Instagram post says Guardian Takedown postponed

And your point in this? And I’m not the one to argue so I’ll leave as it is.

Is it really hard to understand? The poster i was replying to was upset that they didnt mention Floyd by name as he was some kind of saint … the guy was a pos by almost any measure .

You can talk racism that’s fine by me, but let’s not glorify a career criminal who held up a pregnant woman at gun point .

2 Likes

This isn’t directed at anyone, and I will be adding more to this but before discussion goes on I have a few things to say.

Firstly, thank you to everyone for keeping the discussion civil so far and not turning to slurs and offensive language.
Secondly, this is a heated topic and one that will be very heavily opinionated by many, however the FORUM RULES do still apply at all times.

Bear with me as I add any edits, this part is all guesswork from someone who knows nothing more about this than anyone else. So take any guesses I make with a generous pinch of salt.

It started that way, but there has been protests in London, Toronto, Berlin and across Australia.

Whether George Floyd should have been named is, in my opinion, neither here nor there. He’s the spark that set off this chain reaction but not the only case, from an outside view who never kept up to date on how often this happens in the US (amongst other countries) I don’t know how long this has been bubbling away, waiting to have something like this set it off.

Once again, as much as we probably want new content as a way to escape because it’s all you see on social media, news outlets, radio and so on, this may be an attempt to stop people burying their head in the sand to avoid having to address it where they live and have the difficult confrontations with friends and family who they may let slide normally because they’ve always been that way.

I want to close by stressing, this is all speculation as to why it has been done. I didn’t even know this would happen until after this thread came up.

9 Likes

@Tokesy97 Good point taken. Well Done. :+1:

Guardian Takedown postponed? Broken game “fixes” postponed? I think…we…got…jebaited.

3 Likes

11 posts were split to a new topic: Takedown Update Political Derailment Thread

They don’t, really. With such a short statement it was literally no effort at all.

That’s not true, either. There are protests taking place all over the world and it’s morphed into a more general protest against racism and violence against black people in general. In the UK Stephen Boyega included in his speech “we are a physical representation of our support for Stephen Lawrence.” Stephen was killed in a racially motivated attack that had nothing to do with the police

1 Like

while he undoubtedly was a low life, he didn’t deserve to die in the way that he did, pleading to be allowed to breath while one white police officer cut off his air supply and another three looked on. He’s a natural focal point because of the completely unnecessary, undignified and shocking way in which he died, but that doesn’t make him a saint.

2 Likes

I am disheartened to see the attacks on George Floyd’s character.

It seems to me to be very lazy to conflate his criminal history as it may be with what happened on the day he was killed lying face down in the street with another man’s knee on his neck.

I stand in solidarity with all people of colour and unequivocally call for an end to the oppression and brutal mistreatment that they face on a daily basis in a system that is rigged against them.

4 Likes

What the heck does this protesting have to do with anything about the update? Very pointless to announce a delay a day before. Just release the update.

6 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Inappropriate Posts

Let 'em work in peace and polish the patch nicely, I say. As for the BLM stuff, I’m also inclined to think it’s only part of the reason for the delay; I somehow can’t picture the protesters getting insulted by "goldarn 2K games releasing an update for their looter shooter *shakes fist* ", but A: if they want to show solidarity/signalboost/pull a public image stunt (pick your favorite based on personal cynicism level), then fine, and B: I’m only guessing anyway.

Don’t care about GBs political stance any more than I care what any other company I buy products from wants me to think. I’m able to separate the two nicely and have my own opinion. This is so blatantly self serving it’s a bit sickening. Unless the new content has themes that directly relate to the current situation and might be considered ‘insensitive’ then I fail to see the connection.

The game NEEDS urgent fixes that are weeks if not months overdue. Delay new content if needed but players are owed scaling, performance and other fixes.

21 Likes

I agree, they are using the current situation to mask the fact that they don’t have a patch ready. This isn’t solidarity, it’s a company trying to use the suffering of others in order to mask its own failings.

Just by looking at the posts in this section it looks like they were successful in getting people to divert attention from the fact that the game has not received a serious update in over a month and will probably continue like this for a while. I get that these are difficult times, but Gearbox should just admit that they are not able to stick to their current schedule instead of throwing smoke screens like this. Pathetic really.

15 Likes

I guess the timing sucked for their previous failures as there are plenty of horrifying injustices happening all over the world every day that could get them out of any work they like.

1 Like

It’s interesting they didn’t even give a date when to expect the new patch/takedown then. Could be next week, next month, next year, or never.

Great opportunity to leave the sinking ship called BL3 once and for all now.

6 Likes

No need I’m not offended by anyone’s right to their own opinion - it goes both ways.

I’m offended that GB has successfully deflected attention from their failings by getting us all caught up in a contentious political discussion.

They may as well have said ‘this weeks update is postponed due to abortion - discuss’. It’s like throwing in a grenade and running away.

18 Likes

@Kitty_Hellfire

Thank you for the laugh … I really needed it.

1 Like