It's too powerful *spoiler, kinda*

that’s because we’ve not had a weapon with this high base damage before. the monocle and unforgiven are also great overkill weapons, it just requires more precision.

3 Likes

If the monocle didn’t require me to no scope I would use it more.

You mean, if it didn’t require you to scope (without the no)

No, I don’t want to be atleast 100 yards away from an enemy to use the stupid scope.
If I could use this sniper mid range instead of working around a 14x scope it would be versatile. The woodblocker rocks because of it’s versatility, good for mid to short range sniping.

You guys do realize that the red text for the cannon is a response to all the nerfing,right? So maybe this one will stay as is.

3 Likes

Mayhaps you’re not aware…scoping in The Monocle has a bonus of 250% damage. Which is why the scope is set super long. As a kind of trade off.

Prismatic’s Monocle Math

3 Likes

It is not “too” powerful, please stop trying to limit other people’s fun. I like a challenge and using different builds, but sometimes I also like to blow everything up with a big boom stick.
BL2 was rampant with this kind of unnecessary nerfing and patching, even breaking the treasure room glitch, the one redeeming feature of DLC 1.

3 Likes

I’ll edit the post because this shouldn’t be nerfed, people like me don’t need to use it if we don’t want to

1 Like

Err… If you no-scope the Monocle it’s objectively just weaker than your average Jakobs sniper. The whole point of the Monocle is that you get a considerable boost to critical hit damage whilst scoped in. If you don’t wanna zoom in because you can’t deal with the zoom level you are better off using the Headsplosion, the Hunt(ed) or basically any other Jakobs sniper. Not zooming in the Monocle is like deliberately going for body shots with the Unforgiven.

3 Likes

I played with someone that used this gun
alot and they couldn’t keep up with me using the woodblocker because even when 50 feet behind me and using a rifle 5x more accurate moving position lost him the contest everytime. Finding a good spot to use that weapon is time consuming, and God forbid you have to walk to the other side of a building or mountain lol.
It’s scope limits sniping potential to areas with low coverage and plenty of open areas. For top tier snipers this is either the niche they needed or a one trick pony that is useful for one purpose, depending on playstyle.
Btw It’s been to long since I’ve done it but quick scoping wrecks with this gun and that’s still no scope aiming.

3 Likes

I agree with what you have said above (not regarding the Woodblocker, that seems a little hyperbolic, but IDL, haven’t tried it), but I also agree with what a lot of others have said.

The Ion Cannon is really situational. It is super powerful against bosses and larger enemies. It is not great in mobbing because the smaller enemies move faster.

I suspect GBX will nerf the mag size on the Ion Cannon to maybe 2 shots per mag (cannot recall how many ammo/shot it is now, I think 1), leave the rest alone, and call it good. I think that would be a fair tradeoff.

1 Like

It’s actually pretty good for mobbing but it pales compared to other newb tubes like the brainstormer (my fave) or cutsman when it comes to tight crowds.
I will say after seeing how it used by different people I’m actually starting to think we needed a nuke stick.

1 Like

Agreed that both the Brainstormer and Cutsman are much more powerful than the Ion Cannon when used properly. The Ion Cannon just has huge one-shot potential. It is not super-useful somewhere like the Slaughter Shaft or the Takedown. As long as it doesn’t trivialize the most difficult content in the game without some setup, I am not sure why anyone cares.

3 Likes

I just tried it out to see how it does. Its a good launcher. I kill annoited in 3-4 hits, depending if i crit. It is worth the charge time. Even not charging i killed a armored badass in 3 shots.

it’s the 1st time a heavy weapon has felt like a HEAVY weapon in BL3. it can still do negligible damage if you don’t charge it. best thing i’ve seen with it is splash dmging away a swarm of varkids with just one shot. (I got them back for you Gracie/Mordy/Hirschim) and one shotting fully shielded Maliwan Bad A-s with a well charged head shot. Idk if asking for nerfing is a good thing to do tho

6 Likes

Fixed it, shouldn’t get this response anymore.

1 Like

I beg to differ. I don’t think it needs nerfed at all though. This build is my new main choice for doing Takedown runs because it makes it pretty casual, even though the Wotan fight can get messy and is slower then my gunner build.

There are plenty of ways in this game to display this type of power, which is why I don’t think it needs a nerf in the slightest.

4 Likes

Through a very strange combination of mechanics, I managed to one shot m4 Athenas Traunt with one, using what is technically a Pet Damage Oriented Build. It was probably my 5th favorite Traunt kill. Honestly.

(Mechanics at play: red fang, hidden machine, turn tail, Overkill, gamma burst anointment causing a dot based on Normal weapon damage)

2 Likes

Cool video Kab. Even still, I do feel more like that is more of a “making it work” kind of build (not in the sense that it is not strong, just that you have to gear and spec specifically around the one RL).

Are you using mouse and keyboard? I am on console and have a really hard time aiming the Ion Cannon well enough to make use of it sometimes.

Yeah I play PC and use M&K.

I feel like that’s how the game is supposed to work though. A lot of things are good, but then they become amazing when specifically built for. So yeah, I have to add a passive to give it radius, but it still performs in that way with something in the game that is normal to have and use for a build. The majority of weapons in this game do not perform great on M4 without boosting them in some way, +smg +ar passives etc.

6 Likes