Irreverent Humor

Claptrap, Tiny Tina, midget psychos, O MY!

Do you adore the childish humor that Borderlands is known for? Or do you despise it but play BL because the shooting/looting/co-oping mechanics are top notch? Or could you care less about the humor or to some extent not even the story itself (you’re just a trigger man)?

What do you love/hate most about the humor?

• Love it!
  • Hate it…
  • N/A - I just want shoot things and cause psycho funerals

0 voters

3 Likes

BL2 absolutely nailed the humor…lets not talk about the Pre-Sequel though…

5 Likes

Rarely is there a joke that even lands for me. For the most part I just play for the shoot 'n loot. And Gaige.

I’ve never found Clap, Tina, or the Psychos particularly “funny”. I’ve found them enjoyable and fun characters, but never LOL funny. The most many things ever get from me is a “heh…”.

Honestly, I think TPS did a decent job. The humor was much more dry. It was serious, but didn’t take itself too seriously… if that makes sense. I found myself in BL2 thinking “oh hey, they’re being zany again” while with TPS I actually chuckled because in many situations they just pulled something out and caught me off guard. Both were zany and a tad random, but TPS just landed more actual chuckles from me. I’d also like to say that I think TPS humor landed with less people because it was… I wanna say it was just more Australian compared to the mainstream American humor I see in BL2. IDK, maybe I’m just crazy.

5 Likes

Not all the jokes are great, but overall I enjoy the tone, in fact, without it, I’m pretty sure I’d have gotten bored of the game.

3 Likes

I love it. BL2’s over the top zaniness is right up my alley, for my liking it’s the funniest game I’ve ever played (the similarly idiotic Saints Row 3 takes 2nd spot, seems like there’s a pattern). What sets it further apart is the stellar voice acting, again among the best of any game I’ve ever played. Its humour is a major reason why I love this game so much.

BL1 (main game) pales in comparison, it’s got some funny stuff but it’s nowhere near BL2. Also it often doesn’t seem to know if it wants to be funny or not, maybe a result of its change of direction late in development. The DLCs were a big step up.

TPS however, its humour (or in my opinion, lack thereof) was the most disappointing thing about the entire game to me. I think it made me chuckle 3 or 4 times in the entire game, the rest of the time I didn’t find it funny at all. Nurse Nina is a very poor replacement for Dr. Zed, Pickle is an abysmal one for Tiny Tina. And perhaps worst of all, Handsome Jack was hugely disappointing. He was extremely good in BL2, I couldn’t get enough of his comments, but in TPS he’s just not funny at all and I wish he’d just stop talking.

So that’s actually been my biggest concern for BL3, that it would fall short in this regard again. However the footage seen so far seems alright–if maybe not quite up there with BL2–so since the gameplay reveal I can sleep at night again.

2 Likes

I love it as well. It’s very hard to get humor like this correct without coming off as “trying too hard” (something that often popped up in the DLCs), but this game seems to nail it perfectly. No other game that I have ever played has such perfectly executed satire, while also balancing some serious moments as well. Things like Face McShooty and the absurd stuff Jack says to taunt you over the intercom juxtaposed against serious moments like having to kill Angel to free her are what makes this game phenomenal.

It is going to be difficult, but I hope they can pull it off again for BL3.

4 Likes

I think I really enjoyed the jokes the first time I played the game. They really wore off quickly on subsequent playthroughs though, to the point where I’m usually left wondering “why did I ever find this funny?”

They don’T wear off for me at all. I’ve heard the same lines from Jack, Torgue, Scooter, Zed, Tina etc. dozens of times and they still give me a broad smile

1 Like

4 Likes

Mister Torgue was one of the few cases that managed to make me laugh. And stil can amuse me, just not in a laugh out loud way.
For the most part, a lot of the dialog in the main game was what ended up getting me into a burnout on the game a few years ago. And I am honestly stil not over it, simply hearing that dialog again is enough to quit the game for me.

One of the things I liked about TPS was that because it was blatently a story being told we got comments from the characters listening to it and it changed on playthroughs. Made me think that BL1 and 2 playing again on TVHM and UVHM should have been the story of the first playthrough being retold by someone like Marcus to kids like we hear on some of the intro/outros of the DLCs with all the comments, side talk, and interruptions.

2 Likes

Athena’s “high five and a turbo mansion” was a delight

1 Like

The “These pretzels suck” line (which was actually an ad-lib by the VA) always gets me.

4 Likes

Borderlands wouldn’t be what it is if the cheesy jokes weren’t there.

4 Likes

A pimentaco

4 Likes

Maybe a new thing will be new dialogue options at the start of the next play mode? Would certainly make grinding to the highest levels more entertaining…

2 Likes

Dialogue options at all would be a step in the right direction. And maybe even some decisions on a slightly larger scale than Sniper Rifle from Hammerlock or Shotgun from Claptrap…

On topic: the jokes are part of the game’s atmosphere and while I like maybe 50 % of them, they belong there. If I wanted realistic and humourless I’d play something else. It’s over the top, but it fits the game.

I would not miss the endless how to free Angel dialogue mid-game however…

5 Likes

I’m not sure splitting decisions in a game so heavily developed with co-op in mind would work well. Unless the choices didn’t have any lasting effects on other quests down the line…which if thats the case why even implement them.

I am a Witcher 3 kind of guy, and I always will be from now on. Borderlands games have always pulled me in with their story arcs and humor. Count me in on any and all games from GearBox. I don’t do this for any franchise or developer, but anything by gearbox or cdprojekt red is an automatic pre-order. I wish they could work together, good god.