Just some Polls my fellow Beta Vault Testers

Mr. Pitchford is asking

so let’s answer via polls

Would you be okay waiting longer for these free updates?

• Yes
  • No
  • Maybe

0 voters

How long are you willing to wait?

• 1 week
  • 2 weeks
  • 3 weeks
  • 1 month
  • 2 months
  • 3 months

0 voters

Do you want to be one of the lucky beta testers?

• Yes
  • No
  • Maybe

0 voters

Edit. Hope they are beta testing already,

12 Likes

Whatever gives the developers an easier time. I hope they’re not contractually obligated to put something out even if its unfinished every week.

6 Likes

I mean it slightly blows my mind that implementing test servers is even a question at this point; but yes, that is the right move. If it makes all of the content releases actually functional that’s the way to go.

12 Likes

they can give early access to their stream team and to those they consider ultimate vault hunters to give feedback before rolling it to us.

4 Likes

Frankly, at that point I’d prefer to play the test version. I would prefer they take the time to release more polished content, but once it’s out to the players, you might as well just let whoever wants to test it.

1 Like

I 100% appreciate their efforts to add content and not charge extra. If only a handfull of people enjoy the content though, perhaps the efforts are better spent on something more people will enjoy?

The more eyes they get on it, the more feedback as well. My feedback is ditch the jumping puzzles and cheap game mechanics.

7 Likes

I’m actually kind of surprised that the Takedown came out in the state that it did: I know there are a lot of real world issues right now, but it was supposed to come out last month. Then it got pushed for another week. People realized that health values were messed up a few minutes after starting it.

What I think would be the problem about testing, is that Gearbox might be more afraid to lose players due to a stale game, than to keep them involved (though frustrated) with more regular updates. It doesn’t matter what we say, if the active player count drops.

At least, that’s what I think may be their concern. Now, does that make sense? To me, not too much. Borderlands isn’t Battleborn, even if it bleeds players for a few weeks, so what? If people come back and buy DLCs (and I’d be sure enough they would), why do you need so much engagement in a PVE game?

5 Likes

After re-reading the tweet, I realize now that he’s being snarky / sarcastic. So this guy seriously thinks jamming half finished, half-tested content into the game is totally fine just because it’s free, rather than taking the time to make sure it is polished before release like…pretty much every other good developer. Um, does it really need explained that testing is how you make sure the game doesn’t break in unexpected ways. This really explains a lot…

10 Likes

i am hearing some rumours that the main game and dlc’s is also not play tested in all levels. They just adjust it via weekly hotfix based on submitted tickets.

M2.0 is optional? There is an alternate end game I’m not aware of ?

6 Likes

Games as a service. It’s a wonderful thing. AAA game studios are the best.

3 Likes

You can’t make this ■■■■ up.

5 Likes

If I didn’t like it, the entire rest of the game (that was presumably fine) is still there. It’s weird to me that the complaints about free options have the rhetorical slant that the entire game is now unplayable because of them. If they added a Guardian Rank that I didn’t like to the game, I’d similarly just disable it and give some constructive feedback. If the fourth DLC sucks, I’ll skip it and give some constructive feedback while playing the rest of the game. If they add a new skill tree and it’s broken/boring/whatever spooks players the most, I’ll skip it and continue to use the existing trees while giving constructive feedback.

The idea here is that if you don’t want to be a beta tester, all you have to do is skip/disable the content that you don’t like and leave the feedback to the rest of us; the rest of the game is still there, unchanged. (There’s always room on the other end of the hyperbole spectrum for, “■■■■ this game, there hasn’t been any new content for a whole two months” if they go that route).

If the design decisions are what irks the player (don’t like jumping puzzles, fights are too hard, don’t like the arena styles, combat mechanics, whatever) that’s not a beta-tester issue; the content is working as intended, and this content just isn’t for you. If some mechanic in this DLC isn’t working properly (like the drop rate apparently, though I can’t speak to that myself), that’s a legit concern.

If the design decisions aren’t to your liking, Gearbox should still hear about it, but, “I’m quitting the entire game because this one new mission is too hard” is a weird way to phrase it.

Like what do you say to someone who, for example, quit playing BL2 because they didn’t like the combat balance in the Wedding Day Massacre (ignore that it was a paid DLC, not free like this)? The rest of the game is still as fine as it was before. If you’re going to write off the entire game because a piece of free content had design decisions you didn’t like, maybe you just don’t like the game? If you like the game, give them some constructive feedback and continue to enjoy all the other game content.

9 Likes

Amen!

I hate ppl who tell.em to play on m0 btw or a lower mayhem… Im shredding the game. Its just friggin… Forget it.

6 Likes

What The Flaming ■■■■

The dude is Litteraly asking wth a sassy tone “Do you want us to be like other company and beta test our update”.

HELL. TO. THE. YES.

That’s exactly what we’re bitching about dude : The fact you think your whole playerbase like to be beta tester.

Most of us barely have playing time at our ages, do you think we find it fun to connect and see a game riddled with bug cause “■■■■ it, let people be our free beta tester”?

10 Likes

The main game still has VH skills that do not work properly and there are other bugs and issues that haven’t been fixed since day 1

We paid for a game that doesn’t work properly. We can wait until you try to fix your free content to discover it doesn’t work properly at a later date

7 Likes

yep, I was about to post the same. He’s basically trying to avoid responsibility for it and passing the buck to the consumer. If we say “yes,” he has licence to take his sweet time and say we asked for it. If we say “no” then he can say it’s not his fault things aren’t working properly as we demanded instant gratification.

But it’s all BS. He can’t blame releasing a shoddy product on the consumer. They’ve had years to develop the game and if they haven’t managed to make it work that’s on them. As you say, other developers manage to do it so this is a GBX issue and they should step up. And things like Mayhem 2.0 have a massive impact on the entire end-game. If they didn’t test that properly before releasing it that beggars belief, quite frankly. It has the potential to completely change the game so that’snot something they should just cobble together and push out regardless.

6 Likes

Thats a good damn summary

4 Likes

Randy is out there spouting ■■■■■■■■? What else is new.

He’s not asking a serious question, he caught wind of how pissed off the community is and is trying to play a good guy to cover for incompetence of his leadership. That’s all there is to it.

6 Likes

2 weeks of testing with gear editors in the hands of the players who know game mechanically is enough to get rid of a lot of issues and find a lot of outliers. testing is testing playing is playing. if your play test consists of someone farming for 24 hours they will not get much done.

5 Likes