Impossible Captain Traunt

Anyone gonna talk about how captain traunt is impossible to kill. I’ve tried 3 times and there is not enough ammo nearby to try again. They should really put more than one vending machine on this entire planet

I found him to be a challenge, but it is possible :+1:

I’ve killed him without dying (the same other bosses so far), so it’s not impossible. Normal mode, melee Amara.

2 Likes

I agree regarding vending machines, but Traunt is a long fight but not ultra difficult. A few tricks:

• Use the corridors. He has a flaming ball that orbits through them, but it’s easy to dodge. There are also generally adds in here if you get KO’d.

• If you can get a Tediore gun that leaves behind a mobile gun, you can easily cheese him using said corridors.

1 Like

Trust me, he’s not the last boss that will frustrate you! Just be patient and try to learn his attacks so you can respond accordingly. One thing I didn’t know until a few tries in is that you can actually shoot and destroy that giant ball he sends around the perimeter of the stage. Also, for the love of God use your movement because sliding and mantling are essential skills for almost every enemy encounter. You can do this!

5 Likes

This guy was a pain in the ass, almost as much as Killavolt. I died several times before dropping his ass. I tried different weapons to see which worked best in the fight against him. At one point, I had him on very low health, but a lucky status effect dropped me before I could finish him off. Frustrating as hell.

In addition to what others have said here, my advice would be to switch up weapons depending on what you are aiming at. Early on, I use a strong shock weapon to get his shield as fast as possible. Whenever I see those elemental balls floating above the arena, I shoot them down if possible. I have been most successful with a Jacobs shotgun in taking out those orbs. For dealing most of the damage on Traunt, I used a Torgue assault rifle in sticky mode.

I don’t know if this helps. I played Moze, so I jump into Iron Bear whenever I’m about to die. That gives me a “reset button” while able to throw down damage. When I jump out, my shields and health are usually up and I do the run, jump, climb, and slide bit all over again.

3 Likes

This is …maybe off Topic

Im just not the only one to believe how amazing are the level dessign, each planet are completly different in the style of looking but in the gameplay as well…go job gearbox but you forget something…

You need cash to buy ammo upgrade in this one…and you put only vending machine at the beggining of the map, close to the fast travel…ok you can fastravel from anywhere but to return where a was, i must park a vehicle near, if i can ( yes you can fastavel to a vehicle :+1::+1: )but when you are in a boss area…with no vehicle allowed…what do you do …backtrap on foot ? Leaving on the ground a part of the loot boss ? Marcus dont seeling or buying weapon or any planet other than Pandora ?
In previous Boderlands you put always vending machine before boss fight…why do you forget that basic looting gameplay feature ? No sens

3 Likes

I just took care of him at lvl 15 ( he was 18). No deaths, two FFYLs (not bragging, just giving details).

Ammo- I had purchased lvl 1 SDUs from Marcus, so had some extra carry. And I was completely full of all ammo when I got to him, there are many chests.
First, the minions stop spawning quite as quickly after you’ve killed a number of them. You still want them around for 2nd winds. I used a Hyperion power play SMG for the minions.
Then, as others have said, use the side corridors/platforms. Plenty of protection from the fire orbs.
RUN when a fire orb gets close, you don’t want the residual DOT to get you.

Shock pistol (I had picked up a Maliwan Melter) took out the sheild. Not fast, but enough.

Then to finish him I had a Atlas N-system that I had picked up on Promethia. I found that being in the side corridor somewhat near the stairs brought him close (he won’t go up the stairs) and blocked the orbs. From then on it was spraying with the Atlas until he died.
Took a while, longer than many fights early on. And I didn’t get any particularly good drops. But good XP. Did not run out of ammo.

Ohg, this was with Amara, her action skill (I’m still using phase grip) didn’t have much noticeable effect.
–RoA

1 Like

I died a few times too. What I finally ended up doing was pulling out a decent Atlas Assault Rifle and ran like hell when my Action skills weren’t active, sticking to corridoors and popping atlas goons when I needed health. Patience is key here.

2 Likes

I think you can also second wind by shooting and destroying his elemental balls.
Saved my bacon when I fought him

2 Likes

I died once fighting him. Thankfully I’m playing Shield of Retribution Moze which makes him much easier since you have so much shield. I agree that they need to put more vending machines on some of these maps like Athenas and Atlas HQ, it is ridiculous how far you need to backtrack to sell stuff, and if you run out of ammo you’re really screwed.

2 Likes

I believe he has elemental resistances…but the tank on his right( your left) shoulder is a crit zone…shoot it with everything you have asap.

1 Like

He’s easier than Killavolt

3 Likes

Yeah, those two are the only bosses to kill me so far, each killed me once. I feel like Killavolt would have killed me several times if I hadn’t been playing Shield of Retribution Moze though. Shield of Retribution increases shield capacity and gives you a lot of shock resistance, which makes the fight much easier. I’m not looking forward to doing that fight with some of the other characters.

2 Likes

If you think traunt is impossible you might as well quit playing honestly, or go down to easy mode, he’s “difficult” if you’re unprepared, that’s it

1 Like

Hey, I just wanna softly point out to the comments, the problem here appears to be “No Way To Reload If I Die”. Which is a rather fair complaint. If you main a certain type of weapon and running out of ammo, it sucks. And there’s not really a good way to restock on this fight or…the next boss, either.

1 Like

No offense but I hope these “too difficult” comments aren’t coming from Borderlands vets. Even without choosing Easy mode or whatever it’s called, YOU DECIDE THE DIFFICULTY in this game. If you want a challenge, fight the boss when he is 3+ levels above you (which I’m guessing is what you did). You want it to be more manageable or even easy? Level yourself up. All there is to it. Don’t rush through the story. Play the side missions, complete the challenges, stay on par with the level of the story missions or even above.

6 Likes

This. I would add that focusing on manufacturer loyalties is key too.

1 Like

At that point i had an anointed torgue shotgun that consumes no ammo for a few seconds after action skill has ended. So that fight was over in like 30 seconds.

On mayhem 3, he was hardcore to the point were i felt the need to switch to mayhem 3 easier mode…but still died like 5 times. But i managed to learn his patterns and so on

1 Like

I agree Capt Traunt is unusually difficult. I thought it was cakewalk until his health got to 50%. His fire attacks kept breaking my shields and frying my HP. I think you’re supposed to have either a high capacity shield or a fire resistant shield…or both. And yes, your guns probably do need to be of a similar level as your VH.

1 Like