Is the Fabled Tortoise worth using?

Wow, all this info makes me wish my vault was bigger :slight_smile:
On the topic of adaptive shields, does adding a relic with more elemental resist stack on top of this? My adaptive covers 47% of elements, and I have a relic that adds around 20% more to corrosive, shock, explosive and something called “non elemental” (I assume this just means physical like melee and bullets).

3 Likes

It does but I don’t know how the math would go. It’s not something I’ve really thought about because I don’t find those relics to be useful ( certainly not when compared against elemental, cooldown, health and allegiance relics ).

1 Like

Yeah, I have a purple 33% cooldown relic right now, and I’ll tell you, when I remove it I can notice. Especially since my mod doesn’t have cooldown either (I’m using a Terramorphous one, so it’s hard to turn down +4 in five skills).

1 Like

While most Slayer of Terra coms are considered ‘meh’, the one for Gaige gives her an additional 200 stacks of Anarchy, for a total of 600- really useful for when you want to tell a particular enemy to 'Eat this!" :grin: This has nothing to do with the subject at hand- I’d just thought I’d mention it…

2 Likes

Indeed, they do! And even more so when it comes down to guns. The “parts-system” is one of the things that make BL2 so special. Different parts can make a huge difference on two. otherwise, identical items.

That’s a nice one!

Keep your eyes peeled for a better one! The Slayer of Terra looks like a good one, but there are several COM’s that are much better.

2 Likes

I’m level 54 with my commando, so is my next best option for finding a better mod when I reach 61-62 and start getting chubbies/tubbies? I’m not far into the main story, and in the DLC I’ve only done Torgue (almost at the end where I fight Piston).

2 Likes

Yes, probably. I generally don’t recommend farming for specific gear while levelling up through UVHM, since you’ll end up re-farming it when you hit level 72 anyway. There are some exceptions for some of the easily farmable items (Fastball, Unkempt Harold, etc.) but I usually only do that if I’ve hit a point in the main story or a DLC where the current gear I have available is not quite what’s needed.

2 Likes

I’ve been trying to avoid too much farming, since it usually just burns me out. The harold, fastball, and Bee shields have been pretty painless so far, though I don’t always get the DPUH…sometimes it isn’t the double. Are the other variations still worth using, or should I toss them and keep looking for the double? Same for the fastball…sometimes it isn’t explosive (I’ve had a corrosive one my Siren picked up).

1 Like

Definitely. Each prefix relates to a different accessory, which impacts the gun’s performance in different ways. The Double obviously doubles the number of projectiles, but you can also get a bladed one (good for melee) and others that fire or reload faster, etc. Always test fire a weapon to see how it actually handles!

3 Likes

There are those of us here on the forums, @Jefe and myself among others, that prefer our Harolds in flavors other than double. Hard and Intense are both good, I consider the rest acceptable. Double I only consider acceptable on Sal (ammo regen), but even there I prefer other flavors. Axton coms? Have you seen a Legendary Soldier yet? They show up before 62, from any suitable loot source (best chance could be Mercenary Day train), and it’s one of the best coms in the game, imo.

2 Likes

In the item Finds of the Day thread I’ve posted pics of a couple of low level legendary coms, the last one being a level 20 L. Hunter IIRC so don’t think it can’t happen for you. As @paulothead said, the loot train would be your best bet but I’ve gotten coms from the other usual sources like Dahl red chests and the rare loot midgets that pop up in normal…

4 Likes

I don’t think I’m familiar with Mercenary Day, but I’ll check it out. I’ve never seen any low level legendary coms thus far (just some purple and blue).

So the Soldier works best with Axton? I always seem to gravitate to the Engineer ones, due to fast cooldown, which I love.

1 Like

I don’t know about “best”, but it is what my Axton runs with because it works well for me. I think the top gear thread refers to it as Axton’s premier mobbing com. It boosts all 6 tier 1 skills, and grants cooldown, fire rate, and gun damage bonuses. Depending on build and playstyle other coms are preferred. I know that Tediore chucking builds like Veteran coms, and before I got my Legendary Soldier I ran with a Master Grenadier com, because explosions. Axton is like BL2’S Swiss Army Knife, he’s got bits for just about any situation. I saw my first legendary coms around level 54 in the loot train. You can only get the first set (legendary Siren, Soldier, Hunter, Berserker, Psycho, and Mechromancer) there, the second gen only comes from tubbies post 62.

3 Likes

The legendary soldier is a pretty well balanced class mod. If you get one, try it. If you’re on XB1, I might have a spare in the 50-60 range on a mule somewhere. I wouldn’t necessarily go out of my way to farm one at your stage of progress, but I wouldn’t turn my nose up at one either!

3 Likes

I am on XB1, so sure, if you have one you’ve outgrown I could give it a try with a different point spread. Level 54 right now.

1 Like

OK, I’ll go through my saves at some point today - might have some other spare stuff I can drop for you. Is your GT the same as your forum name? Mine is Alkymist96. I’ll be on this evening some time (6-9 pm eastern, or roughly 8 hours from now).

2 Likes

Well, that’s good timing…I actually have a bit of time this evening (I have an odd schedule and often have day sessions, but today is an exception).

Gamertag is Back Lot Basher. I’ll send an FR and catch up with you between those times.

Thanks again for the loot offer!

1 Like

@paulothead said it already but I’m usually disappointed when I find the DP Harold. I just find it sluggish and piggish. It does the job but I traditionally use anything but. I’ve gravitated from the Hard (damage) version to the Intense (fire rate).

What’s actually more important is getting the Torgue grip. Reload speed on the Harold is pretty slow and it’s pretty grating get caught in reload at an inopportune moment ( FFYL ). Having the grip match the gun manufacturer improves reload ( and in Torgue’s case also increases damage ).

If you’re unfamiliar with gun parts, here’s a guide :

2 Likes

There’s also a guide for that here on the forums, funnily enough!

3 Likes

:wink:

1 Like