Launcher Crashing Woes

Since this game was released almost a year ago, I have been unable to launch it through Steam as the launcher always crashes. Launching Homeworld 1 by using a shortcut with “-dlccampaign HW1Campaign.big -campaign HomeworldClassic -moviepath DataHW1Campaign -mod compatibility.big” added works just fine, so the problem doesn’t appear to be with the games themselves.

I could play the game using this shortcut, I suppose, but I’d rather not as Gearbox themselves have recommended against it. I’ve been holding out for a patch to fix this issue, but no such luck.

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this? It seems like I’m not the only one with this issue, but I haven’t been able to find any working solutions online.

I have reinstalled the game several times on Steam and verified its file integrity. I have disabled all Anti-Virus software before launching it. I have updated my graphics drivers and even bought a new video card, but the problem persists. Since the game itself works fine, I’m not sure if it’s really a graphics-related issue, but who knows?

I’m not having any issues with any other games… in fact, Gearbox’s own Borderlands 2 and Deserts of Kharak both work just fine. I’m running Windows 7 and I have a GeForce GTX 960.

Please help. Huge Homeworld fan here. :slightly_smiling:

I know my launcher/games crash if I have any of the .exe’s set to run as admin or if I mess with any compatibility settings. But I’m on win 10 so it’s probably a completely different issue.

I have tried starting the launcher with all compatibility settings on, all of them off, as an administrator and not as an administrator, and the result has sadly always been the same - crash.