Laptop performance thread

Hi everybody!

I just discovered this game, and I’m really excited about it! I really enjoyed the 3 original Homeworld games.

My main PC is currently a laptop. Many laptop CPUs are relatively underpowered compared to the minimum system requirements, hence my proposal: to centralize all laptop performance-related posts in this thread, so we can easily learn from each other what kind of performance we can expect from our machines.

Don’t forget to share your specs when posting! Mainly CPU, GPU and RAM.

3 Likes

Downloading the game right now! Tonight I’m going to give it a try. I’ll post my specs along with the performance data.

Hi,

I have an Alienware R2 2015 edition:
CPU: Intel I7-4710HQ @ 2.5Ghz
RAM: 16GB
GPU: Nvidia 970m

It’s worth nothing that the first time I played the game I was getting terrible performance, around 11FPS - 23FPS even on lowest settings. It turns out the game didn’t automatically run on my dedicated GPU, once I went into the Nvidia control panel and forced it to run on my 970m I was able to run the game on max with 60fps. There are occasional framerate spikes though, most noticeable when units explode.

1 Like

Thanks for reporting, Simon! The game using the Intel instead of the Nvidia GPU seems to be a common issue.

When you say it runs at 60fps do you mean out of combat? Whenever combat starts I find my frame rate drops slightly and then when the action is hectic, the frame rate can drop to the mid 30s.

Running a GTX 980 Ti btw.

First missions played, I can’t say I’m happy, but my laptop does not meet the minimum requirements, so I can’t complain.

Specs: Intel Core i5-4210U (1.7 >> 2.4 GHz), 8 GB RAM, Nvidia Geforce 840M
Settings: 1920x1080, textures Medium, everything else Low/Off

I get 20-30 FPS, most often 21-25, but in some moments FPS go down to 14 or so. I find it playable, of course a shooter is not playable at those FPS, but I’m OK for now. I only pray it doesn’t get worse in later missions!

I managed to run things fine on medium-high on my 2012 macbook pro with a 1gb nvidia card.

I managed to run things fine on medium-high on my 2012 macbook pro with a 1gb nvidia card.

According to the specs here, it has a Quad-Core i7 and GeForce GT 650M:
https://support.apple.com/kb/SP694?locale=en_US

Is that right?

Yea, that’s the one. It’s not too intensive, or at least I didn’t find it so.

Running on i5, GTX 950M and 8GB RAM

Looks like i found a solution for my personal performance issues. (played around 10-20 fps permanent)

The option which was not activated automatical was the “hyperthreading” of my GPU. After that, running solid on utlra settings except some minor spikes.

Schenker XMG P702 (Clevo)
GF GTX 780 M
Core i7 4800 MQ 4x2,4 i think
12 GB RAM

Interesting. How did you activate this option?

simply go into your nvidia options-> 3D options -> check in the window below -> threading optimized.

since i use german language i dont know the exact spelling of this option.

Danke schön!

Hi, thx for the thread.

CPU: i5-2430M
GPU: Nvidea GT 540M
RAM: 8GB

HW Remastered: I can play on the high settings with no issues at all.

Deserts of Kharak: At all round low settings, the drag-box chases my mouse when when i drag it from left to right. It is impossible to play at all!

My rig is old but it can handle HW Remastered with no issues. However, it can’t handle DOK. What gives?! I think will put DOK on the shelf until it is optimized by the devs…

Ppl are complaining about getting 35 fps and i am here wishing that i have 35 fps. I have now only 10-20 fps in the Boneyard. XD

Sony VAIO Flip15A with Intel Core i7-4500U @1.8GHz, 12GB RAM, SSD, Nvidia GeForce GT735M 2GB.

IGfx is set to cap the refresh rate at 48Hz. DoK video settings are:

I’m getting mostly 25 - 40 fps in-game. Last level played is Khalash wreck.

@Simon,

Would like to append to your information; when modifying the options to run the game on the laptop’s dedicated GPU there are a number of steps that should be taken (I learned this the hard way after restarting multiple times and frustrating myself :smiley:).

You do have to go into the NVIDIA Control Panel> Manage 3D settings (like you stated), ‘1. Select a program to customize:’ under ‘Program Settings’, choose the game (be it on the C:\ drive or another, it may need to be added if you have it on another volume), go to ‘2. Select the preferred graphics processor for this program:’ , select ‘High-performance NVIDIA processor’, NOT ‘Use global setting (High-performance NVIDIA processor)’.

Lastly, as @gothg33k mentioned, under ‘3. Specify the settings for this program:’, highlight ‘Threaded optimization’ and select ‘On’ in the drop-down box.

Alienware 17 R3
CPU: i7 6700HQ 2.6GHz (TB3.5)
GPU: GeForce GTX 970M
RAM: 8GB
M2:250GB
HDD: 1TB
Windows X

There wasn’t any improvement when I turned on Threaded optimization on my VAIO. So I decided to try it out on my Dell M4700 to see if giving it more cores to run on will help.

I don’t have hard numbers but the game played smoothly, and on ULTRA settings. Needless to say, I’m happy and will replay the campaign levels I’ve completed so far.

For my initial test, I played the Whispering Gallery level so that I have time to look around and enjoy the scenery. I played it on plain ULTRA and also ULTRA with NLIPS off - to see the scale of the vehicles.

My config is:

CPU = Quad core Intel i7-3840QM @ 2.8GHz (turbo @ 3.8GHz); RAM = 32GB; Samsung PM830 512 GB SSD
Video = 1920x1080 native resolution; IGfx refresh rate capped at 40p Hz; NVidia K2000M with 2GB video RAM

I have a dual monitor setup so I had Windows 10 Resource Monitor up on the other display. 2 CPUs were significantly busy compared to the others. The rest though, were not completely idle. They were fairly busy as well.

Also noticed that load times were significantly faster. With the VAIO, which as 12GB RAM, it took aound 2 mins for a level to load. With the DELL, it only took around 40 seconds.

I still don’t know if the game performed better because the DELL had more cores or that the i7-3840QM had more muscle (faster CPU, better cache, etc.) than the i7-4500U. I’m just happy that I can play on ULTRA :wink:

EDIT: Forgot to mention frame rates… Though it was all over the place, between 17-40. Most of the time, it hovered around 23-37 fps.

Mine is in this thread already: