I'm a bit disappointed

So I purchased the game a while ago and I see Alani in matches, she looks fun, I should unlock her.

Only to find out that I can’t get her until the 31st unless I buy her.

With real money.

I have the credits sitting right here, but Gearbox and 2k would rather allow people who spend additional money to get first crack at a character. Now I have nothing wrong with the dual payment methods, my concern is that people who pay money get an exclusive period to use whoever was just released against those of us who didn’t.

How exactly is this game balanced competitively again?

It’s only for 1 week. I’d be more concerned if it was a period of months.

8 Likes

The fact that it’s any timeframe at all just makes it feel like a cash grab. Most other games with character releases like this allow access to everyone when they come out (Whether you can afford them with the currency is your own problem though). Having a wall that sits there saying “You cannot play Alani unless you pay, but she can still be used against you in a match by those who did pay” is a bit disheartening.

I just expected better from Gearbox I guess.

Did you play the beta? Pre order? Buy digital deluxe? Do you feel people who did any of those shouldn’t be allowed to have a bonus?
You can’t buy Alani. You can but dde or season pass and it gives you early access. Blizzard did the same with Tracer in HotS. It encourages sales. It gives something nice to someone who paid more.

1 Like

How exactly is balance impacted at all that people who payed real money get access to a character a mere week earlier than those who don’t want to pay real money?

6 Likes

I have alani unlocked and I never use her. Lots of other characters to use and level.

4 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Incredibly Inappropriate Post by Fluppykins

So you’re telling me there’s no balance issues with having a hero locked off the roster for a week unless you pay money? No wonder my friends stopped playing this game.

Yeah, there isn’t. You’re welcome to explain how it does impact balance if you want. If you wish to make and insist on that claim, you’ll have to elaborate.

5 Likes

I just did in the top post. I bought this game for $60, and Gearbox is allowing those that paid even more to get exclusive use of a character in a competitive environment for a week. I have the credits to purchase her, but I’m incapable of doing so.

That sort of paywall has no place in a serious competitive game.

I still don’t see how all that you said has anything to do with character balance. Are you sure you’re using the correct term?

2 Likes

So you’re saying the people who paid more shouldn’t get what they paid for even if gearbox made it painfully obvious what the rewards for buying that version was?

4 Likes

You are WAAAAY off course thread-wise, if you’re trying to complain about “pay-walls”, especially when it is only a week. Game developers have been doing this for years; it’s not like it started with Battleborn. Perhaps this is the first time you’ve had to wait for timed exclusive content, but it’s not a Battleborn problem.

2 Likes

What bonus would you suggest then for people who paid more? Do you realize how generous it is that you can get her at all without the season pass or a real-money purchase these days? Or, heck, that the season pass, which grants these early unlocks along with other future DLC, is only $20? Season passes regularly cost $40-$50 anymore.

Waiting a week won’t kill you. If it will, buy the season pass. You’re getting her for free in the end, and then complaining that people who paid more are getting more. I’m all for equality, but that’s just not how economics works.

EDIT: Whoops hit reply to wrong post. @Slade I agree with you .

2 Likes

[quote=“kennysded, post:4, topic:1483935, full:true”]
Did you play the beta? Pre order? Buy digital deluxe? Do you feel people who did any of those shouldn’t be allowed to have a bonus?
You can’t buy Alani. You can but dde or season pass and it gives you early access. Blizzard did the same with Tracer in HotS. It encourages sales. It gives something nice to someone who paid more.
[/quote] Actually, the beta part is pretty stupid since PS4 people get her automatically while people who don’t have a season pass on PC and X1 have to wait a week and spend a crazy amount of credits (47K) to play as her. However, I don’t see anything wrong with season pass people getting her just a week early. Really, this game is going to struggle so much, more so than Titanfall and perhaps even worse than Evolve (thanks to marketing, its quality, and Overwatch) that they should just make the season pass free or very cheap to keep their limited current player base happy.

Would it be possible to get an answer why do you think it negatively affects character balance? If anything, I feel it’s affecting the balance in a positive way, giving devs a headstart with data before the character goes live to the wider audience.

Please flag the trolls instead of feeding them.

3 Likes

I understand your sorrow, but they aren’t making you buy any character, in fact, if you plan on buying this game and already have 47500 credits, I’m sure you are someone who would end up buying all the dlc anyways. If you want to buy the more game content, you get the free stuff for free early and without credit payment. Simple as that

No, because I never once said “character balance”, I said “competitive balance”. Competition doesn’t really work if two entities don’t have a level playing field, though I’d imagine the side with the advantage would say otherwise.

A good reason. A better question, however, is why is there no test realm to get this data from? Releasing a character onto live with no data is a terrible idea.

Haha, reading through this I was “Well I’m confused on what our dispute are here.”

Consider me backing you up! :smiley:

1 Like