I'm surprised more people aren't talking about the music

With every Boderlands game we’ve gotten songs to accompany our newfound excitement. The devs take their time selecting songs that reflect the game’s story, conflicts, etc.

Ain’t no Rest for the Wicked established our roles, not as heroes, but simply as individuals looking for gain. Short Change Hero did something similar by addressing the conflict between the characters and Jack through (what I assume) is Jacks side of the conflict. Black Dragon was… less descriptive, but fun and kinda addressed the job was for kicks or cash.

With all that considered, what does Can’t Hold me Down say about BL3? Granted, it’s not the song that plays over the opening credits of the game (so far as we know), but it can still probably give us a great deal of insight into the story and conflict. Thoughts?

7 Likes

What I think it means: it’s not GBX without a dub step drop in there somewhere so reminding us who’s making this… Sax solos are awesome… Can’t keep the originals of the hybrid shooter/rpg genre down for long

4 Likes

Aww. Don’t be such a sourpuss. We all love you.

4 Likes

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Bad Posts (for individual posts not topics)

Let’s keep it to actual discussion rather than getting hung up over individual musical tastes, OK?

4 Likes

I generally like BL’s music, have it all on my music player, but it doesn’t affect my gameplay much because I usually play with the sound off.
Most games overload me with sound, so I turn it off. Subtitles are enough for the story.
I know it can help quite a bit (like in identifying what types of enemies have just spawned) but there’s not enough granularity in sound settings to work for me.
I want to be able to suppress all gun/grenade/damage noise while still keeping enemy voice volume up, and that’s what I can’t do since enemy voice & gun is under Sound effects.
In the end I may get surprised once per session because I didn’t hear something emerge, but suppressing the overwhelming cacophony of DOT sound, gun sound, bullet sound, grenade sound, vehicle sound, is worth it to me.
–RoA

2 Likes

Good topic!

First, it wouldn’t be Borderlands these days without some wubwubwub. Full acknowledgement that Claptrap is love.

Now consider that saxophones in rock and rock-like music, are a thing of the past mostly. Sax solo in a rock-y song, and with Brick playing it in the video? Throwback. That’s what it says to me. I remember so.ething a few years back about BL3 was gonna take a darker approach, more like BL1 than like BL2/TPS. I think the choice of song could be confirmation of as much. Maybe.

4 Likes

Sound effects and voice lines are under just “Sound Effects” on console? On PC, BL2 and TPS have those separated into two different sliders.

1 Like

There’s separate sliders for music, sound effects, and dialogue. However, some of the background NPC chatter seems to fall under sound effects? That probably explains why it plays simultaneously to actual mission dialogue (which is confusing as all get out and really irritating.) At least in BL2 & TPS you don’t have a series of “There are new missions available for you at the ---- bounty board!” drowning out echo logs and other stuff!

3 Likes

Yup.

1 Like

I have always enjoyed Borderlands music and this song seems to really fit.

Though nothing will beat BL1 with Ain’t No Rest for the Wicked.

I wonder is Jesper Kyd will be involved again.

2 Likes

I’ve heard he is, he tweeted about it.

3 Likes

That is good. I like some of the ambient music he made for BL2.

2 Likes

the music has always been an epic part of the series. I always thank Borderlands for getting me into Cage the Elephant. And looks like BL3 will have the music by Jesper Kyd which i know has worked on Assassins Creed games too. It wont disappoint

1 Like

As long as Jesper Kyd is doing the soundtrack, I am satisfied before even hearing it because I know it will be rad.

4 Likes