Just A Talking Point

Do You think Gearbox was out of there league? Let’s say Creative Assembly purchased HomeWorld, would we see so many issues? Truly , it took an dedicated PC/rts game developer like Creative to fix the Alien franchise , or could it have simply been Gearbox had to many candles burning.

Wat.

I don’t think they are out of their league. I’m pleased with the results so far. I’m excited for the changes they are bringing and the fixes and the adjustments going forward. A lot (not all, by any means, as I am one and do not share the angst) of HW1 veterans are mad and complaining on the forums. Mostly though, other people aren’t.

I’m excited they got on board with BBI for Shipbreakers, so that we have a genuinely new Homeworld game on the way that won’t be marred by Freemium complications.

Edit: The multiplayer situation is an evolving one. How I wish people would a) understand, and b) respect the “BETA” tag. They emphasize it VERY strongly. If the combined mode isn’t in a good place right now, they have HW1 and HW2 deathmatch rule sets. Otherwise they’ll polish it up over time.

5 Likes

Sorry, I paid $100 for a collector’s edition…throwing a “BETA” tag on the multiplayer doesn’t absolve Gearbox of releasing a finished product. Even the people who paid $35…since when did it become acceptable to release a Beta product and charge money for it? That’s like releasing a cell phone where only half of the buttons work and charging money for it.

Anyway, yea, I do think GBX was a bit out of their league. I never thought Borderlands was a great series…I’ve said this before, it feels like HW:R was built by people who love games, have a great marketing team, and are very technically skilled, but don’t really know how to make a cohesive game experience.

1 Like

Most of my feelings on the game can be broken down to this:

Did I have fun and get my moneys worth? Yes.
Could it have been better? Very much so.

What gives me the arrogance to make that last assertion? One need only look at the vast number of gameplay changes and sacrifices that were made to HW1 mechanics when it was moved to the HW2 engine (a sentiment shared by a lot of players, not just a “vocal minority”) and the huge imbalances in beta multiplayer. Yes, some of these sacrifices were supposedly well communicated by the devs to the player base.

However, my contestation is that the reasons for most of these changes and slight incompleteness of the game are due to the higher-ups at GBX pushing the game forward at an unrealistic deadline thus forcing devs to cut corners with the little resources they have within the small time they were given.

I have nothing but the utmost confidence that if the devs had been given a “when-its-done” approach, they could have probably worked wonders with the HW2 source code to recreate almost all of HW1’s gameplay and feel and within a timeframe more reasonable than the exaggerated and apologist claims of “That would’ve taken 5 years!”

Of course, GBX is a business and the longer it takes to make a game, the more it costs. But who’s to say that spending a little more to polish the game further would have yielded less profit overall?

2 Likes

No, I do not.

Why are we talking about this game like it’s already dead in the water less than a month after its release? The first patch addressed a TON of issues regarding stability, particularly when you consider the short window in which it was released. I’m very satisfied with what I got; no issues with the campaign, and while balance and game mechanic problems do exist, they didn’t mess with the core of HW: the art, story, and aesthetic. If they changed any of that, I would have been pissed.

There are going to be balance issues; there always are, even for games that took far longer to develop, had many more resources for development, and weren’t released as a beta. The game isn’t as “unplayable” as a lot of the HW1 vets are complaining about (for the record, I’m a HW1 vet).

Bottom line for me is I’ve had more fun playing HWRM than I’ve had playing any other game in years.

4 Likes

I doubt we would have received this massive level of interaction from the devs with any other publisher. Art book, soundtracks, shirts, collectors edition, and a new Homeworld game on the way? I’m quite happy. Gearbox loves this franchise and it shows.

2 Likes

Well, they love the franchise, but releasing art books, shirts, etc, is not really a singular example of devs caring about a franchise. Lots of other studios do this.

What I’d like to see is a lot more interaction from Gearbox. It’s pretty quiet, they rarely post, we have no idea what they’re working on…that’s interaction. Not releasing extra stuff for me to buy. By your metric, the Mass Effect devs have a HUGE level of interaction with the community by releasing art books, pins, buttons, hoodies, etc etc…

1 Like

It’s a shame because there are devs who are actively taking feedback from the community and promptly coming back with tweaks and changes based on that feedback however their efforts go a little unacknowledged and unpublished to the rest of the community.

Check this thread out where the developer Burleson regularly interacts back and forth with forum members and also introduces some really interesting UI changes such as drag handles and vertical icons (scroll down to around post 54 for those last two points):

I would imagine stuff like this merits a dev blog post or something similar (not just the dev tracker) so that it can be brought to more of the community’s attention.

1 Like

No communication? Checking the dev tracker, there’s around 12 posts today helping individual users out.

1 Like

Seriously. The Dev Tracker is crazy active, and 90% (subjective) is Homeworld.

1 Like

Yep… good example that one. I’m hoping the oar I stuck into that conversation will help get my UI looking something like it was meant to.

In fact that thread is the perfect example of how the dev’s should tackle all the forthcoming patches. By defining the parameters of the upcoming patch it allows the users to focus there concerns and issues showing the dev’s what problems need addressing in manageable bite sized chunks.

The com’s in the mod section are fantastic but if your not a modder I can see how the interaction with the team could feel a little sparse.

1 Like

I see BitVenom interacting with this community a ton. Does he not count? In fact, he spends more time talking Homeworld with you guys than Ive ever seen from any one dev when it came to Borderlands.
Dont discredit BitVenom and all he contributes. Burleson too. Appriciate it. Because they certainly dont have to chat.

6 Likes

When did gamers become subject to developers? They work for us, it’s them who should appreciate the consumer.Having a good line of communication is 2way street it benefits everyone.

Personally, while it’s nice to hear from them on occasion, I’d rather they be working on stuff that’s actually relevant to the game than giving us assurances and belly rubs that everything is gonna be OK. Don’t tell me about the pregnancy; show me the baby.

1 Like

They do not work for us. They work for Gearbox. We are customers. They are not beholden to us. Please do not fall prey to the idea that they owe us. Value what they offer. :stuck_out_tongue: It is far more than most.

2 Likes

You wrong, regardless of what type of work you do, it’s consumers who are the bottom line. Maintaining good customer service should always be anyone companies top priority. And try to look from another vantage point, feedback always helps.

Pahahaha what are you smoking, have you even opened the modding section? Dozens of post by the devs just in the last week. This has always been one of the biggest selling points for HWR was the improved Modding, you know if you bothered to read a single article or watch a single video on HWR.

Lol, ‘more interaction’ hahaha.

1 Like

It’s clear that the devs are very active to the mod community by the number of post and responses we see in the mod forums. But answers to ship texture questions a balance/bug discussion does not make.

Let’s just say that I’ve seen far better dev community interaction in both beta and post release discussions which include bug acknowledgement and status threads and item balance discussions started by devs in a universe called New Eden.

Just look at these threads on how developer discussion takes place to see what level of community interaction could be.

https://forums.dust514.com/default.aspx?g=topics&f=1775

All that is required here is setting expectations that just because a problem is identified, doesn’t mean it can be fixed right away, and just because something is on the road map isnt a promis it will happen. But what it gives the community is confidence that the team is working on particular problems, the order of importance of those problems, and community comfort that they are being heard.

Communities are smart enough to understand the difference between a patch and a hotfix, are smart enough to be educated on the effort involved and the minimal amount of time it takes to deploy either. The worst thing a dev group can do in my opinion is not communicate, or give vague communications.

An answer such as “we are aware of the double damage problem with units x, y, and z and antisipate this issue to be resolved in our next scheduled hotfix” or “the issue identified cannot be remediated with a hotfix, however we are road mapped to address this in our next patch” or " we are monitoring this issue closely but don’t feel we have enough information/ test data to make a decision just yet. Have you considered x?" goes a LONG way in building community confidence.

2 Likes

Don’t even get me started on eve and their horrible horrible treatment of the community. That place and the devs there make me sick. While they’ve had 10+ years to refine their bug fixing(what a shocker that that’s the one thing that they seem ok at) they haven’t made a single step toward treating their customer base right.