Increasing weapon damage with Mayhem levels was a huge mistake

After blowing the dust off the ol’ Diablo III and playing it for a few weeks while waiting for GB to release this patch, it’s clear that a lot of the frustration that players are experiencing, and the sad state that this game is STILL in, could have been easily avoided. Had weapons remained capped by character level only, and not with Mayhem levels, players would have no issue scaling the difficulty down to suit their desired challenge. Instead, with weapons now scaling with Mayhem levels, players don’t want to play at lower Mayhem levels if better/more powerful gear can be had in higher Mayhem levels. This is a natural occurrence in psychology, the reason why many of us play loot style games is to perfect our builds with better and more powerful gear. The frustration is exaggerated further when a player obtains Mayhem level 10 gear only to find it as inadequate.

After weeks of leaving the game in a very poor state, this weeks patch was simply another blow to the face of loyal fans/players. Let’s go back to M4.

32 Likes

I would take old M4 back any time. Since Mayham 2.0 this game is going into the wrong direction and worse to play with every patch.

19 Likes

Same here, I don’t see the value in playing the game any further. I can torture myself to chase better gear, only to then find the gear to be inadequate come the next level cap increase. Rinse and repeat. I’d love to go back.

7 Likes

I played for about 4 hours. The drops still seemed pretty terrible and the balance was still beyond atrocious.The new raid felt like it was doing it’s best Destiny impression and i despise Destiny so that was a titanic miss for me too. Mayhem 2.0 really destroyed this game for me. It was GENUINELY on the right track then they just imploded it and I’ll be surprised if It ever gets back to being as fun as the mayhem 4 OG days now :frowning: Oh well, I’ll make use of my season pass I was silly enough to purchase at the games launch but on to other games in the backlog yet again as this update just didn’t do anything to keep me around tbh.

10 Likes

Would love to go back to M4 and abandon M2.0 nonsense

10 Likes

You switched to Mayham and found your weapons. You thought game is to easy? Go up a Mayham level and you don’t need to refarm gear, the game simpy got more difficult. That was actually great.

M10 today isn’t funny. People don’t play it to enjoy it, they play to get the best weapons. If weapon scaling wasn’t there, nobody would play M10 at all.

8 Likes

I’m sure there would be 1 or 2 people that enjoy torture.

7 Likes

THIS, THIS IS EXACTLY what the game needed!!

This way, all action skills would stay just as useful!!
Plus the no refarming detail.

GEARBOX WHAT THE HELL, I WAITED 1 MONTH TO PLAY AGAIN WITH IRON BEAR BUFFS FOR MAYHEM, AND WHAT DO YOU GIVE ME?!

Autobear annointment.

WHAT. THE. SKAG.

5 Likes

I think gearbox is scared of backing down on the mayhem weapons because of the hard farming sessions some players must have gone through.

I didnt. Because i was awaiting a Mayhem 1.0 fix. Where weapons would go back to being raw level only.

Honestly, id rather take all the pissy hate from the M10 farmers and let the rest of the playerbase be happy with their weapons AND ACTION SKILLS.

Before mayhem 2.0 i could take on wotan M4 with iron bear. Now he is just a get out of jail card.
THIS IS NOT WHY I CHOSE MOZE AS MY MAIN, DAMNIT!!!

5 Likes

I spent a ton of time farming M10. And I’d still rather go back to save the longevity of the game.

13 Likes

I have a bank of M10 weapons and would rather go back

10 Likes

My bank is full of m10.and id still rather go back

This mayhem lvls/scaling of gear makes no sense…its bad. It divides us up.

I can understand op.lvls because my gear is a higher lvl. This mayhem stuff is blah.

9 Likes

I never went past M6 because i dont wanna drag my poor ol’ bear through that sh*tshow.
Im so happy to see you M10 guys wouldnt mind it.

GEARBOX. DO YOU SEE IT TOO???

5 Likes

Agree 100%. So many of the problems in this game right now are directly related to this. It wouldn’t have been any harder (likely easier) to just make each mayhem level slightly more difficult since none of the items were getting more powerful. Then you only have to worry about scaling the enemy difficulty instead of scaling enemy difficulty, scaling new drops and somehow scaling older weapons to not be completely worthless (not to mention action skills, nades, artifacts etc…).

7 Likes

i thought were being very clear on why m2.0 and bl3 in general suck to gbx , but clearly not. lol

m4 was the best state for bl3 , very enjoyable to play , would be even better if that 100% annointed rate implement sooner . cant see myself going back to bl3 after looking into patch , in my mind , its just telling me to do even more pointless farming before i can actually start playing the game

1 Like

They are making same mistake as they did with Borderlands 2 OP levels.

And now they cant change it back because the portion of their fanbase that grinded and regrinded all the gear every time would cry a literal river.

Mayhem 4 with current roll mechanic wouldve been best.

2 Likes

I so 100% agree with this and this is a point I’ve been trying to make since Mayhem 2.0 got out. My biggest gripe about Mayhem 2.0 is not the bullet sponging gameplay we have to content with now, and that is bad enough. It’s this! I’m not willing to play any higher than M4 at all, and that’s pushing my patience already, but I always know that there are better versions of my gear out there if I put up with higher levels (won’t happen).

My solution? Scrap Mayhem gear scaling, raise the level cap to a point that makes even m10 gear obsolete, find a more feasible way to give a better challenge for those who seek it (expanding the true takedown mode difficulty from the raids to the rest of the game would be a good one) and forget that Mayhem 2.0 was even a thing.

Let’s just face it mayhem 2.0 sucks, action skills and grenades are useless the modifiers are mine craft mentality… m4 was fine … admit your mistake and and bring op levels gearbox are failing hard… cant wait for last of us 2

1 Like

op level are fine , you are actually earning those level through completing digi peak , and theres a lot weapon that actually kill stuff in reasonable time , all u have to do is slag and shoot crit also not playing gaige at 0 stacks lmao .

in comparison, theres no progression in m2.0 , u just select and play , theres no slag so if a gun is weak theres nothing u can do and 99% weapon doesn’t work .

loot system is trash too , tldr u can play at op10 with bad part but u probably cant play if u have ■■■■ annoint at m10 since the difference is like 2x damage difference

I don’t miss Slag or Digistruct Peak. The combo of UVHM and OP made me quit Borderlands 2 for good because the enemy got just too bullet-spongy. Slag-shoot-slag-shoot-slag-shoot was just too tedious. Slag was a nice idea and would have been a nice bonus, but to make it mandatory was the wrong decision IMO. 80% on my friendlist quitted, too. The ones that did not played Salvador and used Double Penetrating Unkempt Harold+Grog Nozzle or Ruby.

Now they’re making the same mistake in Mayham 2.0. Mayham 1.0 was fine, they only needed to add some more Mayham levels and overhaul the modifiers (and make them selectable by players) and everything would have been ok. As a bonus, they could keep it so that certain drops are M4+ only. So if you want this weapon you have to earn it. But first this weapon is not mandatory and second it doesn’t influence every other weapon in the game.