If it's not broke don't try to fix it

I never really ran into bad wait times, but I would guess that problem comes from the game selling badly and not having a huge player count to draw people from. It wasn’t necessarily bad net code or a bad system. My wait time was always less than a minute. I’m not sure how the team would be unbalanced - running into really good players and sometimes really bad players is just a part of playing online. The annoying combos like Miko and (insert tank) would be annoying, but that goes back to the game always should’ve had anti-healing gear.

Right, but a lot of people were (and maybe are still) confused about exactly what that meant. Many thought that it changed Ambra’s level 5 play, but Extinction Event never had a slow until you took the World’s End helix augment at level 10 (that also increases burn time).

I just wanted to clarify that.

And regarding “focusing on things that matter”: There are different teams that work on different aspects of the game. The people working on maps and game-modes are not the same people working on character balance and matchmaking. (more or less). So, developers 1,2,4, and 8 are “focusing” on the things you’ve said, while Developers 3,5,6 are finishing up the updates we’ve received/about to receive.

[quote=“Zarnias, post:22, topic:1539372, full:true”]

[quote=“vincent4110, post:20, topic:1539372”]
Yeah, I said they took Ambra’s ult slow away, I didn’t say they changed anything else.
[/quote]And regarding “focusing on things that matter”: There are different teams that work on different aspects of the game. The people working on maps and game-modes are not the same people working on character balance and matchmaking. (more or less). So, developers 1,2,4, and 8 are “focusing” on the things you’ve said, while Developers 3,5,6 are finishing up the updates we’ve received/about to receive.
[/quote] I agree in theory, but it comes down to how a specific studio is broken down. It’s not like Gearbox is the world’s largest dev and it’s not like everyone there is working on Battleborn DLC. I don’t know if it’s 10 people or 23, but I would think their focus now would be making a hit game (the next Borderlands?) since this was a loss for them. The point being it still takes man-hours to change matchmaking, to weaken Ambra (and other characters), to keep changing Echelon so people like it, to deal with Sony & MS certification, and so on. Some of the game’s problems are way more important than other ones. Maybe matchmaking was a mess on PC or PS4, but I had no problems on X1.

I personally prefer echelon. It was more balanced IMO since heal stations were mid like in CTT and that there’s so many more hallways and stuff. It allows more fun movement than overgrowth which is just more like a straight line with 2 doors. I also love how there are more highs and lows in ech too.

1 Like

People have different priorities.

This Forum does not necessarily represent the opinions of the wider Battleborn community. It represents a vocal minority.

Most people who are happy with a thing, don’t write gushing Forum posts about it, thus their voices are silent.

Matchmaking was “broken” for tons of people, not me, because I am on PS4 and have been pretty lucky. No version of matchmaking has ever truly been broken for me. Just because this is true, doesn’t mean they shouldn’t make changes to improve the experience for people less lucky than me.

The Devs focus on the things that they believe:

1. Will make people happy (or lead towards solutions down the line that will make people happy).
  2. They can complete within time and budget constraints.
  3. Fit the data that they are seeing on their end.

This is all to say the following: Things that matter are in the eye of the beholder, and it’s probably a bad bet to assume that any of us knows “what matters” to the wider, often silent, community that plays this game.

5 Likes

I can’t speak for consoles, but as a PC player I’m hoping they revert this, and fast. I’m probably done with PvP if this nightmare doesn’t end quickly. Battleborn just went from my favorite game to unplayable. Overnight. I thought I was doing something wrong when I tried to queue for Incursion. It didn’t even occur to me that they would intentionally remove our choice of mode.

1 Like

This is a test. If it doesn’t work, they are open to changing it back. :slight_smile:

Keep hope and all that.

Wound is coming to 8 characters in the next big patch.

1 Like

You Wound me with your hurtful words Strafe.

Damnit Gearbox, why did you have to buff Strafe?!

1 Like

I trap more ppl in overgrowth than echelon and a map looking like a Riddick world is a compliment anyday from my PoV.

Put Ambra’s ulti behind people or try hide it, ofc people will evade once they notice a huge gem in front of them.

Marquis was an rxample, did not mean you.

1 Like

This is how i felt with the matchmaking fix 2 weeks ago. It needed to be changed.

1 Like

[quote=“douzkaya, post:30, topic:1539372, full:true”]
I trap more ppl in overgrowth than echelon and a map looking like a Riddick world is a compliment anyday from my PoV.

Put Ambra’s ulti behind people or try hide it, ofc people will evade once they notice a huge gem in front of them.

Marquis was an rxample, did not mean you.
[/quote] You may like Echelon, that’s perfectly fine, but from my experience 90% of people avoided it - and that was for a reason. The game came with 6 maps and only 4 of them were good IMO: Echelon and the way too purple meltdown map need some work. Also, if people like Echelon and want to play competitive that’s not an option, right? So sounds like they took a choice/option from you.

Ambra’s ult giving people multiple warnings it’s coming doesn’t really make any sense when no other character in the game has to do that. Even if someone is caught in the attack it’s not like it’s some great killing blow like a Mellka, Thorn, Benedict, or Marquis. Oscar Mike has a similar ult, and there’s no big floating diamond there. I’d be fine if they kept the audio warning, but the diamond is just silly.

What’s wrong with Chronicles of Riddick? Don’t you want to keep what you kill?

1 Like

My only beef is that if I wanted to play Capture, I’d sign up for it. Now I’m playing it way more than I want to. It’s the one mode I dislike and I’ve been forced to play it five times in a row now. Pretty annoying, honestly.

My suggestion would be to have people check boxes for the game types they want to play and search via that, kind of like Rocket League.

Well, you’re kind forgetting 50% of the game there kiddo.

1 Like

[quote=“Jordangold527, post:35, topic:1539372, full:true”]

Well, you’re kind forgetting 50% of the game there kiddo.
[/quote] This thread is obviously about the matchmaking in versus and that is all the content that’s in versus - I never said that was the entire package of the game. Besides, it’s not like the campaign was the selling point or very good anyway. I hope you don’t go around saying kiddo a lot - seems like that would be the same type of annoying person/a-hole who calls people honey or sweetheart, SMH.

Step out of the personal bubbles, guys. Its been all fine this far in. Lets not ruin that now.

I didn’t mean to offend you by calling you “kiddo”. It’s a term that can be used in a legitimately endearing way and that is how I tend to use it. I apologize.

Personally, I always saw the campaign as the selling point for this game due to the fact that it was the main thing its competitor (Overwatch) didn’t have. A story. And many people found the missions quite enjoyable and fun. This post was in the General Discussion tab and you made no reference to this being solely about PvP in the main post. All you did was comment on how the game was $60 for a couple maps which was highly inaccurate. I feel that you are seeing this game from a highly competitive PvP focused mindset which is not how plenty of people in this game’s community see it.
The game is about having fun, not “pawning noobs”. Part of making this a fun experience is balancing and attempting to hear out the community which GBX is trying to do at an insanely rapid pace. They’ve released a general idea of when content is going to be released and that’s plenty. And they haven’t “taken away out choice”. If anything, they’ve given us more.

Like I said before, a 2016 game shouldn’t have less options/choice than an old as dirt one like Halo 2. Games are already taking a step back, such as less content for $60 like this game, (more so) Overwatch, Evolve, and plenty of others. Compare their content to Gears of War 3 or older Tom Clancy games and you’ll see what I mean. I don’t want part of the regression of gaming to be we can’t choose the game mode we want in a multiplayer game. That should obviously be in every single game. I thought it was stupid as hell for Overwatch to not allow that and now that Battleborn is doing that in a different way - I still think it’s a stupid decision. Hopefully the people saying they’re just trying this out are right, because I see myself going back to BF4, Smite, Rocket League, and whatever else until the big games come out later this year.