Is slam even a thing?

This is not a rant just an observation. I feel like slam is such a waste of a game mechanic. Like wisdom teeth it’s there if you want to use it but if it was gone you wouldn’t even notice it was there in the first place. For all the time and energy that was put into relics and class mods I would like to think that slam should have more utility than it does currently. It’s a fun concept but in my opinion gearbox executed the idea very poorly and i hope it gets a redesign or it’s perk items are removed from the loot pools completely. Whats your thoughts?

7 Likes

I tried to use it once in the slaughterstar arena. Never tried it again!!

2 Likes

They obviously did not put enough thoughts on how slam integrate in the game. Apart from cutpurse trick and bubble shield there no much use besides it is unpractical as you have to get onto something to be able to do it.

5 Likes

I think Amara is the only one who can use it most efficiently because of it being tied to an AS. Aside from some others using cutpurse/rockets.

1 Like

Did the mobs SLAMMED you instead? :smiley:

2 Likes

Never used, tried it and to me it is a total waste of time. Too hard to get right, I do not slide either, but i know some people have build built around it and enjoy it.
The one i do not get is this crazy airborne one. I just do not see it being useful at all.
AIRBORNE - So if i jump and shoot, does it count, or do i have to shoot and them jump as it make contact with the enemy? A jump is quick, last less than a second, how are you supposed to sync the jump with the bullet? It is all craziness to me.

3 Likes

Slam would probably be okay if you can trigger it once and the duration lasts for 30 mins.

1 Like

Projectile enhancements are upon firing. (the bane of charge weapons, unless you are boosted like WOTAN arena, or bunny firing)

1 Like

Exactly this. It’s like they grabbed the mechanic from TPS without any regard to BL3 having normal gravity in 95+% of its maps.

4 Likes

The problem with slam is the animation is FAR too long. It’s far too punishing considering you’re likely in any given point in the game to be surrounded with enemies who can deal LOADS of damage in the seconds that you’re stuck in the animation.
It’s gimmicky at best, aside from MAYBE Amara.
There’s loads of artifacts for it, but there are also artifacts that are far too valuable to make the slam artifacts worth it. Unless they had a slam artifact that causes you to regenerate health/cuts the animation by a third or makes you immune to damage while in the animation, it doesn’t really serve much of a purpose in the game.

2 Likes

That’s pretty much how it played out!!

1 Like

Agree 100%. The only way i see it being viable is if all you had to do was jump to go into the slam. The fact that you need to jump onto something however, renders it pretty much useless.

2 Likes

Phaseslam has nothing to do with slam artifacts, it doesn’t count as a slam. Just fyi

2 Likes

Wow, that’s ridiculous. Don’t have an Amara.

1 Like

FYI…Sparkplug relic and slam work very well against Rampager.

1 Like

Still a worthless anointment IMHO - A jump is like 1/2 a second, even with an AR or SMG you get off what maybe 3 bullets before touching the ground again? I see this as an anointment for Rocket launchers and one shot shotguns like the Flakker where you can jump and easily get that shot off before touching down. I think the anointment on any other weapon like AR, SMG, Pistols is a complete waste. Now i wish i had saved the airborne shotguns and rocket launchers. For now on i will save those

1 Like

Unlessssssss,… Mayhem2.0 has low gravity modifiers,… (puts on tinfoil hat):thinking:

3 Likes

Yeah, Slam is buggy too. I tried to use it one day farming Gigamind, sometimes it worked sometimes it didn’t… in the meantime while trying to get onto something and then jump and slam, I would be taking a lot of damage from incoming fire and sometimes downed. It’s a very very poorly thought out mechanic. If you could simply jump and slam that would make it a lot better but probably still something that I would never ever use…

4 Likes

Well, I mean the issue is obviously that one: it’s completely environmental. No Vault Hunter other than Amara can do a slam without something to climb on and jump down from.
Two: It’s not that good. Like, it’s kind of difficult to hit and the damage really is nothing to write home about, even with relics boosting it.

2 Likes

On low gravity maps it works pretty good with a Spark Plug.

2 Likes