In need of job advice!

Hi all. I’m currently a full time student working weekends for a local online shopping company. However, they have offered me a (almost) full time position now at a higher rate than I am paid. I am debating with myself taking up this position, but not sure whether to take it. I would be working 6 hours a day, 4 days a week at £7.80 an hour, which makes it about £800 a month according to this income calculator. I would be working in populating their online stores with products bought in by my boss. To take up the job I would have to quit college - did anyone else here do this to work full time and have some advice? I enjoy what I do at the company but on the fence about leaving college for them. Someone persuade me to stay in work/leave for education? Could use some pros/cons of each.

Thank you in advance! :smile:

Don’t quit college. $1000 a month isn’t worth it.

8 Likes

What’s minimum wage in the UK - or do they even have one?

Big question is: do you want to spend your career doing data entry, or do you have ambitions beyond that? I’m with @Poisonedbite on this - stay in college and complete your program. If they like you that much, maybe they’d be willing to give you full-time hours in the holidays.

1 Like

College education seems to lend itself to fostering a career in one of three ways (anyone feel free to chime in if I’m omitting something):

1. There’s a strong vocation behind your educational path, and what you learn translates directly into a job.

2. There is no strong vocation behind your educational path, but this degree will allow you at some point to check the “I have a college degree” box at places that require it but don’t necessarily care what the degree is in.

3. You get deep enough into whatever field you study that there are no real jobs besides research at this level, so you become an educator in your respective field.

If your employer has a deep org chart and you otherwise like the company overall as a place to work (not necessarily your current position), stay in school, but keep your current position if you can; check the job descriptions for management or higher (or whatever you think you like there) positions and see what their educational requirements are. Some of them may ask for a non-specific college degree.

If they’re decent humans (some really are, but you’ll have to make that call), they’ll respect your decision to stay in college, and by the time you get a degree, you should still be in good standing for a promotion when a spot opens up, but now you have a degree and have demonstrated a commitment to a job there, which should favor well for you.

3 Likes

Thinking about this a bit more, that’s an oddly specific number. Again, I don’t know about current UK laws, but here in Ontario that would be the equivalent of getting just less than the hours required for statutory benefits to kick in. If that’s the case, then I’d suggest that’s another reason to not take the job - benefits may not seem like a big deal now, but if the job becomes your only source of income, it’s a big deal.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t take it. College is important and you don’t wanna give that up. You worked hard to get there and if you just stick with it, it will pay off later when you have a direction and a career to go into. If you leave college now, it’s likely that you will not return. Or in the chance that you do, it may be too late to find a career path to go on. Stick with the weekend work and focus on schooling :slight_smile:

Do you mind answering some questions? If so:

How close are you to finishing college?

How are you paying for college?

Would you be able to enroll in courses part-time, or take an evening course or two towards your degree if you took the job?

If you chose to not take the full-time position would you lose your part-time position?

I say this as someone who has incurred the majority of my personal debt in life attending college, which severely impeded my progress into adult financial responsibilities while paying off that debt.

~

Side note: Are you disciplined enough to commit to working full-time for a predetermined period of time and taking a sabbatical from schooling, and then returning?

Basically echoing other people’s points (and questions above). I’m obviously biased because college is my thing, but in my opinion having qualifications is almost always the best choice of investment in terms of time and finance. It’s obviously not for everyone (and people will want different levels of training), but having a degree - if that’s your course? - will help with employment and career progression in many jobs, even if it’s not related in subject. Even though there are obviously great jobs that don’t need college training, having it will give you a lot more options, so it could well be a gift for yourself.

The other thing, though it depends a lot on what you’re studying and why you’re there, is that education can have personal and philosophical advantages that a standard job doesn’t. For me it’s always been a place that I can think for myself, rather than in service of an employer’s end, and that’s really valuable.

So i guess my answer is less advice on whether to stay (because it’s such a personal thing and I don’t think anyone else could give you the right answer!) but just to give yourself some time to think over things like why you started college, what you’re hoping to get out of it and what opportunities it might open up - as well as what short and long term paths leaving would open.

Yes, we do :joy: The tories have been doing their best but it hasn’t descended to Dickensish Victorianism yet lol.

https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates

£800 a month puts you at about £10000 a year - see this site.

Don’t bother. Keep the weekend job and stay in college, get your degree then go full time somewhere else for 20000 a year.

1 Like

OP never replied back. For what it’s worth I worked 40 hours a week and went to classes in the evening about 4 nights a week. Got my associates and bachelors that way. Then my company gave me a raise.

2 Likes

lol, why even entertain the question $7 and change an hour and it’s even a question.

You could get a job scooping ice cream for $7

Well, seven pounds an hour when it was posted.

Regardless, given the distinct lack of any OP response I’m veering more towards “link spam” than a genuine question, and am closing the thread accordingly. (I’d thought the link was an official one but, on second look, it’s a commercial rather than government site. Time to kill it.)