the Headhunter Packs, there was more than one side quest in most. They weren’t long quests, but in each there were two or three or so other quests/ activities you could do.

The weird quirk was that in Bloody Harvest one of the Quests was hidden with secret objective. Wattle Gobbler’s Grandma Flexington quest is something I don’t think most people had the patience for, and there were two missions in that quest line. Mercenary day did skimp on the additional quests & activities beside a repeatable loot farm, but given the theme, looting as a focus seems appropriate.

The Wedding Day Massacre had the most things to do, with the Leprechaun, the Threshers, and Innuendo Bot’s quest and Son of Crawmerax had the Sparky Mission line, the treasure syringe, and the Raid.

I like how Dahl Headlands is a fun map where you can flow through multiple missions at once, after they’re all active. It makes it feel like a truly open world, because we’re not locked into much a linear flow of missions once the bounty board is up and running. The Dust & Lynchwood have that vibe, and so does Triton Flats in TPS.

To be fair, most of the main areas in Borderlands (1) are set up that way if you grab as many available missions as possible as you progress. It was the DLCs for Borderlands (1) that really pushed the linear mission flow of doing a story mission, turning it in, and unlocking side quests for that area. That has always been pet peeve of mine. Borderlands 2 does it in fits and starts, with there being some missions you can access while completing a main mission for an area or the story, and others being inaccessible.

How much of that is by design due to the need for a character to be on level for the next story mission in NVHM and TVHM rather than the game scaling with your character in UVHM? Is it just a matter of missions having to be rationed?

5 Likes

Headhunters really aren’t traditional DLCs. They’re designed as silly fun boss fights with a bit of map, quest and mobbing to gain access to them. It’s in the name I guess.

So to me it never seemed lazy or boxed in that they had the same format, that once the boss was defeated there wasn’t much more to do than kill it again. I liked the fact they had a consistency while still being each unique and that they were distinct from any other add-on content to the game. I certainly didn’t consider SoC as a mini-Scarlett (for example), and thought it and the other HHs stood brightly apart in the same way that Digi Peak does.

If anything, the post-boss side quests seemed a bit deflating though. Except maybe TK’s since that kind of tied in with Braaaaaaaaaaains.

I suppose the OP has more to do with general map flow than HH specifically but just thought to point out that the HHs don’t really apply to the same things that Caustic Canverns, Lynchwood, Dahl Headlands and Middle of Nowhere have.

3 Likes

in TPS i like the duration of the claptastic voyage. What i do is reset missions, travel to deck 13 1/2 and start claptastic voyage, switch my game to public and anyone who joins is a plus. it will took us 2-3 hours to complete the main story of the dlc.

then repeat the following day.

2 Likes

If anything I would say the Ava Murder Mysteries are laid out similarly to the Head Hunter packs. One circular map you transverse to get the story of the Mission, followed by a boss fight to conclude the circuit. They don’t have the secondary mission, but they culminate with a raid level boss fight. SoC’s was the final boss and accessible as a raid level fight, and I would argue that The Seer fight is on par with the Takedown raids.

It’s sad that TPS stopped getting support and as a result the flow of DLC was greatly reduced. That said I would consider the HeadHunters and Murder Mysteries are equivalents in terms of content/ game play story wise. Of all the maps in BL3 the Blastplains in Bounty Of Blood is one of the densest when it comes number of missions and quests being available to run around doing from the go, and there only more as the game continues. Floodmoor Basin may be close.

2 Likes

Now that I think about it, wedding day massacre has part of that Dahl headlands feel. Running around collecting the bait gives you a similar sense of content fullness and completion to the side quests in the Dahl headlands. The only difference being the fishing quest is an unmarked, but repeatable quest. Thanks for the insight, that explains why it’s considered one of the better dlc.

They were also designed with the memory limits of the older consoles in mind, particularly the PS3. By the time the HH packs released, BL2 was already pushing the memory limits. I remember JoeK mentioning this in a post at the time.

4 Likes

I’ve always found the Headhunters to be the “easiest” way to gain a level or two when you need that for the main story.
And of course loot for cash.
The Marcus DLC (minus the side quest) takes me 7-8 minutes to complete (and that’s with killing all the enemies) and usually gains me one level in N/TVHM.
Immediately do the Snowman again (odd glitch-ish behavior) and gain 1/2.
Loot train gives enough cash to cover anything you might need in the main story.
Moxxie’s I usually avoid. Bloody harvest is good, but there are some surprisingly tough enemies. Wattle is just dumb…

3 Likes