Is it my pc or is it the game? Need help from fellow gamers

Hello everyone. Bought the game before release as I was so hyped but the game runs pretty bad.

CPU: i5 4670k

Graphic card: Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC

RAM: 8gb

Let’s be honest, I know my rig is pretty old but I used to run Destiny 2 on pretty high settings as much as The Witcher 3 and from benchmark websites like this (https://www.techspot.com/review/1912-borderlands-3-benchmarks/) I should be able to run the game at 55-60 fps with medium settings.

The reality is that the game runs bad even with the lowest settings enabled, usually the fps are steady at 60 frames, but in simple gun fights with not that many enemies and effects showing up they drop and the game stutters. I know the aim stuttering problem, I tried the fixes you can find on the internet and nothing worked. I also tried using the lowest settings I can and still the problem is there. Also using low quality Texture Streaming really ruins the details in closed environments as the texture for stuff like chests, posters, vending machines look super blurry until you pratically hug the object in question.
DX 12 didn’t fix the problem at all.

Could it be that my rig is too old? Or maybe just the CPU? Or is the game just optimized poorly even for older rigs?

It’s a little bit of everything. There isn’t one answer but yeah you CPU is showing age for a modern game. I used to have the same before I upgraded and I was tired of running into CPU starvation in games. On top of that, you only have 8GB ram and that GPU only has 4GB Ram. This is going to be hard for you to get any type of acceptable performance.

That being said, GBS could probably do something to help older rigs but at this moment in time, the game relies heavily on VRAM and texture streaming. I don’t think your system can keep up. Your PC will definitely not benefits from DX12. You can wait for GBS to fix (hoping they do) or upgrade your PC. There isn’t a simple answer.

1 Like

I understand the CPU is dated but it should really pass the required minimum spec and this looks like a more graphic card heavy kind of game. And as you can see on the link I posted benchmarks suggest the graphic card should keep up at medium settings… I’d like to upgrade my cpu but I’d need to change motherboard too as the new cpus use different socket. Just to know what did you upgrade to?

I went overboard. I got an AMD TR 1950x now with a RTX 2080Ti. I actually loan by i5-4670k / GTX 1070 to a fellow streamer in Texas(he’s part of my stream team) . He never had a pc for gaming before so I decided that offer him the opportunity to try it. As far as I know, he’s still using it.

1 Like