Learn something new every day

Researchers from the The Field Museum of Natural History in Chicago analysed presolar grains found in the Murchison meteorite that fell in Victoria, Australia, in 1969… most of the grains had to be 4.6 to 4.9 billion years old, and some grains were older than 5.5 billion years… long before our own sun had been born.

Of course we know the real truth : Satan planted the meteor to trick us into disbelieving the Bible. Get thee behind me S____!

2 Likes

https://www.bbc.com/reel/video/p0808hpm/the-teenage-dutch-girls-who-seduced-and-killed-nazis

1 Like

Well, now I know!

The average person in rural Ireland before the Great Famine consumed about 40 to 70 potatoes everyday. That, with buttermilk, was it (actually a surprisingly nutritious meal, but not a tasty one).

1 Like

That sounds like an extreme amount per person, unless these were all ‘new’ potatoes? Does you source give an actual mass of potatoes? Still, a diet of nothing but potatoes and buttermilk does seem like a good reason to invent Guiness…

About 7kg a day I think, the potatoes weren’t the same kind we would eat now (they were selected for high yield rather than eating pleasure unfortunately). If only you could make Guinness from potatoes…

1 Like

Stout vodka? That’s a tough sell.

So they ate in 1 day what i eat in probably 6 days?

1 Like

You’re not up to 19th century Irish standards but that’s still a fair number of potatoes Pie! I’m impressed :grin:

But yes, that was all the rural poor ate then — other crops like grain were exported to Britain, and the soil in much of the west was too poor to grow much else anyway. With the buttermilk it was comparatively very nutritious though, and the population was able to grow hugely (causing all the more suffering when blight hit in 1845).

I learned that San Francisco has a serious poop problem today.
And I can’t stop laughing about it.
I am a horrible, horrible person.

5 Likes

Fish waffles are a thing, and they’ve been around since at least the 15th century.
http://medievalcookery.com/recipes/fishwaffles.html

2 Likes

I recall some time ago we were talking about Roma aka Romani aka Gypsies somewhere - Discord perhaps. I came across it today in relation to an article about the recent Slovak election (the new PM vowed more support for Romas). So where the hell do they come from, thought I? And do they have their own language or dialect?

Interestingly their roots are in west India (Rajasthan, Punjab). There was a mass migration in the sixth century. It took about 500 years to get established in west Asia so I expect a few hundred more years to get to the Balkans, Hungary, etc. They are unofficially considered part of the Indian diaspora, although there has been a recommendation for the Indian government to make it official. Their numbers can be counted all over Europe, Iran, Turkey and Russia ; also USA, Canada and Brazil have significant populations.

The Romani (no relation to Romanian) language is Indic with roots in Sanskrit, but naturally it’s splintered into various dialects and has combined with the local languages. The language is officially recognized by Finland, Norway, Sweden, Germany and Hungary.

2 Likes

Etna (as in Mount) aka Ætna (archaic) means “I burn” in Ancient Greek.

3 Likes

Today I learned to be afraid of Google’s DeepMind.

2 Likes

Today I learned that Millenials are… well, doing something to Buddhism. Whether they’re ruining it or improving it depends on your perspective, I guess?

https://www.bbc.com/reel/video/p0862547/the-millennial-nuns-practicing-a-forbidden-ancient-skill

Hopefully Disney won’t come along and ruin this some how.

2 Likes

The longest full title of any Oscar-nominated film (with 85 characters) is Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines or How I Flew from London to Paris in 25 hours 11 minutes (UK, 1965), which was nominated for Best Writing, Story and Screenplay.

4 Likes

That is a great, fun movie! Precursor to the animated “Dastardly and Muttley” series. Was that one of the Hanna-Barbera ones?

Edit: Yup.

4 Likes

Oh man, I haven’t seen “Catch the Pigeon!” in years! I loved that show!.

I thought Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb could give it a run for its money. Not quite.

3 Likes

4 Likes