Learning curve too steep compared to expectations?

I’ve talked to some people here and there, read some reviews, seen some forum posts about how the game is bad etc. I can’t quite figure out the real reason people don’t like the game, because I honestly doubt it’s because of bad matchmaking and “poor” balance right after a launch. I personally didn’t really find any of these issues that bad at all, as soon as I changed my steam download region at least. However, this is not supposed to be a discussion about just the few issues specifically.
I also think that most mature people will recognize that these issues are common in games right after launch and not give them too much merit. I want to try and figure out why some people dislike it, and my idea is that the learning curve is too steep compared to the expectations people enter the game with.

When I first tried the CTT, I didn’t know what to expect, so I basically had no specific expectations.
I went in just thinking that it looks cool, funny and like just another FPS game.
When I began playing it, I became incredibly confused and overwhelmed with information, about an hour later though, I had found the best game I ever played. I’ve probably got about 120+ hours if you add up all the tests at this point and it’s rising.

This was my first impression experience with the game when I didn’t exactly have any expectations, all I knew was that it was a new FPS game and that I was growing pretty bored with most FPS games out at the time. I don’t think a lot of people went in with the same expectations, or lack of, that I did. From what I gathered from the people I talked to, read about on the forum and some of the reviews.
It seems to me that they went in with a expectation that the game is yet another FPS game and that it IS similar to other FPS games they’ve played. If somebody does that in this game, then going straight into PvP, or even some PvE mission, is going to become a rude awakening for them.

I think that if you go into a game like this with the wrong expectations, then you’re probably going to have a pretty bad time because you suddenly need to climb a fairly steep learning curve compared to other FPS games. Which I believe is pretty frustrating.
I had this issue when I started playing Company of Heroes for the first time when up until that point I had been only playing Command & Conquer games. I got my ass kicked by the Easy AI like six times before I learned how to play to the degree I needed. The only reason I stuck through that frustrating experience was because I thought the game had great potential for fun, if you knew how to play it. As it turned out, I was completely correct, the game was incredibly fun to play once you got past the steep learning curve, but not everyone is going to realize this with all games and might miss out because of it.

What I want out of this thread is discussion on the topic and whether or not you agree/disagree, why and maybe some examples to why.

2 Likes

Honestly I agree with you. The game is different and people I feel expect it to be easy, but you have to work and try at it. I have put a number of hours into the CTT the Beta and the game itself. I enjoy it I am good at it. sure there are a few underlying issues but so what its a new game. Better than being bored with a severely unbalanced FPS. For those who complain so much I truly feel that its because they are not good at the style of game or at least just not used to it.

2 Likes

I personally don’t think the learning curve is that big. I play this game with my girlfriend who has none experience in games what so ever except the occasional CoD game with me against recruit AI. And we died the first mission we ever tried by rushing and chopping with swords and looking cool. But we realised by that one game that we needed a different strategy to complete the mission which we did. The thing is just that people should go in a private match first so you can take your time and read all the skills for the character you choose. We took (no joke) 77 min on the algorithm the first go that we completed it by just reading what skills did. And by this way we picked it up by doing the next mission with different characters and again it too over 70 min lol. but we picked it up quickly by taking our time and now even she is getting proper kills in missions and using skills correctly. If you go into multiplayer straight away you will have people take all the kills and you just try to keep up which is frustrating cause they will rush and you would have no clue what you have done.

Long story short people should take their time to learn a game by playing the campaign/story before going online. I do this in every game I play. Just go to multiplayer if you really understand te basics.

I find this true as well in many games. The tutorials alone don’t teach enough of the game to really appreciate them often. I also try to take my time to read about how to play instead of just trying it, because in more complex games, I know I will have a bad time if I don’t. I think a lot of people don’t realize that the game might be pretty annoying if you don’t know what you’re doing.

I tried Paragon about two weeks ago and I kind of wanted to jump straight into a bot match and try stuff, but I figured I should probably familiarize myself with a single hero before jumping. I was glad I did, because when I got into a game, I realized that if I didn’t read up on him, I would have just failed and become bored quickly.

1 Like

The struggle in story mode is that defense-style gameplay requires a radically different approach from most see-and-destroy FPS missions.

I hope more FPSs are like Battelborn to be honest.

1. The first story mission was tough solo. Real hard for me. It was a refreshing treat to be challenged, as oppossed to mashing buttons and infinite re spawns.
  2. 20 characters means I explore new tactics, play style often. It’s great.
  3. The dialogue and chatter chatter is pure Gearbox goodness. I feel like I’m getting some of that much loved Borderlands theme and humor.
3 Likes

In fact it’s 25 characters currently with 5 more to come, so even more change to explore new tactics and play style. :slight_smile:

Battleborn does have a bit of a learning curve to it, though this is one of the things that attracted me to the game. I like something that isn’t just simple (another reason I didn’t like Overwatch, as well as it being a twitch shooter with low TTK there wasn’t much to learning the characters) and needs a bit of time to get to grips with.

Whilst the prologue was useful in getting you started, it probably could have gone into a bit more detail about the character skills and especially the helix. TBH though it doesn’t take too long to figure it out. What will take time is mastering each of the characters and that’s where the longevity of the game is.

It really comes down the the gamer and what s/he wants. Some people will want something they can pick up and play with little or not thought required, in which case Battleborn probably isn’t for them. For those that don’t mind a bit of learning and time to master characters, Battleborn is a great choice to play.

I think one of the biggest problems this game has is that it doesn’t really know what it wants to be, and that makes it difficult for people to look at it and think yeah that looks like the sort of game I would like to play.

It’s been labelled with quite a lot genres over time, and before you get upset with what I am about to say, it is just my opinion as a fellow gamer who loves video games. The genres this game has been labelled with (I don’t just mean by GB, I am talking generally) are actually genres that I tend to steer clear of. That is moba and ranked competitive shooter, and before you go it’s a hero shooter or whatever, I am saying that before I played the game those were 2 of the things I had in my head when I imagined what the game would be like to play. Now I don’t dislike those style of games, I have had some fun with moba’s and FPS’s especially online multiplayer ones probably make up 50% of my game time. The problem comes with the people these sorts of games attract, not all of them! But the vocal ones, the ones who keep an open mic and scream at you for having the audacity to need 2 seconds to go toilet. Or the people who bully others and are basically repulsive human beings, but it’s not just that, I guess you can sum it up as people who take the game waaaaaayyyy to seriously. Thing is, I don’t want to play with people like that, and if it hadn’t been for the beta, where I got to see the PVE side of things, I probably wouldn’t have bought this game.

A bit long winded maybe, but that’s an insight to how I felt about the game, and I keep up to speed with gaming news etc. So whilst yes I don’t know everything there is to know about Battleborn, I probably had a better idea of what it was actually going to end up like than the average gamer, and I definitely had my reservations before buying.

While I’ve not noticed too many of those people you described, they are definitely present in Battleborn as well. About the genre issue, I also really agree that it’s a hard game to describe in a way that the game will meet realistic expectations so people don’t become mislead and know what they’re getting into. This was an issue I was wondering if I should bring up in the initial post, but thought I’d see if anybody else brought it up first so to not make the post too long. I think Gearbox would have benefited from spending more time on a good description to back the game up with in marketing.