It's Official: Welcome to the ONLY Gearbox Software Forums!

(Influencer Guy) #101

Welcome aboard! :slight_smile:

1 Like
(Rick is my Spirit Animal) #102

Hello! :heart:

1 Like
(Maxen) #103

Just stopping in to say hello - first post, happy to be here.

2 Likes
(Dave3d) #104

Hello.

I just came back after a LONG time away (poor health, bed ridden, etc).
I could log on with my normal account from back then, but it says I am a newcomer to the forum, when I had a LOT of posts on the old forum (maybe 400-500+ posts and threads? ).

So, just asking, why wasnt my time on the old forums reflected here in the new forums?

Shouldnt all of these ‘unlockables’ already be unlocked for me, automatically, based on history?

Thanks.
Dave3d

(So long, and thanks for all the fish!) #105

Sadly, no. Everyone started with a totally clean slate on the new forums. One reason is that the underlying structures were simply too different to allow a port’n’merge of old and new. It was investigated, but apparently turned out to be too complicated to implement. I would not worry about the unlockables at all.

(Sheriff) #106

Nope, but the training wheels come off very fast, you won’t notice the difference after a few hours total

Welcome back :slight_smile:

(Dave3d) #107

Thanks for the replies.
And for the welcome back (carter).
:slight_smile:

(Dave3d) #108

So, I hope this is a quote.
It doesnt look like it.

But, 1 thing could have been easy to do, is have a crawler go through the site and record name, post counts, and maybe friends. Record them for each person.
Then, on new site, crawler goes through and puts back those basic items.

That would have been pretty cool.
:wink:

(So long, and thanks for all the fish!) #109

Highlight the text you want to quote; you should see a “Quote Reply” button appear. You can also do that while editing a reply, so you can include multiple quotes in the same post. Like this:

Well possibly, but it’s a bit late now. As I said, the initial thought was to port the old forum posts to the new, but that turned out to be impractical. It all got archived (I’m guessing using some version of the Way Back Machine), but a lot of things didn’t get included - typically, you just get the first page for each topic, so a lot of the internal links are permanently broken.

You’re right though, it would have been pretty cool. :dukeaffirmative:

(Mrwolfgarmw) #110

I had no idea where to put this but I have a song suggestion for BL3 as you have some good tunes for your other releases I was wondering about opinions on this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nU1VfYYKMDk

(Maining Ms. Phaseswole) split this topic #111

A post was merged into an existing topic: Connection to server lost

(For fun gamer) #112

Eh, u can’t beat the Vikings so I’m sticking with that

(For fun gamer) #113

Depends if their sticking with the heavy or not, but the songs pretty good

(Haze05) #114

thank you

(Eibwillkillmeish) #115

Any chance there is still a chance to chance upon a fix for the old forums by chance?

I found a thread I was pining for and all the posts I’m desirous of are after the first page… of course!

thanks!

( The Dogs Bollocks) #116

Why was the old forum archived, I thought it was going to be left to read for a sort of reference guide.

(So long, and thanks for all the fish!) #117

It was left in read-only mode for a while. I don’t know why exactly the decision was made to archive it (perhaps @JoeKGBX knows?). One potential issue I can see is that the system relied heavily on scripts to actually work. (EG if you wanted to go to page x of posts in a thread, all that was handled by a script.)

If the system isn’t being actively maintained, that becomes a security risk, and you don’t really want to be administrating two complex systems when you’re only really using one. The archive itself wouldn’t have been so bad if the process had gone more than one page deep per thread (turning the page links into static URLs). It’s a shame, because there’s quite a bit of useful information that is now basically lost to everyone. I’m not entirely sure what could be done about it though.

2 Likes
( The Dogs Bollocks) #118

That’s why I didn’t ask for several threads and topics to be brought here as I was left to believe that we’d be able to access it.
There’s also information on my profile page there I wanted to edit but can’t now.

(Eibwillkillmeish) #119

Any chance you can explain how to do the scripts? I want to get an old thread about my daughters. Found the thread by going through like 98 something pages of threads! Haha!

(So long, and thanks for all the fish!) #120

You can’t “do” them, as they simply don’t exist any more. The old forums archive is essentially a set of static pages with a lot of broken internal links. If you know something about what thread a post was in, and which forum/category/thread it was in, you can get to some of them by navigating the old forums. Some of the pages were also archived in the Internet Archive (but, again, many of the pages don’t go that deep.)

You could try doing a google search and include oldforums.gearboxsoftware.com as the first term (which limits the search to the old forums archive), but you may very well not get any hits.